OPINIONS: Filled crack near truss plug - DEALBREAKER?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ColdUpHere, Dec 28, 2018.

1. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

That crack is a serious defect. It is located at a pressure point. It might never grow at all. Or it might continue to split over the years, particularly if the truss rod is tightened. It's wood, and this stuff happens despite nest efforts and good workmanship. But it's still a defect, and absolutely grounds for rejection. No one would buy it were the crack visible.

2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Well, it's cosmetic and not structural, so to me, it really becomes a matter of spending time on it or not. If I didn't think i'd ever sell the guitar, I wouldn't bother with it.

fenderchamp likes this.
  3. ColdUpHere

ColdUpHere TDPRI Member

Okey dokey. The top guitar is Canadian White Ash. Heavier than Swamp Ash. You can find Sher-Wood hockey sticks and various makes of Baseball bats made from White Ash. Will it have tone mojo? That is the question. I'm only using Tru-Oil for these builds. There is a lot of contrast between the necks and the bodies. But if you get up close and personal with the bodies, you can see a lot more grain detail than what you get from these photos. The bottom guitar is Canadian Pine. FWIW, the seller gave me a $20 refund on the repaired neck. I have also sent pictures of that neck to All Parts to see if they care. But because I bought the neck through STRATOSphere on ebay, at nearly 1/2 the cost of buying it through All Parts directly, I'm not expecting much. If All Parts doesn't reply soon, that neck is getting fastened!
    ash-front.jpg ash-back.jpg pine-front.jpg pine-back.jpg

jonnyfez and Blue Bill like this.
  4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I love the grain on that white ash. My very first Tele looked like that, I wish I could get it it back. It was really heavy and sounded great. 20 bucks isn't much, but I'll bet it makes you feel a little better. At least they made a gesture. Nice pair!

5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I think you'll like the pine tele better, unless there's something about ash plugged in vs. not. I built an ash (white ash) stratocaster this year with a bubinga neck, and it's just too heavy to feel like it's got any life. Sounds fine through an amp, but the weight is punishing.

I built it heavy on purpose just to see what it would be like (that sounds dumb, but I've already got lighter kit strats and have had "real" stratocasters and wanted to see what the guitar would be like without spending a mint). I was specifically looking to see if the stiffness would make it "speak" a little more while playing it, but it is instead heavy and a little quiet unplugged - I'm supposing the strings just don't have enough energy to make the body and neck do much. It's sure solid, though - like swing it at an intruder solid, and plug it in and play while you're waiting for the police and ambulance to take away any unlucky B&E perps.

6. ColdUpHere

ColdUpHere TDPRI Member

You may be correct, DW, it looks good, sounds great, acoustically and amplified, and it is light! The pickups are a TV Jones Super'Tron in the neck and a Power'Tron Plus in the bridge. The bodies were made by a Quebec luthier operating under the company name RV Guitars. You can find him on ebay as "joker298" - The locking tuners are Gotoh, and seem to be doing the job. The nut is a "compensated" bone nut from "axemasters" on ebay, I will say that at first glance the intonation is pretty damn good for a just-assembled guitar, so maybe the compensated nut actually has something going on.

Although, every player should have a good weighty guitar to encourage stage-crashers to exit the limelight a la SRV. So off to assemble the Ash!

Tone-wise this is going to be a serious battle.

20190110_160908.jpg 20190110_160931.jpg 20190110_160956.jpg 20190110_161007.jpg

7. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Keep it if you want, and odds are it's fine. But it is absolutely not "only cosmetic" as some claim, and it is in a location where there is pressure and force exerted. That doesn't mean it's going to grow bigger -- maybe it's done and dead stable now. But it's really unhelpful to read descriptions that are intended to be supportive (good) while disregarding (bad) the actuality of the situation. I repeat: no one would buy that neck if the crack were evident pre-purchase. Period. Were it mine and I had oiled it, I would spend 5 minutes being irritated by the situation and then put it out of mind entirely unless I observed it worsening later on. Odds are, it's done.

8. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That white ash body is downright psychedelic. Whoah!

9. ColdUpHere

ColdUpHere TDPRI Member

I hear you jr, not taking any of this lightly. If it sounds incredible once I assemble the Ash Caster, then the fixed neck shall stay on the guitar until it worsens, if I decide to sell it, I will be upfront with the buyer. I actually have a cheapo Maple on Maple neck that I would just give to a potential buyer for backup.

So far, the Pine Caster is just killin' it sonically!

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That neck uses a single one way compression rod. The forces are compressing behind and below the nut / truss rod plug and the other end of the neck. The compression takes place basically where the skunk stripe is and a bit more in both directions. The forces are not in front of the nut/ neck.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I like the pine and those pickups.JMHO

12. ColdUpHere

ColdUpHere TDPRI Member

And here's the Ash, the pickups are from a Gibson Melody Maker reissue: P90SR and ST, hum cancelling in the middle. Obviously the pickup poles will never perfectly line up with this Fender-style fixed bridge, but it sounds good. No weird drops on any strings. These pickups get Augustus Gloop fat under heavy distortion, crunchy under medium distortion, a Neil Young fanatic's dream pickup. Clean, they are twangy, obviously not as twangy as a classic Tele bridge pickup, but that's ok by me. The guitar sounds great, that neck is staying on there and if it splits, it splits. I'll just replace it with something else. The luthier missed the mark on centering the bridge pickup rout, I enlarged the rout, but will ultimately put a pickup ring around both of them to hide the mistake, probably. It is heavy in weight, but I have played heavier Les Paul's. When I put the locking tuners in I had to ream the holes a bit for the 9.1mm bushings. I lightly scratched the headstock when I did that, so I sanded it, re-coated with Tru-Oil, and I'll be damned if that crack isn't nearly invisible. I can understand now, how it slipped past inspection at All Parts and STRATOSPHERE... unless you know it's there, it's not there.

Anyways, if you have been sitting on the fence about doing your own partscaster, get off the fence and try it! Do some research, find a good deal on the pieces, and make one! I couldn't be happier with my results. These are my first full on assemblies, and I learned a lot.

20190111_183505.jpg 20190111_183547.jpg

Festus_Hagen and Blue Bill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.