OPINIONS: Filled crack near truss plug - DEALBREAKER?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ColdUpHere, Dec 28, 2018.

1. ColdUpHere

ColdUpHere TDPRI Member

Decided to build 2 Teles. Needed necks. Went fairly fancy and purchased a couple roasted, quartersawn All Parts necks. These necks are MIJ, and really nice...

BUT: after humming and hawing for a week, I decided to put ONE coat of Tru-Oil on the necks to keep out moisture.

I'm glad I did. After coating, one of the necks revealed a filled crack at the headstock, my guess is that it happened at the factory, and the luthier, or luthier's minion, filled the crack with the same paste used to hold the truss-rod plug in place. The paste, glue, whatever, was invisible until I put the Tru-Oil on, and then the difference between wood grain and goop became obvious.

With hand torque-ing and twisting, the filled crack does not open and no scary "cracking" sounds. The neck offers almost NO flex. :) The truss-rod works. The filled crack is (oddly) perpendicular to the grain...

Considering that the neck is roasted, and quartersawn, and seems stable, should I just pretend I never saw that crack? I mean, I'll always know it's there, but... opinions please? Have you ever been in this particular boat?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Send it back and get another neck that isn't cracked.

Arch Stanton, dented and 2blue2 like this.
  3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This is one of those questions that only you can answer. I don't think that crack would bother me a bit, but then again, it might be a chronic annoyance. I have no idea how you will feel about it for the long run. The shadows from the strings will tend to hide it.

Post some photos, so we can watch your progress.

Have you sent these pictures to AllParts? They may offer a replacement or a discount.

4. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

It probably wouldn’t bother me unless it was a custom order that I paid a lot of money for. I think that for all that roasting maple provides in stability, it can be difficult to mill. I have heard that areas near edge grain can pull out and chip or crack. I think that roasting may make delicate grain structures near the surface more brittle. The sap is less sticky when roasted so it kind of makes sense.

BTW, I have a one piece roasted maple neck and the builder didn’t want to ship it to me because of a very shallow pull out right below the highest fret on the fretboard at the edge of the fretboard and heel bottom. I told him to send it to me to see if I was OK with it. 30 seconds with a couple of grits of sandpaper and everything was smoothed out and undetectable. Looks like you could carefully use of a felt marker to make your issue disappear.

5. ColdUpHere

ColdUpHere TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies all, mulling it over... part of the problem is that here in Canada decent necks aren't common (unless you are a luthier) local builders tend to keep their good ones for their own builds, and shipping to and from the USA can get painful. If I go through the hassle and time to return it and got stuck with a neck with a warp or shoddy fret job, that would suck even worse.

If someone has a source for quality necks here in Canada, toss it my way.

6. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Can’t help with a Canadian neck builder, but I am sure that you did the right thing by putting a coat of TruOil on it. If nothing else it will to keep the surface from staining if you spill something on it.

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

These guys are here in Calgary. Maybe they can build you a neck. They sell on eBay and Reverb. I've never used them as I do all my own builds but I've heard their quality is good.
    http://www.hoodooguitars.com/

8. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Send pics to seller, say neck is otherwise excellent, but not worth what you paid as it's got a defect, ask how they want to make it right.

Blue Bill and Floyd Eye like this.
  9. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

A defect that's that hard to see and poses no functional problems can probably be found on a lot of nice necks.
    It's not jewelry, but if you paid jewelry prices then you may want a more flawless item.
    I like Allparts necks because they are a very fair price for a very good musical instrument part, and they don't charge extra for decoration or status.

I would almost swear we had this exact thread six months or so ago, member bought a roasted maple neck and discovered a tiny almost invisible crack at the truss plug.
    Am I imagining things?

Actually I think it was a Musikraft neck and the buyer was very upset because it was more of a jewelry purchase, where decorative options doubled the base price.

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just thinking out loud, but could installing the plug have done that?

Expansion/contraction?

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

That wouldn't be a issue to me.

I would tell the seller... BUT once you stained it with tru-oil the warranty is lost, mate.

I wouldn't accept as a seller a return if stained with tru-oil albeit I would offer a discount

If the necks stands well, use it

fenderchamp likes this.
  13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I bet that was a check in the wood before it turned into a neck. That's what wood does when it dries, and sometimes they aren't apparent until the end step of finishing.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'd darken the line with a felt marker.

15. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

FYI... such a crack is not necessarily the fault of the maker.... it may well have developed during shipping.... it is the results of the expansion/contraction differential between the plug and the surrounding wood..

But, yeah, I wold have returned it too...

rk

16. ColdUpHere

ColdUpHere TDPRI Member

Wow, I am surprised at all the "keep it" posts. I am mostly a lurker at this forum, but I have learned a lot here.

Ricky I am up in Edmonton, and have had a couple contacts with hoodoo, but they don't have much neck-stock on hand, and last time I queried them all they had was a 2-piece 22 fret neck (maple on maple) I like playing up close to the fretboard sometimes and that overhang bugs me. Plus they wanted almost $200 CAD for the neck plus shipping.

INFANT, Olivewood looks like they have got the prices where they should be for what they are offering, 2-piece 22-fret necks. When it comes to Strats and Teles, I like a single piece of Maple, 21 frets, but nice to know there are there.

I have contacted the seller and am waiting for a response. (Ronkirn, somebody filled that crack up with what looks like the same goop as the truss plug and finished it, I'm guessing yellow wood glue, so I don't think it happened during shipping)

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If it's glued already it will be stable. Find a furniture crayon to touch up the blemish.

If it's an 'open' crack, run a little 'thin' CA glue into the crack which will wick down it and completely stabilize it. I've seen thin CA wick down 2/3rds of a Tele body length before so you'll be ok.

You'll have more hassle, heartache, and stress trying to replace it than a little fix.

Ricky D. likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

That would be an issue for me at full price. Was a it a bargain buy? It could be a reflection of unstable wood, or may just be a coincidence. If it were mine I would float some "thin" or "very thin" ISO glue in the crack, it wicks right in fast.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

I think the internet and the use of guitars has changed things a bit in recent times.
    There is nothing actually wrong with that neck, yet there is an almost invisible flaw in the wood, a flaw that the OP did not even see until applying a finish.
    Even now with the finish and knowing it is there, if the guitar was completed it would likely never be seen in regular use.

Only when we use guitars as decorative objects do we obsess over tiny flaws in wood that we can barely see, and that have no effect on the function or stability of the guitar.

If one who found this tiny crack upsetting was to closely examine all the violins in an orchestra, they would probably need a drink.

20. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

If it's a working guitar, use water thin CA on it and then forget it. I doubt that it will cause trouble. There are very few perfect guitar necks in the world, if you look closely enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.