Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Opinions about Fender Prosonic Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jonkay1, Jun 11, 2008.

1. jonkay1

jonkay1 Tele-Meister

I just aquired a Fender Prosonic from G.C. yesterday. To my ears, it sounds marvelous, very much like a Fender Twin. Doing a little research on line, some people love this amp, others hate it. I'd like to hear some impressions from tele players. The reverb isn't working in this amp, and all the preamp tubes are 12ax7, save for one, which is a 12at7. Can I assume that this is the reverb tube? Anything else I need to consider about diagnosing the reverb problem? Thanks in advance.

2. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

I take it this isn't a very popular amp. I posted a question about this amp today no response yet. But your question was in June. I take it by the lack of responses about this amp its either not a big seller or it sucks.

3. Sire

Sire Tele-Meister

It doesn't suck. I have one. Love it. Great clean channel. Gain channel is the biggest complaint from the detractors, but you just got to know how to control it.

You can get the natural "tube sag" at a very low volume. That's a cool feature by way of the active controls. Set on the clean channel, turn the Treble, Mid and Bass all the way to Zero. Turn the volume to 10. No sound. Now the tubes are soaked. Slowly bring up the T,M,B knobs to taste. Works great.

For me, I plug in my 72 custom to this amp and the sound is great. Maybe it's the combonation. The Prosonic's complaint is that it's buzzy and wild on the gain channel (again, learn how to use it). The 72 custom re-issue's complaint is that the WRHB is Muddy. Put the two together and I love it. Lot's of possibilities with these two animals. Only pedals I have are a Dyna Comp, which I try to set to be not noticed, and a Phase 90 for the Wayon thing. Other than that, nothing needed for me. Clean Country to Hard Rock.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

I "test drove" a combo variant of this amp. With a Tele Custom, the "clean channel" was capable of being slightly overdriven for those "Get yer Ya-Ya's Out" tones I like so much. Pleasant suprise compared to my red knob Super 112, which does the "clean" thing quite well, but is seemingly incapable of being overdriven naturally-even with my ES-335!
    To my ears, it didn't quite do pure clean tones as well as my red knob Super 112-but it came close. If I remember correctly this amp has a "Bassman" and a "Vibrolux" channel, right? I really enjoyed the Vibrolux channel. For a new PCB amp with a warranty, this amp seems to be as good as any. If I were gigging, I'd probably opt for the head version.

Eggman

6. Big John

Big John RIP

eggman, you are thinking of the 'Super' sonic not the 'Pro'

I believe the Pro stopped production in 2002 or 3, was a Bruce Zinky design and for the time seen as a radical move for Fender with a real 'screaming' hi-gain channel and a dual rectifier.
    Must admit i have never tried one but those here who have them certainly love them, i'm surprised you have had no replies.

7. Sire

Sire Tele-Meister

Yep, Supersonic and Prosonic are not the same thing. If you like clean, just set the Rectifier to SS (60 watt). Lot's of headroom in there. The class A (30 watt) is where you get the natural sag. That's part of why it's a cool amp, selectable rectifier.

Again, The "dual cascading" gain controls take some time to dial in the sounds you like. Most folks just turn them up and complain that it's too wild. Take some time. You can get near any sound you're looking for.

8. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

Oops! Thanks for the correction, Big John. Sorry.

Eggman

9. ojaverde

ojaverde Tele-Holic

I modded the mid control on my HRDX so that the tone controls are inter -active now. If I turn the tone controls to zero there is no sound. But, I believe the HRDX has a solid state rectifier. Can I get any sag from a ss rectifier? If so will turning the volume up to ten and slowly dialing up the tone controls work on my modded HRDX as it does on the pro sonic?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  10. JeronimoKeith

JeronimoKeith TDPRI Member

Tube secret for Fender Prosonic

I have one of these which makes half of my complete stereo rig. It took awhile to get it just right, a few mods basically. The most important one is this: Get a Groove Tubes (or whatever brand you prefer) but it has to be a 5751 which has less gain. Place this in the #2/Reverb position.

I cant be sure of course, where your 12AT7 is located right now so you have to Google the Prosonic tube schema and look closely to make sure it's in the correct location. Once this is done, let it warm up for 10 and then see how the tone is dramatically better and full and "chimey". Much more "headroom" for it to sing.

JeronimoKeith
    JeronimoKeithBand

11. JeronimoKeith

JeronimoKeith TDPRI Member

Folow up: Tube secret for Fender Prosonic

The 5751 tube should cure your Reverb also unless there's something else going on i.e., bad Reverb Pan, cable etc. Check it.

Good luck
    JeronimoKeith

12. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Isnt the ProSonic the amp that Zinky really worked on a lot?

I have heard mixed opinions. Some love it, some hate it, and a few in between. I have a buddy that loaded it with some good tubes, traded a couple resistors out, and it really turned into a heavy metal monster.

13. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

subscribed.

I like the SS but I'm a newb, what do I know? I listened to a lot of demos, over many visits to the shops. One day i heard some NICE mellow stuff going on in the demo booth followed by some flat out metal. I smiled to myself thinking that 2 different buyers were competing with 2 amps in the one and only booth... and in the end I brought one.

14. Jazzacaster

Jazzacaster TDPRI Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but I always use these threads as a great resource on the rare gear I stumble across.

I've had a Seafoam Green Prosonic half-stack for a while and I'm looking to sell it to a friend, but I have no idea what it is worth. Anyone have any ideas of the going rate? Normally, I just throw things on eBay for $1 and let the market decide, but this is probably too heavy/expensive to ship so I'm opting for local sale. I know the black tolex covered ones go for a lot less. This is obvisouly one of the earlier custom shop models (Scotsdale, AZ) with the "lizard skin" and has the commemorative plate on the cab and 50th anniversary sticker on the head. I saw a completed listing for 1x12 combo that was about $1150 or $1200. What do you guys think the halfstack is worth? It's essentially mint.

15. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

They'll come a day when I walk into a store and walk out with a Prosonic for under $450
    and It Will Be Good.
    The only Amp I've ever heard that gives up "Dark Side Of The Moon" right outta the box.
    They're known to be "tempermental".
    But so are AC30-TB's - the real ones.
    I'll learn to deal with it.

16. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

I had one for a while...

GREAT clean channel, very good dirt channel, absolutely useless fx loop. I needed a functional loop at the time, so I flipped it.

Plus, it's heavy as all get out.

YMMV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.