Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Opinion on Peavey 6505 mini head

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TubeBlues, Feb 13, 2018.

1. TubeBlues

TubeBlues Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2012
    Quebec
    I just started playing punk rock in my mid 30s, yeah ;)

I've been looking for an affordable amp for living room practice.

They Peavey 6505 mini head seems to offer a lot, but is it any good?

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    It does offer alot, but I don't care for the way the knobs are integrated into the circuit. To many do hickies anyways.
    Punk? Four knobs , no buttons or push pulls, I say.
    A simple amp should do.
    Try an AC10 or something first.

3. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    An AC10 over a 6505 for punk? Someone needs to put the bong away for the night. :lol:

20 watts may not be enough for a hard hitting punk drummer.

4. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2012
    Chicago Suburbs
    My guess is that you're going to want loud and not to clean. Peavey Windsor head fits the bill nicely for cheap. They weren't liked very much because clean is almost non-existent. Very loud, very dirty. It'll take a bit of tweaking on the right cab to dial in the mids that you like. For me, it works best with neutral voiced speakers. I prefer mine through a 412 loaded with Eminence Lady Lucks. If you need loud cleans, you can run the preamp volume really low (as in anemic low), clean boost in the effects loop volume maxed, master volume to taste.

As for the 6505 mini head, I'm not sure that it will be loud enough for you. If you want a 6505, get a full size.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

I guess you don't know punks history. U want emo.

6. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Perhaps you can educate me on the long history of the numerous punk bands that have used an AC10?

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Yeah, it's pretty punk to have a drum set in the living room.

8. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    I know right? Who wants to use an little AC10 when you got an f'in drummer banging the bongos while seated on your wife's antique coffee table?

9. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Just for the living room?. I wouldn't bother with a 15~20 Watt valve amp in head/cab form. I'd go solid state.
    I suppose a lot of it depends on your living room, proximity to neighbours, are the neighbours going to enjoy your wailings, do you have anyone else living there.
    There are some really good solid state amps, ranging from the Yamaha THR10 range, through the Boss Katana, Blackstar ID:Core and TVP range, various Laney and Orange models too.
    At lower volumes, and up to some very high volumes, there's nothing wrong with solid state.
    What sort of sound/era are you aiming for as a starting point?, Jonesy?, East Bay Ray?, Strummer?

10. hxchip

hxchip TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Lilburn, GA
    Old school Line 6 Spider (especially the red and black first generation) have some killer tones for dirt cheap. I cut an old punk demo on one of those a decade or so ago. Favorites settings, optional footswitch for all presets, 1/4" headphone out... hard to beat for a small space.

Apparently the Spider Classic line is out now - I haven't heard it yet, but it could be similar to its roots based on the design.

Edit: Just to add, I have a Peavey ValveKing MH and I love it. The 6505 MH looks good, but I'm not sure it's what I'd really call affordable since the best tones (from both amps) comes after a little bit of tube swapping and matching it with the right cab/speaker. If $600+ is "affordable" to you, go for it; but I'd stick to a slightly cheaper combo for just living room practice. I'd definitely look for a headphone out feature though (I use mine a lot), so you're looking at digital amps, some Blackstars, some Peaveys, and a select few others.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Don't bother with the living room, get one of these:
    [​IMG]

Already has the name of the room on it.

12. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    I don't know about that. The drummer may have objections with setting up in the breakfast nook.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.