Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today studio ...on stage?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 4telecaster4, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

Sep 30, 2010
    New Orleans
    I love the ac15 tone everywhere.
  2. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    ANY '50s 5E3!
  3. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    ANY '50s 5E3!

My '57.....

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2008
    Oshawa, near Toronto
    from experience - Fender Super Reverb or
    Traynor YGM1 Guitarmate OR Traynor YBA1 OR YBA2 Bassmaster combos
  6. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

Jan 11, 2012
    For live gig with Telecaster
    1. AC30

For best Telecaster tone I'd say a EL84 based AC30 or clone like the Dr Z Stand Ray. Vox nails it! Influences are Will Ray and Jerry Donahue.

Also Blackface / Silverface Super Reverb, Peavey MACE (150W), Peavey Vintage 410 - has to be one of the 6L6GC amps with fat warm bottom, spunky and sparkly highs.

For studio with Telecaster
    • AC30... or boutique clone
    • Trainwreck Liverpool or Rocket clone (unless you have $30K + for original)

Of your gear the Bandmaster amp is best suited to bringing out Telecaster tone. The Stage 112 SE and Deluxe Reverb would be off the mark.

Brad Paisley tours with a huge rig and doesn't have "one signature sound." He has used a huge number of pedals, which he is always changing. You can tell he just like playing around with different equipment. He is more consistent with his guitars, where he favors Telecasters and occasionally uses an old Martin acoustic guitar.

To try and match his tone you'd have to hire a sound engineer, a roadie and have a large bank account:

Brad Paisley Amplifiers

- Vox 62 AC30 head (4 x EL84)
    - Dr. Z Z Wreck (4 x 7189)
    - Dr. Z Stang Ray (4 x EL84)
    - Dr. Z Carmen Ghia with a Vox blue speaker (2 x EL84)
    - Dr. Z 2 x 12 cabinets
    - Victoria 80212 Twin (4 x 6L6GC)
    - Bruno Underground 30 Head (4 x EL84)
    - Trainwreck Liverpool 30 "Hattie Mae" (4 x EL84)
    - Fender Vibro King (2 x 6L6GC)

Pedals he has been known to have used

- Aqua Puss analog delay
    - Axess BS2 Guitar Audio Buffer/Splitter
    - Boss DD-2 and DD-3
    - Boss TR-2 (Keeley)
    - Diamond compressor
    - Diamond Memory Lane 2
    - Dunlop Wahs - Slash wah, etc...
    - Ebtech Hum eliminator (rackmount)
    - Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
    - Empress Superdelay pedal
    - Furman AR-1215 AC Line Regulator
    - Framptone Amp Switcher
    - Hermida Zendrive Distortion
    - Keeley Compressor
    - Keeley modded Ibanez TS808
    - Line 6 Echo Pro
    - Line 6 Filter Pro
    - Line 6 Mod Pro
    - Shure Wireless
    - Maxon AD-999 Analog Delay
    - TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger Pedal
    - Voodoo Labs Pedal Power
    - Voodoo Labs Ground Control
    - Voodoo Lab GCX Audio Switchers
    - Visual Sound Route 808
    - Xotic effects AC and RC booster pedals
    - Wampler Pedals Underdog Overdrive
    - Wampler Pedals AnalogEcho
    - Wampler Pedals Ego Compressor
    - Wampler the Paisley Drive pedal
    - Keeley Nova Wah

Attached Files:

7. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

For the studio i would highly recommend a tweed princeton. My tweed princeton has the perfect tone for recording, and at the right volume. If you get a chance to try one you will know what i mean.

No pedals required.
  8. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Jun 27, 2009
    Colbert, WA
    Do not know if they are the best, but the good ones all work when you turn the power switch on. This is true whether you are on stage, in the studio, or at home!
  9. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    A couple of things here...Great Post with no right or wrongs with regards to amps and Teles thru the years.

As good as Brad Paisley is on the Guitar, I wouldn't use him as a Standard by any stretch for what he chooses to use on or off Stage. To date, I don't believe he has recorded anything that will make it into the Legendary category of hits years from now down the road :eek: I believe that Brad is most recognize for his playing above all else..more than his songwriting and studio work.

Looking back...there are many Fender amps that have made their mark in the Studio for such Classics by Eric Clapton..the Eagles..the Stones..Country artist such as Buck Owens..Haggard..etc......Going depends on the tune and what kind of sound the Artist or Producer has in mind..and No..size doesn't matter in this case :lol: Also..what you see onstage more often then not, is not what was orginally used in the studio for the actual Studio recording of the songs being played live...or guitar for that matter ;)

But If I had to take a stab in the dark for Thee most used/requested amp in the studio from the late 50 thru the 70s for Country and Pop Rock N' roll..I would say it is/was..the 57 Fender Deluxe amp :cool:

Check out this small very old looking Tweed behind Jeff Beck that he is playing thru using his Strat ( you can start to see it very well @ 1:05 into the video) ...notice all the big Marshalls around him by the backing band..but Jeff goes with what he believes is best for this tune with a Strat[/B][/COLOR] ;) One thing is for sure, regardless of the Marshalls..which was a Fender Bassman for the most part, and now the latest rave of 'Dr.Z' amps...the Majority of music history that is regarded today as 'Legendary' or 'Classic' ..was made/recorded with small 15 to 25watt Fender Amps..and even smaller in many cases ::eek:::cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  10. jebbo

jebbo Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2010
    myakka city florida
    My personal amps for the stage and studio are-
    Studio-Billm modded Fender Blues Junior, vintage Ray Massie "the vibe".
    Stage-Fender 66 blackface Super Reverb, homemade 50 watt 5e3 deluxe clone (or as I call it, Mr. Greene)

The amps I wish I had for stage and studio are-
    Studio-Fender blackface Deluxe Reverb, Fender 5e3 Deluxe
    Stage- I already own it-blackface super reverb

I wish I could ABY my super and Mr. Greene. The super has that great fender clean tone, and the Greene realy gets the cranked 5e3 deluxe sound. I have run them in stereo at my house before, but not at a gig. It sounds so cool having a distorted and a clean amp at the same time.
  11. 4telecaster4

4telecaster4 Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2011
    Great pictures and info here......also seems like a lot of big names are using marshall amp/cabs as props with a little 5e and mike... around the corner..ala Billy Gibbons
  12. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Why do guitarists do this (set up a wall of stacks but actually use a little combo that is hidden from sight)? I imagine it's because they think it looks cooler but it seems pretty dumb to me.
  13. teleamp

teleamp Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2006
    Central TX
    Payola $$$$$
  14. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 31, 2008
    Wise River, Montana
    That or they could be switching back and forth between the amps. Just look for the mics out front. No mic, proably no speakers in the cab, either.

Myself, I'd go with Marshall Super Lead, but that's just because its my favorite tone. I would imagine, though, that the right engineer and combination of effects and mic placement could make any amp sound huge in the studio.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.