Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Open spot in pedalboard

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Lobomov, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:31 AM.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    I have never been much of a pedal guy and mainly just been plugging straight in to a two channel amp with reverb.

But a year ago I bought my first pedal in ages .. and now I'm up to five pedal on a little board. The thing is that I'm a little wierd and am annoyed by the fact that there is room for one more pedal in order to fill it :D

So I'm looking for inspiration for that last pedal in order to close the deal. I play in a trio setting with guitar, bas and drums. We are in our 40s, so we span from Jazz to rock from the previous millenium.

Current board is:
    Vemuram Jay Ray for when clean sounds arent quite enough. I don't hold back on the gain.
    Wampler Velvet Fuzz for lead sound (usually just step on it while the Jay Ray is on)
    EXH Electric Mistress (Because Andy Summers .. and I like Flangers more than Chorus)
    Wampler Tape Echo (It's so simple, yet it sounds good!)
    Strymon Flint (Tremolo and reverb, whats not to like?)

So one more pedal. Note that I like that you know for sure, when I press a pedal, so big flavours and not just sutle changes.

I'm 99% percent sure that I don't want a compressor. While they have their uses, I'm just not into them.

And distortion .. I feel that the Jan Ray and Fuzz together cover what I need. Maybe I need one for some cruchy rhythm work, but somehow I'm just not feeling the need for more drive :)

I ask you to please inspire me!

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    The only thing I can think of is a boost...either a Keeley Katana or an MXR Micro Amp would be my suggestions...you seem to like the boutique stuff, so the former would possibly be a better fit for your tastes, but I don't notice a (sonic) difference between the Micro Amp and the Katana.

Lobomov likes this.

3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Where do you see that boost located. Front end or back? :)

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Venuram is the "Fender Magic 6 sound" ... I'd look for an Orange or Marshall flavored crunchy drive. The Xotic SL drive is a good one, and it's very cute. Nice kick of midrange.

If you need something to help your guitar "jump out" for a (clean) solo, a Klon clone is really good at that. Wampler Tumnus? Also extremely cute. lol

Also, have to bring up the unpleasant fact that you need a Wah pedal. :)

Lobomov likes this.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I'd play around and see what you like best...

I put my boost after my overdrive (various, but usually an Ibanez TS9RI Tube Screamer) and my fuzz (Dunlop JH2S Jimi Hendrix System Classic Fuzz), but your preferences and mileage may vary.

Lobomov likes this.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana

7. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Yes! Indeed it is unpleasant! ... I've used to take my cry baby with me to bed in the late 80's/early 90s, but we had a very messy breakup and are not on speaking terms anymore :confused:

I actually spent a lot of time A/B'ing the Jan Ray vs. the Tumnus when I bought it. The Tumnus can do that subtle sparkle at a low gain setting, but once you add gain I found the Jan Ray outshined it ... and I'm not much of a subtle guy

I have considered something like a Wampler Plexi or similar. Will give it more thought .. Thanks!! :)

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I can't live without an EQ pedal. One stomp during a song can change from one glorious rhythm sound to a great lead sound. Some come with a boost too.

Fiesta Red likes this.

9. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Just like in music all the space doesn't have to be filled.

Lobomov likes this.

10. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Yes ... we might well end there ... or if no good suggestions come I'll drop in a Miku or a Synth9 :)

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Lobomov and Obsessed like this.

12. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Keep the space there. You'll save money and having less petals is actually more sometimes.

Simplify! Chances are you spent a lot on your map and fiddle, why change it up with so many boxes?

Lobomov likes this.

13. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Or just store your cigarettes or capo there!

Lobomov likes this.

14. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I agree about not adding a pedal just to fill a space. If you want something fun to play around with, loopers and octaves are fun. A good octave pedal like the EHX Nano Pog could give you a dozen new sounds.

Lobomov likes this.

15. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    If you must have a pedal there, maybe a rotary speaker emulator?

OR....
    ...attach an Altoids tin in the open space and keep your picks and stuff in it. :cool:

MDent77 and Lobomov like this.

16. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Actually the need comes from downsizing my amp to a simple small one channel amp.I could do with just a single dirtbox or just crank it and ride the volume pot, but hey .. you make your own fun :)

Actually not a stupid idea with a small box for stuff .. Do the rotary stuff like the mini-vent sound good in mono?

17. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    If you believe the youtube demo's, the ALL sound great in any mode! ;)

Actually, I think they do sound pretty good in mono - at least the ones I like do.
    And that would be the only way I'd ever use one.
    I've been looking at them for a while, myself. Very likely, it will be my next pedal purchase.

And I actually did screw an Altoids tin onto my pedalboard for picks - one of the smaller ones. Works great! :D

18. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    EHX Lester-G or Strymon Lex Rotary pedal with a separate mini expression pedal (to control speed of rotary).

19. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Do you gig? If so, you might find it useful to put a small clock there.

Lobomov likes this.

20. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    I'd have to have a tuner. Love the Boss TU-3.

waparker4 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.