Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Open Mic Recording (video) - round 2

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by still_fiddlin, Jun 1, 2017.

1. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Here's one from last week - actually had 2 cameras kind of in focus so trying iMovie's somewhat limited abilities.

Again, the audio here is a mix of the direct stuff I do and camera audio, with a little more reverb added to the direct track. I found that while it sounds Ok when just listening to the audio, it's a little tricky getting the audio's perceived distance from the listener to match the video. It's not so noticeable if you're viewing from a TV (e.g.) with equally distant speakers, but watching the video on a computer while listening with headphones can be a little disconcerting if there's a noticeable (psychoacoustic?) gap because the people look 15 feet away but sound like they're right in front of you!

P.S. It's not me in the video!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    wrk2321 and xafinity like this.

2. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Man, you're developing this into a fine art, especially considering what you've got to work with! Goes to show, it ain't the gear, but what you do with it.

still_fiddlin likes this.

3. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    Good stuff.

might I suggest running two cameras so you can get
    some tighter shots and then that distance issue won't be
    as bad as you perceive it to be.

Syncing up multiple cameras these days is pretty easy.

Plus you can still use the two audio setups you
    already have dialed in. No need to bother with the second camera audio.
    Not needed.

4. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    cool tune !

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    nice

that's a neat song, and a pretty unique way with the word lines

6. still_fiddlin

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    There are 2 cameras in this, but nothing really close. I was going to clamp my iPhone onto the mic stand for some closeups, but forgot to take my phone that night!

I just line up the audio track wave forms visually in iMovie. It's close enough though a little tedious. One of these days I might look at Final Cut or something at least with the ability to make small rotation adjustments. (That's not in the Mac version of iMovie for some reason.)

7. still_fiddlin

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    I'll pass your comments along to Ed. He's actually asked me to do some more stuff to put together some demo audio and video to help him find gigs! Said there might be a free meal in it for me and the wife, so I can show her that this hobby is finally going to start paying off big :lol:

8. still_fiddlin

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks. Well, as I think most folks poking around at this know, it really starts and ends with having a good performance/performer. Sows ears, polishing stuff, etc.

Especially in this kind of environment, better equipment just means more of everything getting captured, and that's not always helpful! (I've tried adding an SDC a couple times. There's actually one here but I can't really get close enough to the guitar/performer to prevent it from picking up a lot of room noise off that hard back wall, and the host's use of that Fender Acoustisonic pointed at the performer means a fair amount of that bleeds in. Still thinking about how to get something acoustic to mix in...

9. studio

May 27, 2013
    California
    If you have the board mix capabilities already, how about
    recording a separate channel for each instrument and asking the
    production guy to work with you on maybe adjusting that Fender
    Amp stack.

I ,know it seems like more work, more gear, more headache.....
    well, that's because it is! But the added benefits post productionwise
    will give your vids a more pro look and feel.

I spent a good part of my career as a pro camera op in Los Angeles
    paying off the mortgage. I know it seems like a lot of gear and
    nonsense, but that's why they call it work.

Your videos are awesome. If you're trying to get to the next step,
    it may be more of a leap than a step IMO. Thanks.

10. studio

May 27, 2013
    California
    .....and, we are not even discussing the composition of your
    shot, the lighting, etc.

If you ever want to PM me, I'd be willing to run down
    a list of suggestions for you to contemplate. Otherwise,
    right here on the forum is good too. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017

11. still_fiddlin

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    To address your previous (not quoted) post first, I do not have board mix capabilities/access. They are ancient Peavey powered mixers, one used for the house, and then the other just drives the floor monitors. There's some control over that send but I don't get involved. The guy running this has been doing it for 6 years, and he is pretty used to things the way they are.

I actually do have separate channels for each instrument/voice. I record taking a DI of the guitar's output before it goes to the board, and using a splitter on the mic, also before it goes to the board. This gives me a very clean signal, and I record on a Zoom H6, up to 6 channels/tracks if needed.

In this particular video, being a single performer, I keep the guitar and vocal panned pretty close to center, though.

As I mentioned, for the video, but to clarify, I have a clean, kind of mixed/pseudo-mastered version of a performer's set, and I take the single song out of that, add that to the video. Based on my own opinion, because this video is in a live, relatively noisy setting, that track alone does not "work" when viewing the video, so I don't completely zero out the camera's own audio. It leaves a bit of noise in there, but that's completely intentional. If the video was of a performance in a studio, or very close in, I'd use the clean tracks.

Just as a frame of reference, composition here is determined by where the little 8" square shelf on the back wall is located so I can put my camera there :). There's no activity behind the lens here - I push the red button and go start the audio recording! The side angle camera is sitting on the table where I have my Zoom sitting, and which is really the best place for me to sit, since it is an active restaurant and most customers (and other musicians) tend to occupy the central tables, from the back wall moving toward the stage. Now, I could get up and move around a little, but it's just an open mic, and I'm trying to be unobtrusive as much as possible.

But, with all that, the reason I post here is for suggestions, so anything that will improve this for me or anybody else trying something like this is more than welcome.

12. studio

May 27, 2013
    California
    Okay then, are you familiar with the rule of thirds?

Because a stagnant shot is passable, but as a passionate hobbyist
    you would want your one shot to include some professional familiarity.
    Just a suggestion.

In this video, except for the "two shots", you'll notice
    that every other shot is rule of thirds and further notice how
    perfect the head room shot is when Allison is framed.

13. still_fiddlin

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Well, the answer is "obviously not!" But, I take your point. This is the second time I've done this, and admittedly approached more as a (dispassionate) "people want to see video so I guess I'll do some video" hobbyist. Clearly have some catch-up/learning to do.

14. studio

May 27, 2013
    California
    I'm not trying to beat you up or anything.
    Just want to point you in a good direction
    on some tried and true concepts that work
    for everyone behind the camera. That's all.

Your idea is a great one btw!
    You saw a need and filled the gap.

15. bobspez

bobspez Tele-Meister

@still_fiddlin
    Great playing and singing but I agree with your assessment of the audio. You have two audio tracks. Have you tried panning them? and/or adding echo to one or both of the tracks to give it a feel of room echo? If you have a stereo track you can split it into two mono tracks to pan each side as you wish. I always use panning to separate all of my tracks. I also always separate my instrument track from my vocal track. I generally am playing electric, but if I play acoustic I use a separate audio and guitar mic, to be able to eq each track and place it in the mix. I use a zoom R16 8 track to record, then sync the Zoom audio tracks to the camera audio in the video editor. I usually mute the camera audio in the mix, but have used it a lower volume, with echo and panned off to one side to add depth to the mix. My vocal is usually within 8 points of center, the drums somewhere far out left or right on the other side of the vocal and instruments closer at a mid distance between the drums and vocal. I try to space all the tracks out on both sides of center. I use Adobe Audition (used to be free audio editor called cooledit) to edit the audio. Audition works with Adobe Premiere video editor, so all the audio and video tracks are on the time line, but the audio track can be edited within the video editor, using Audition.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.