Open F (FACFCF) tuning tabs/chord chart?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by RoscoeElegante, Jun 12, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Hi, all.

So for an upcoming gig, there's a song I can sing only in F. Plays well in G-shaped chords, tuned down a step, but just tonight I thought, "Gee, dummy, what about open F?"

Quite the nice tuning, that--but the tabs/chord chart for it doesn't seem to exist amid all the sites laying out open tunings' lil' tricks.

I'm happy blundering around and working out the song this way (it's just a country-style 12-bar kind of thing, and I've got a week). But does anyone know of a chord chart for this tuning?

Thanks!

2. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

One alternative would be to just tune to open D, for which there are alota chord charts available, and capo on the 3rd fret = F.

ftbtx and RoscoeElegante like this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Lay yer big fat index finger across all the strings at the second fret and that's a G. At the fourth fret there's an A!

Sorry that's all I got.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  4. RoscoeElegante

Thanks for suggesting that. May go that remedy. Weird that almost nothing exists for this tuning, as it is a good and simple one....

5. Random1643

Or, stay in standard tuning, throw a capo on the first fret and play in "E," OR capo on third fret and play in "D," and so on up the fret board.

Hatfield92 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  6. RoscoeElegante

Yeah, will try all that, too. Thanks. After a good stubborn search tomorrow for chord chart in the open tuning, though. I'll go down swinging backed into a corner, and all that. You get such ringing overtones, or whatever they are, and so many sly pieces of obscure chords, in those opening tunings that they're hard to give up once arrived at. Since it is just a 12-bar blues kind of thing, I'll probably end up blundering it out. Only needs a few riffs and runs here and there, anyway.... Thanks for the suggestions, Random.

7. Random1643

Yah, the whole musical universe is there in open D IMHO. Just messing over the weekend with an open D (with capo on the 5th fret) arrangement of Danny O'Keefe's The Road, originally in G in standard tuning, and I like it better. Like you say with those overtones and pieces of chords.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Haven't used open F before, but my curiosity got the best of me, started poking around with it and since I have an excel worksheet blank for chord charts, I just made one. Can only produce a .pdf version, which I hope you will find helpful. In nashville style numbering, I've laid out your 1 chord, a 2 minor, 3 minor, 4, 5 (and 5seventh) and a 7.

Of course, you can slide the grips the requisite number of frets for other chords and so forth. You can also use chord fragments as a hammer-on against a full barre, as you might in open G, for example.

I managed to pick out a stumble version of Creole Belle, so I think it seems to work ok.

cheers!

- plus I think @Random1643 had a pretty good idea as well...

Attached Files:

RoscoeElegante, Random1643 and ftbtx like this.
  9. RoscoeElegante

Wow! Thanks, teletimetx! Very kind of you, and very appreciated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.