Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Oooops... Another 5e3 (first build ever)

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by The Guy, May 6, 2017.

1. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    So, after many months of planing, ordering goods, waiting, etc... I got to start my very first amp build! And it's been an awesome experience. I started today, this is how it looks so far:

image.jpg

220k resistors are missing because I forgot to buy'em...

Please let me know if you see any mistakes.

(I used robrob's layout obviously)

...i am happy :)

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    chemobrain, gwjensen and BobbyZ like this.

2. Outlaws

Outlaws TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Phoenix
    Front looks fine, just like mine. The back?

3. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Bluetiful!

I know you've been doing your homework for a while....

You're going to need a chassis, transformers and a few other things as well when you get those 220's;)

The Guy likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    Thanks!! Also using a celestion Blue! Im' gonna call it the "Kind Of Blue" :)

I already have a pair of heyboer transformers for this amp. The pt has the output voltages adjusted to 330V. Got all the stuff except for those resistors and some darned washers, so i am pretty much set ;)

Fun stuff.

Last edited: May 7, 2017

6. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    Yeah! I've been keeping an eye on your thread! I wish us both luck ;)

Here's the back

image.jpg

Outlaws likes this.

7. Outlaws

Outlaws TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Phoenix
    What did you use for your ground bus? That thing looks stout.

8. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    That's a 1,8mm (1/14") copper rod I made myself from a wire I found on the street ;) ... wanted it to look thick just for the looks really.

Since it is bare copper I will treat it with micro-crystaline wax to avoid oxidizing.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Outlaws likes this.

9. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    My only suggestion: as of my last few builds, I've tried to use a universal wiring scheme adapted from this: http://draftingmanuals.tpub.com/14040/css/Block-Numbering-System-91.htm

If only to try and keep my sanity. I only have so many colors, so sometimes it isn't possible. But at least the leads going from the board to the tubes, I try to adhere to a color scheme. Make's it easier to track the circuit. In the pic below, for the leads going to the front panel, I juse used white for channel 1 and brown for channel 2. Some of grid wires are black because they are coax, so I didn't have a choice to make them green.

[​IMG]

ecoast likes this.

10. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    Holy cow!! That looks like a spider web! Gotta put some colors in there indeed!

11. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    Ok, impedance switch selector and NFB switch installed (had to drill the chassis). I want this amp to be used with an external cab no problem.

...lookin' good! :)

image.jpg

chemobrain and robrob like this.

12. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    @robrob Question:

Why not just connect the OT red wire to pin 8 in V1 like in the original layout instead of in the first filter cap as shown in your layout using a standby switch?

I'm also thinking in connecting the yellow/red center tap to the left side of the chassis, the power cord ground to the upper or lower left PT bolt and the pre amp section ground to the upper right PT bolt. What do you think about that?

thanks!
    Cheers.

5e3_Deluxe_Amp_Layout.png

deluxe_5e3_layout.jpg

13. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Standby switch.

14. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    Enameled engraving for the impedance switch and NFB selector switch... done!
    (This took a while to get it done, ended up not THAT clean but not that bad either ;) )

image.jpg

Ready to start putting this thing together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2017

15. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    I just finished installing the heater wires... Can someone please take a look and see if everything is OK? I'll appreciate it.

Thank you.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

nsmith01tx likes this.

16. arcticbreaze

arcticbreaze TDPRI Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    best as i can tell from pics (cant see notch in octals) your looking good.

Have fun

The Guy likes this.

17. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    That's a very nice heater wiring job.

infiniteposse and The Guy like this.

18. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    That's great! Thank you! ...it was a PITA working with that 18ga wire tho, hard stuff. It seems that it wasn't annealed properly.

Cheers ;)

19. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Looks like you really know what your doing. I've thought about a 5e3 kit, but I don't anything... Never even built a pedal...

20. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    Awesome!

I've been studying for a couple of months now, but i feel that i'm starting to REALLY learn now that i'm actually making the amp... I would suggest to anyone with the itch for making an amplifier to study the basics, i.e what is electricity, safety measures, how the different components work (caps, resistances, trannies, etc), then how the basic circuits work (power stage w/rectification, preamp stage, etc..) and then get your hands dirty and learn along the way.

"Basic Electricity" and "Basic Electronics" by Van Valkenburgh are awesome books for the noob (and advanced as well) ...and i mean REALLY awesome books, 100% recommended. If you want to learn get both books from ebay, they complement each other, gotta have both.

Cheers! ;)

Edit: Oh yeah!! And good 'ole RobRob's website is a must. 120% recommended. That guy did a really good job right there, i feel that I owe him big time.

But yea... Start with the books then robrob's site ;)

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    nsmith01tx likes this.

21. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Great advice! Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.