Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

OOOOhhhh neck finish. Will brush or wipe poly shine?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Ravie, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    What is the original gloss finish that came on my 72 Tele Deluxe Reissue? I liked it. I'm guessing probably Poly that was sprayed on.

I think even if I do get some neck amber and go the route of staining the neck I'm going to do a wipe-on Poly. I just can't get it out of my head that Tru-Oil might not be as stable. I'm probably being overly cautious but...yeah...

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    I got a finished maple-board Allparts neck that had nitro on the frets. Scraped it off with a thumb nail, it chipped off pretty easy.

3. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2010
    Ohio
    I was most concerned with the color when I finished my neck.
    The finish on your neck can be very thin. You can always add more.
    I know zero about poly wipe on, but if you do try a wipe on, go thin, thin, thin.
    That is why the tru oil finish is so popular.
    The vintage nitro necks that have a worn finish had very little product on them.
    It doesn't take much lacquer-poly-oil to protect your neck.
    Have fun and I hope you get great results. I love my neck and it has like four sprays of canned lacquer.

4. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    Another option:

http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/varnish.html

Requires patience. In my experience, it takes a month to fully harden. Applied in very thin layers with multiple coats required to develop a high luster. Not for the faint of heart, but a very nice finish if you have the time. A pint will last a lifetime of small jobs. Easy to repair.

Spray lacquer really doesn't have any downsides apart from toxicity. Easy to repair.

The biggest drawback of Tru-Oil is that it isn't the best moisture barrier. A sealer coat of shellac will fix that. Easy to repair.

5. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    Is that stuff not basically the same as Tru-Oil? (which is linseed and I think tung oil based)

The moisture barrier thing is what bothers me. I'm in Kansas where it can go from super humid to super dry and from hot to cold and back again in just a days time. I hate to think what that might do to the moisture content of the maple.

At this point I'm pretty well set on doing some neck amber and then trying my hand at a Minwax wipe-on poly. Easy to spray a gloss coat of poly on the headstock, keeps a nice light feel on the back of the neck, still shines a bit, etc... plus it keeps it in warranty, whether that's important at this point or not..

I e-mailed a bit with a local luthier who gave me a good price if I should decide to have him do a fret level/crown/dress, so that's good.

6. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    Nevermind, looks like the colortone dye just gets added into the poly before application.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

7. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nope. Higher resin content. Smells a lot better, too. ;)

A shellac sealer coat really will fix any moisture problems, and it will also improve color uniformity if you're concerned about splotching.

Whatever you decide, have fun and don't worry!

8. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    That is an interesting product. I'd be inclined to try it but the closest store is an hour away and rockler is sold out...

can you shellac over tru-oil? Also, who makes shellac? Good ones I could find at Ace? If so, I might just use the Tru-Oil I already have and hit it with some shellac! I dunno. Seems like a lot of goop...lol

9. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    Hmm.. I still think this mixed with this is gonna be a good deal. I can go a little light on the dye so I can do 2-3 light coats and build color.

10. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Zinsser stuff at your local Home Depot is fine. Just check the date on the can to make sure it isn't more than a year old. It can be brushed on and sanded back with 320 grit, or you can dilute it 50:50 with ethanol and wipe it on with a rag. Use quick passes and let the solvent flash off or else the rag/brush will stick.

The clear version is what is normally used for sealer coats. There is also an amber version that can be used as a finish, but it's not as durable as lacquer in the short term.

The nice thing about shellac is it adheres to just about everything and vice-versa. It is recommended under either lacquer or varnish.

11. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    I just happened to remember...When I originally bought the Tru-Oil lo those many moons ago, I did my due research and bought their clear Sealer & Filler product which goes under the Tru-Oil to seal out moisture. :)

I sanded a piece of pine smooth up to 320 and I'm gonna spend a couple of days working on it to see if I can get the technique down. It's not Maple but it's good practice.

Maybe there's hope for Tru-Oil after-all.

12. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2013
    Michigan
    tru oil satisfies warmoth. Its an oil/varnish blend and dries hard. If they wanted to get snarky, I can get you an msds that you can send to them....

http://www.warmoth.com/ordering/Warranty.aspx
    "We do not consider oil finishes or poorly applied wipe-on finishes adequate protection."

At the outside, put a coat of shellac on... Id argue that one in court :D

13. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    How's the snow up there? I bet the snowmobilers (like myself back when I lived in Northern MN) are jumping for joy this year.

I'm going to do a coat or two of the Birchwood-Casey Clear Sealer and grain filler and then pile on the Tru-Oil (well, okay, in thin well-applied coats anyway). I already have it, I haven't been able to find anyone with a bad thing to say about it. For some reason it's going to take until next Monday for my Neck that was shipped on Monday to get here...but I'll get after it post haste.

I did clean up a 2x4 hunk I had laying around and did the sealer&filler on it and applied a first coat of Tru-Oil last night. Just for giggles I'm gonna keep going for a few coats and see how it turns out.

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I'll definitely get some pictures up when I get going. It's getting Hipshot locking tuners which I've already got (VERY nice by the way...) and I am going to leave the headstock without a label of any kind. It's going on my stock 3 color burst 72 Tele Deluxe RI. My favorite of all the guitars I have ever owned, exceot for the pickuos which will eventually be replaced with either mojotones or creamery pickups... My hand is going to be very happy with the Clapton V. My hand has never fit a modern C shape very well. I always felt like the area that gets taken out in a V neck was in the way, so I'm excited for that.

14. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    Those tuners really are fantastic. I put them on everything now. Hipshot has really good customer support, too.

15. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I've used tru-oil for gun stocks and once I refinished a bass body (cheap P-bass copy) with it, but haven't tried it on a neck. Now that you mention it, that sounds like a good idea. I'll try it.

16. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    I've not used them before now...always did vintage style Klusons which look great but are pretty sucky on the stability scale. I wanted something that locked and looked good and I really find these Hipshot tuners to be really good looking. I like that even though they're thumb-tightened style lockers that they're not super bulky and heavy like stock Fender or Sperzels are. These Hipshots were a good price and had nothing but great reviews, so I had to go for it!

The neck is coming with a white Corian nut. I'm not sure I've ever had that before unless that's what came stock on a Fender(I'm guessing Fenders come with plastic nuts). I've got an LSR nut I've had on various guitars for 10-12 years now and it's the best nut I've had. If it turns out the Corian is good stuff I'll leave it, otherwise it'll get an LSR nut.

Toying with ideas for pickups, too. That's for a different forum/thread though. haha The RI "Wide-Range" Humbuckers are fakes. They're standard sized humbuckers with bar magnets epoxied into wide-range housings to look like the originals (which had individual threaded/charged posts rather than bar magnets). The Creamery, I think Lollar, and Mojo all make ones like the originals but they're upwards of 350+ dollars for a set due to the high price of the rod they use for the charged threaded posts. I almost think I should just put a Les Paul PAF in the neck and some sort of Hot/contrasting pickup in the bridge and use trim rings.

Oops...didn't mean to go that deep on that point! haha!

17. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    One coat sealer, Five coats tru oil, light rub with gray scotch brite between coats cause its what I had...

Not bad!

ForumRunner_20131231_191941.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

18. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    Looks good. If you're using a rag to get a thin coat with firm pressure, then the coats should be smooth enough without leveling between coats. Unless you like sanding....

You can always burnish with a dry cloth at various stages, too.

19. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    Yes, I am. Thanks for the tip.

I'm on I think the 8th coat right now and it looks pretty great. I'm definitely more confident about doing this on the neck now.

20. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    So it's the best guitar you have ever owned except for the neck, the tuners, and the pickups? Let's see, that leaves the body, the knobs, and the strap buttons :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.