Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

OOOOhhhh neck finish. Will brush or wipe poly shine?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Ravie, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    Hey ya'll

I've got a maple neck coming from Warmoth unfinished. After doing EXTENSIVE reading on TDPRI and other places via google search, I'm looking at doing minwax poly. Specifically this product. Was also thinking possibly this one which I could find a nice tint color for...

Is this the kind of thing I could brush or wipe on with enough coats to get a nice gloss/clearcoat type of shine? I suppose I could live with it if not but..

I confirmed with Warmoth that a poly-based product, even a wipe-on DOES satisfy their warranty so I'm looking at that as an option. I don't have the money to just go out and buy a gun and spray lacquer or whatever. I could do that; I have the ability (and a borrowed compressor...) but it IS winter here in Kansas and I don't want to heat the garage for days. I'd rather do something I can do in my back room. I'm not that picky, I just want it protected under warranty and to look good.

So, thoughts on those two items?

Also, as a sidebar: I have read in several places on the interwebz that Tru-Oil supposedly satisfies Warmoth's warranty. This is NOT true. I have confirmed with the company that Tru-Oil (Yes, specifically the Birchwood-Casey product) does NOT satisfy their warranty. I fully realize there are guys out there who love it and get AWESOME results, and that's great. Some guys, warranty isn't important. For me personally, it is.

Again, just tossing that out there for future surfers.

Rav

2. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    Minwax buffs out reasonably well but won't have that dipped-in-glass look. There are some higher-gloss varnishes available from Waterlox. I prefer ragging on vs brushing for thinner coats with fewer bubbles.

3. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    I suppose I could do Polyshades in a nice color and then hit the headstock with some clear-coat. That could look good... Maybe "Honey Pine" which looks nice... or I could do something off-the-wall like classic black or bombay mahogany...just because I'm weird... The Tele it's going on is 3 color burst so any of those colors could potentially look kinda cool..

4. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    Polyshades products contain pigments and will emphasize the grain and figure. If you want that look, fine, but I'd suggest practicing on scrap and not trusting the color guide. Honey Pine is fairly dark in my experience. Higher resin content gives higher gloss. Higher-gloss products typically cost more because of the higher solids content. You can add dyes to varnish for a true tint.

5. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    So maybe this wood finish in a shade like ipswich pine covered with the wipe-on poly... That way I can control the depth of the stain and then cover over it...

I'm just not real sure I want to get heavy into buying dye oils and mixing my own colors. It's just one neck, that seems excessive. I just want something with a little bit of "pop" before I final-finish it. Ya know?

6. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    Polyshades or gel stains will do that. Oil-based varnish will add a nice warmth over top.

7. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    Yeah, the more I read around about how hard it is to get maple to take much stain the more I think the polyshades stuff might just do the trick.

8. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

9. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2013
    Michigan
    If you want "easy" without a tacky look, try out tru oil. Ive never seen wipe on poly look good on anything guitar related.

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Oil stains on maple have been troublesome for me. Uneven absorption, blotchy. If it was mine, I'd not do that.

Wipe on poly has worked well for me, just keep the coats thin.

11. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    I have tru oil and had considered it, but it doesn't satisfy Warmoth's warranty. That wouldn't be a problem except I gig with this guitar a lot and I live in the Midwest so it gets hit and cold and dry and humid...I just don't personally think it would be a stable enough finish. Plus I just don't have the kind of money where if it does warp that bad that I could just go buy another one...

I have read that maple doesn't take stain very well, that's why I'm going the route of poly shades. It has color pigment in it, so it colors without being a "stain" per se. Plus it has poly in it so it clears it while coloring it. If I want more finish on top of the wood I can always spray poly over that.

12. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    You will need to topcoat the Polyshades with a more durable varnish, whether from Minwax or some other brand.

General terminology:

Stain = pigment.

Dye = tint.

Test maple scrap to assess the splotching.

13. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Polyshades is tinted Polyurethane. No extra finish needed. If you want to thin it so it flows like Wipe-On, use mineral spirits. And quit worrying about the warranty. :lol:

14. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't agree. The man says he wants a high-gloss finish. Polyshades is soft and does not buff well in my experience. In addition, it is pigmented (not just tinted). It has to be stirred prior to application.

15. fezz parka

It works fine, especially for what he wants to do. He said "nice shine". Will it look like glass? No. Will it buff to a "nice shine" as opposed to looking like a satin finish? Yes.

It it was me, I'd get some tinted lacquer in a spray bomb from Reranch or Stew-Mac.

16. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    Right, and it is still technically a "hard finish" by their standards. Certainly harder than tru oil.

The only thing I want to shine is the face of the headstock. I can accomplish that with some poly spray once I'm done, I reckon.

I think poly shades and some spray bomb on the face of the headstock is gonna be the ticket.

Oh, and hi Fezz. Long time no see! Sometimes I rewatch old YouTube Che Fezz vids for a fix. Lmao. Still gotta stop by someday I on my way up to mn. Not sure when the next trip will be.

17. fezz parka

Anytime kiddo! And seriously, look into the spraybomb tinted lacquer from either Stew_Mac or Reranch.

18. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    Yeah, that's good stuff but kinda what I wanted to stay away from. I do better with a spray gun which I don't own and being winter I don't wanna heat the garage so I can spray and cure. That's why I liked the idea of a wipe-on poly like the polyshades stuff. That way I can do it in my back room and just shut the door to keep the fumes outta the house.

19. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    Just found this thread from a while back and that pretty much deletes this as a possibility. That's a LOT of bad reviews...

looks like neck amber and clear coat from ReRanch. :-/

20. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

While we're at it, I can't recommend Poly-shades. Too much streaking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.