Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

One rattling saddle

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ppg677, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2018
    WI
    I've got one string that seems to buzz/rattle something in the bridge area. I don't think it is fret buzz, as raising the action sky high on that string doesn't help. (And putting my ear close makes me believe it is in the saddle area).

I tried Loctite on the height adjustment screws. I haven't yet tried Loctite on the intonation screws.

Any advice before I unscrew the intonation screws and see if Loctite helps there?

It's a Wilkonsin 3-saddle bridge

2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Frequently it means that one of the two adjustment screws in each segment is loose.
    Usually the one to the outside of the bridge--for example, the "E" screw on the "B-E" segment.

Jim622 likes this.
  3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Let me guess... the G string?

4. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2018
    WI
    Yes!

5. Red Bread

Red Bread TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Vermont
    I had a similar issue with a 94 top loading bridge
    I’d be playing and on a stiffer down pick I’d get a buzz from my G saddle
    I’d did everything couldn’t get the saddle to not buzz
    Then I figured out one of my bridge screws that hold the bridge to the body had come loose a few turns
    Tighten it back up no more buzz

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    It could be a saddle spring buzzing. I've experienced that with both vintage and modern bridges.

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    It’s always the G string. Try doing a really good setup including intonations, then give the G side of that saddle a gentle tap or two with a rubber mallet or a fret hammer. Sometimes the saddle needs to settle in a bit so it’s not buzzing against the base of the bridge.

8. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    If it is not any of the already mentioned problems:

The brass of the saddle can wear. If you lift the string off the saddle and look at the shape of the string path with a magnifying glass you can diagnose this. The part that is shiny from the string helps you see what is going on. The string should go up over a ramp, then jump off quickly towards the nut. If the ramp part gets worn to level, or gets worn longer than the width of a fret, it can buzz or make sitar sounds. A little work with a triangular file can make it all good again.

The hard steel strings can't help but wear down the brass saddles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.