Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

One More Little Spruce Nylon Acoustic Guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by printer2, Apr 16, 2018.

1. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I was going to drop this in with the other ones I made but realized that those builds were just thrown in with other threads. While this will not be as detailed in construction documentation as that can be found in my previous threads I wanted to show where I have been going. Yes I still have other guitars being built, I do not build one at a time into completion but tend to work on a couple at a time. I think this is because I get an idea and would rather start it than wait to get around to it again, something I do not trust myself to doing.

The top got a little toasty in the oven. I always passed it by as the one side looked darker than the other and it was very noticeable at the join. I considered it for this project as this was to be hopefully the last iteration of the small pine guitars. On each one I learned something and wanted to try out my different ideas. The last one was the reverse fan braced top, an arm bevel and a thicker back. I am redoing the reverse fan to give something for the last one to compare to. This one will also get a more pronounced bevel. I am going to do a floating fretboard but hopefully it will be a little more refined than the last one. I think I have got the hang of bending softwood, one day I might try a Venetian.

I thought of doing it on this one (everything and the kitchen sink) but I thought I have enough going on with this one, something left for the next one. This all started because I saw a neck blank I made up last year but decided to not use it. It has a Mahogany replacement for a neck. Very light and soft wood, I shelved it. I was going to use it for this one because it was turning out to be a guitar made from throwaway materials. But the sum seems to becoming more than the parts. The back with wings added to the lower bout, cut the center of the top out and rejoined it and it looks better. The sides bent in no time. I might go for a spruce neck again, pulled out a half 2x4 from the garage. I am about 50-50 on which neck. I am going to try and talk myself into a Walnut fretboard and bridge. A nylon string again. Usually we have washed out kiln dried walnut here, found a couple of pieces that were darker than usual. I was looking for some to use as fretboards but I think they might be better served as sides. So that is not nailed down. But what ever is with what I build.

[​IMG]

Oak rosette trimmed with black fiber on baked spruce top.

[​IMG]

And my aching bones have me sidelined today. The reason I am posting rather than building.

2. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Time for my arm bevel. Shaped a piece of spruce and glued it in. Glued the kerfed linings and side supports in also.

[​IMG]

Hogged out most of the spruce.

[​IMG]

Might even work with the fan bracing. Now I just have to figure out how to bend the top without breaking it.

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.

3. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Oh, reverse fan bracing!:rolleyes:
    Reminds me of that of Jose Yacopi.:twisted:

4. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I heard about it from from a video of Pepe Romero who owns a Miguel Rodriguez that has it. And now Taylor sort of discovered it. Interesting to know it came decades before, thanks, I wouldn't have known that.

5. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Oh, didn't know that MR had tried the reverse fan bracing. Yeah I can imagine that since he was not a Torres/ Hauser purist. However, I don't think that Pepe's famous MR ("Church Door") was built in the style.

6. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I looked up the Church Door guitars and I don't think they are the same one. This is the one with the reverse fan.

I thought the top would be ready to glue on but it seems the bend in the top needs a little more persuading. Here is it with a few handy helpers, only so far you want to go before you hear a crack.

[​IMG]

I was not having a great day so I thought I would go out buy a new piece of wood (my version of a new pair of shoes). I found something I never saw before, some imported stairway runners. There was one that looked interesting but one of the laminations was bent out of shape. They had no price on them, found it was on sale for about $22, I asked how much for the pretzel one.

[​IMG]

They said $5 so naturally I went away happy. I originally thought of using it for some rosettes but it might make a fretboard or two. I managed to pull the linearly challenged piece of by hand.

FrontPU likes this.

7. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Thank you for the valuable information!!:rolleyes::cool:
    I like and respect the Torres/Hauser style and it's one of the very ultimate building pattern, which my hero Bream exclusively loves.
    However, am fed up with seeing players and collectors laugh from their nonsense prejudice at those un-Torres guitars.
    And I have been always interested in the reverse fan brace that Yacopi and his followers (and wow even M. Rodrigues!) have done.
    Because the bridge is physically like an entrance of the power to create sound and the sound hole is an exit, so the reverse taper is more reasonable in this perspective.
    I have had chances to try some Yacopi guitars many years ago, but didn't know about its unique system then.
    Please let me know what difference you do find between your guitars built in conventional style and the new one when you complete it! :):)

8. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Gluing the top to the rim. The top is below the rim and the clamps and wedges are mating the top to the arm bevel. The top is flat other than the bevel.

[​IMG]

The bevel part of the top must have still been damp. Added a little fresh glue and clamped and left for a day. Because of the curve of the bevel the clamps wanted to slip off the top. I slip pieces of sandpaper between the top and the clamp to give it some more friction.

[​IMG]

I was a little short on the back's upper bout so I cut a piece from the lower bout and glued it on. You can see the variation in shading of the top with the cutoffs used for the back center seam strip.

[​IMG]

The one side is darker than the other. When you sit too close to the fire you get a little toastier. Second wipe of clear poly. I normally like satin finish but I want to see how well the gloss turns out. The rosette is kind of pretty. And I was going to toss the end cuts, found another use for them.

[​IMG]

Crafty Fox, 2blue2 and FrontPU like this.

9. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    There was some interest in the arm bevel on another site and I was asked to take a few more pictures. Twist my arm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I posted this picture in the amp building section, I finally put all my guitar building projects together. I won't be starting any new ones for a while.

[​IMG]

11. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Wow look at that corner of the garage with 2 dozen guitars in it and half as many amp things.
    Neat!

FrontPU likes this.

12. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Basement. I have no more room in the garage, it is full of woodworking tools. I think there is four amps I made, three cabs made, four cabinet sides assembled, four finger jointed but not assembled. A few tube amplifiers taken out of radios, organs, a 68 Bassman in there. Some guitars that need to be repaired at the left. A lot to keep my mind occupied and hands busy. I am getting the place in order, it looked like a bomb hit the place before. The amp building thing was enough to keep me busy and then on top of it I threw the guitar making and acquired stuff and projects faster than I could find space for them. I am getting a handle on it, finding a place to put stuff was a problem.

This is my wood room and also doubles as a weight room along with an exercise bike. I use the bike, the weights I want to get back into when my wrist heals. The rack on the left has guitar tops on the top row and back and sides on the bottom. The top rack is now full and the right side full of b&s's.

[​IMG]

A dresser full of enough tubes to last my lifetime, tubes in the cigar boxes, switching power supplies to use for amps and speakers for the amps. I have a bench more but these are the actual guitar speakers.

[​IMG]

I plan to build a acoustic guitar testing area in the space between this picture and the one with all the projects and this last picture. Measuring the wood characteristics and try to determine how to make changes to the sound. Once I am officially retired I should have lot of things to occupy my time with.

13. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I have been busy with real life, decided to jump back into my alternate universe. Routed a slot for an aluminum bar, inserted a hardwood dowel to anchor the anchor bolts.

[​IMG]

Wanted to see how viable an extension is to do from one piece. Still have to narrow the tenon part and cut a mortise into the body. I did one previously but being the first time it was more a hack job. Just a trip to the bandsaw, The narrowing of the tenon part was done with a razor saw and cleaned up with a chisel. Didn't take a picture of it, I'll get one when I put in the bolts.

[​IMG]

Cut out then shaped on my drum sander.

[​IMG]

Fretboard, I almost forgot the fretboard.

[​IMG]

I found this tool on sale, it has some really sharp barbs on it, my thumb will heal. Takes off material quite aggressively.

[​IMG]

This is a quick cleanup with the left file, a bastard file will get it to it's almost finished state. I could have used just the bastard file but wanted to see what the other would do.

[​IMG]

Night, night time.

[​IMG]

14. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    It fought me but I got a nice looking joint and no bolts in yet to pull it tight.

[​IMG]

PhredE and Crafty Fox like this.

15. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Erm.....that's cool work man.

Not to mention that basement full of bodies and things, and your wood pile, and all the other stuff you got around. :eek:

PhredE likes this.

16. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    The bodies are in the shed, I don't have room in the house for them. Oh, the guitar bodies. Half of them have necks or at least neck blanks made up. I expect to get the necks made this summer, I am going to see if I can get that handy dandy router neck carver jig to do acoustic necks. Save me some time if I could. Then I just have to do the neck and heel area. I spent too much time getting the neck joint right. I have another couple ideas that might speed things up but trying to get it dialed in might take some time. I was going to try it on this one but that would delay when it would be finished and I decided to just get it done.

Yeah I have too much stuff. I am going to have to make a rack for the finished guitars.

Just checked out the Herringbone Tele thread. I thought about doing a spruce top on one, not the herring bone though. I had to go down and see what I had, it has been a few years. Sort of a reverse, a spruce body with a walnut cap on the back. Also found a maple cap for a carved top and another pine blank. I can't wait till I retire, I'll have more time to do useful stuff.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018

17. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    That guitar is outstanding printer2. Just beautiful.

When all finished, let us (well, me..) know how she sounds -- please?

NotAnotherHobby likes this.

18. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'

Oh yes! I really want to hear how this guitar sounds.

19. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    It will be interesting, I thinned the back a little more than I wanted to, not a big deal I can always laminate a little more on the inside if needed. It will be strung up with Silk and Steel, I built it to go with nylon or S&S. Because of the bracing the bridge will be pinless, the only difference between the two would be the angle of the saddle. Sound wise I don't expect too much, I have others built for more performance. I expect it to be pleasant enough to listen to. The idea is to have a nice lightweight comfortable guitar that I can pick up when I am not feeling my best. I am using ukulele tuners for reduced weight to keep the headstock balanced.

I am already thinking, I wouldn't mind making the next one out of cedar. I have some boards that I could resaw, but that will not be in any hurry as I have too many other guitars to finish. What I would like to do is make an electric built with spruce or cedar using the same construction as an acoustic but keep the thinline dimensions. Do I hear another project calling me? A thin skin over an interior of thin ribs for strength, similar to an airplane wing. I like it. I really will have to keep the neck light. I do have some honeycomb nomex, maybe with a veneer skin. I'll have to think of the truss rod. Or just an aluminum spine running the whole length, fretboard to the back of the neck. Oh why do I think of these things?

20. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I'd go straight cedar acoustic, no thinline. I'd DEFINATELY would love to hear the results of that one.

I - allegedly - played a Takamine Jasmine guitar some time back that was - again, allegedly - all cedar. Maybe a Japanese variety, I don't know. But the thing sounded absolutely B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. I would love to make one some day, but I don't have enough time for the several electrics I've started. So...I'd love to live that fantasy vicariously through you. :)

I've listened to a few cedar top / back guitars on youtube. Problem was, the recording on them didn't sound quite right - not properly mic-ed. From what I could pick up, they seemed really nice, but still hard to tell.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.