Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

One and 3/4 nuts I am going.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Quacky, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Quacky

Quacky TDPRI Member

Hi Y'all,
    I finally got my Warmoth neck a couple days back and being an old cheap basterd I bought it unfinished and instead of paying 30 bucks for them to cut a nut I shelled out 4 fifty for a blank one now my question is this I read a couple of old posts on cutting a 1 and 3/4 and I'm confused :eek: the best answer seemed to be to measure 1/4 inch on the ends and measuring the distance from the center of the 2 vee's take that number and divide it by 5 but it makes more sense to me that you would divide it by 4. Can someone please explains it for meh.

Much thanks and btw this is the bestest forum in the Universe. :cool:

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    I understand the "CHEAP" thing, but if you ever expect to do another nut, I highly recommend that you really should bite the bullet and buy one of these:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/string-spacing-ruler-steel

If you can qualify for an account with their "sister company" CE Distribution, the price is only $12.95. Ya see, a well cut nut does not have the strings exactly evenly spaced, but progressively and ever so slightly closer together as they go from the bass side to the treble! And 1/4 inch on the ends is a bit much. Most folks put the outer edges of the high E and low E slots an 1/8 inch to 5/32 inch from the edge of the finger board.

Oh, and enjoy your Warmoth neck, they make nice ones. Did you go the extra $20 for stainless frets?

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less!
    Gene

rze99 likes this.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    A nut needs to be built to the neck...bound or unbound, if bound are there nibs or not....and to the player's preferences.....unless the player has no preferences and lets the pro make the decisions.
    IMHO, there is no need to buy a 1 3/4" neck and not have a nut that utilizes all of that width. When I build a nut, I place the two outside strings with proper space to the end of the fret. Ime and imho, too many modern nut slots are set too far in from the edge of the board. Once the outside strings are set, then the measurements for the remaining strings can take place. The total distance from center to center of those outside strings is divided by 5 since there are to be five spaces between those six strings, right.

4. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    You can save yourself a bunch of heartache & math induced headache by ordering a pre-slotted bone nut for your particular neck width. Then you just remove material from the flat bottom of the nut until it's in the ballpark and fine tune the slots and shaping with the appropriate files until it's perfect, then polish.

If you don't have the tools (nut files, shaping file, string spacing rule, feeler gauges, small vise, sandpaper/polishing papers, etc.) then just take the pre-slotted nut blank to your local tech who can install it on the cheap since most of the hard work is done.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...tup_and_Repair/Making_a_Nut_Step-by-Step.html

5. Quacky

Quacky TDPRI Member

Thx for the info I will be making more telecasters but my next one will be a bass so I will end up buying a spacing ruler and no I didn't get the stainless steel frets as this neck was a showcase model maple with a Pau Ferro fretboard. I just finished spraying it 2 days ago. :)

6. Quacky

Quacky TDPRI Member

Thx for the information I meant 1/8 " and not 1/4" from the edges but since the object is to make fingerpicking cowboy chords a little more like an acoustic the string spacing is important to me. I get the five spaces now duh.

7. Quacky

Quacky TDPRI Member

Thx for the link I bookmarked it for later and I will definitely look into the pre-slotted bone nut for future builds.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    IMHO and ime, bringing the outside strings in 1/8" from the end of the fret is a waste of neck width.

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    You won't have a single magic reference number for how far inside the edge the first and sixth strings are going to sit. One way to position the first and last nut slots is to sight the strings and see where they land. The important "measurement" is the distance from the string to the last useable surface of the fret crown at the edge. If the frets are finished with an aggressive bevel you lose playable neck width.

Then with the first and last strings in place you can lay out the other four slots (I prefer the proportional spacing ruler but you can do it with a caliper and too much math).

10. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Mark the spacing based on an acoustic guitar nut. I carry a pencil, paper and camera whenever I visit a guitar shop. If you've got an acoustic with that nut width, it gets even easier.

11. Telegraphonic

Telegraphonic TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Memphis
    Do you have to have a special bridge if you wanted to have this spacing?

12. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Many acoustics are 1-11/16ths. Some that say they are 1-3/4 really aren't quite that wide. Besides, why copy the dimensions of a guitar you happened upon rather than lay out the nut slots on the actual guitar that you're working on?

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

When looking for a wider nut on an acoustic guitar, keep an eye out for "fingerstyle" models: https://www.larrivee.com/products/lsv-11-finger-style
    This Larrivee has a 1-13/16 nut and a 25 1/2" scale. Sweet!

brookdalebill likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.