Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

On the New $99 Epiphone Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by theprofessor, Jul 15, 2017.

1. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    You have my permission to to poop in all of your guitars. Don't restrict yourself to just the cheap guitars. Let 'er rip in a American Vintage Tele and Les Paul Reissue also. Be sure to post pics of your "Natural Finish" PoopCaster and PoopBurst Les Paul when they're done.

2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    If Epiphone would use their normal humbuckers on this model it'll sound like poop by default.

emisilly likes this.

3. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Pine Bush, NY
    That one looks like an affordable take of the duel pickup Melody Maker. Not bad, but yes everyone should have one of those P 90 Specials. I'm on my third one...haha.

TequilaCaster likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yecchhh. Fender colors should remain on Fenders

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Where is the $99 tag line coming from then?

mnutz likes this.

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    That's what I was wondering. MSRP of $199 and street price of 120 there, though they aren't always the cheapest.

8. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Epi PoopBuckers always get a bad rap. They are the perfect pickup when routing out single coils to create a PoopBurst.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Is this the so-called poop mod?

10. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Only if you like to get knee deep in the mods.

11. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Yep, looks like a Melody Maker.

12. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I see that your posts have all gone to the brown side. Might wanna get that looked at soon. Apparently....it's contageous.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

13. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    In very early literature the MM was actually called "The Les Paul Melody Maker" AFAIK none were ever sold with the LP name on them. So in theory they could have gone with that; in fact I wish they had, 'cause thats what it is, and I like the MM headstock. I also find it interesting than no where does it mention that its bolt neck, it obviously is on closer inspection and if it was set they would probably have flashing letters letting you know. They should have just stepped up and set the neck put decent tuners on it called it a "Limited edition" (of 100K) and done a " special intro price" of $99. I'm sure there would still be $5-6 dollars profit in there.. might have bought one if it was a bit nicer, but you can buy a lot of used guitar for $100.

14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I also like that SW suggests a HSC that costs $99, I would want a brown alligator chippy to be authentic.

15. The $99 came from last week's summer NAMM, where Epiphone announced and displayed this new model. The ad copy that I saw early on claimed Grover Rotomatic tuners and AlNiCo 3 pickups, but I beleive that was just a 'head fake' by Epi to generate buzz. After NAMM was over, the story changed quickly! Back to reality. I still want a couple.

16. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    I'd like it more if the volume knob were BEHIND the bridge a tad. (We don't all need to do volume swells.)

17. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    Epiphone Les Paul SL:
    [​IMG]

Gibson Melody Maker Reissue (MickeyB, Gibson-Talk.com:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally a 1960 (two pickup, four knob) Melody Maker:
    [​IMG]

To me it seems like the LP SL is using the LP Special necks on the Poplar slab body. I really like the LP Special I P90, it's a fun thrash around guitar, that plays and sounds good. I've got a set of TonePro tuners and a TUSQ XL nut to go on it.

I'm thinking the pups are one coil from the 650R/700T ceramic humbuckers that come in the LP Specials. Depending on how hot they are wound and whether or not the magnet is a solid bar magnet like a humbucker magnet, playing with them could be interesting. Maybe get the stock pups rewound. If not one of those ideas, I've got a couple sets of Strat pups could go in it, depending on the fitment.

$99 would be worth it to play, $120 is starting to push the cheap tinker toy budget for me. I'd probably do so any ways.

tomas83 and FenderGyrl like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.