Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Old vs New Stratotones

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PumpJockey, Aug 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    The original H44s etc. have become very pricey indeed, thanks to people like Junior Watson and others.

What's the word on the new ones made by Eastwood? I guess I'm primarily interested in how close they came on the pickup design. I have an H53 from 1967 but that has the gold foil pickup not the Hershey Bar.

??

2. Big Steve

Big Steve Tele-Holic

Apr 24, 2006
    Totally different guitars. The pickups are way different, the wood is different, the neck set versus neck through, etc.

I had a friend who bought one of the new ones and reshaped the neck and changed the pickups to Hershey Bars. It sounds pretty good, but not like the vintage ones.

A better approach might be to buy one of the other similar guitars from the 1950's I had a Kay one that was very cool. Kay, Harmony, Rex, Silvertone and Magnatone names could appear on the headstock. Be patient and keep looking and you will find one.

PumpJockey likes this.

3. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

4. PumpJockey

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    As I suspected.

My H53, beat up but in fine playing shape (w/replacement tuners) cost just north of $400. I got an old Silvertone that's basically an H54 that I am rewiring, for under $400 (someone did a sparkle paint job on it). Yet there's a Stratotone on Reverb for over $1,500. Say what?? I'll pass.

5. Big Steve

Big Steve Tele-Holic

Apr 24, 2006

6. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    IMG_1697.jpg I know the originals had 50k pots as well (the 1957 h44 did anyways) so I'm not sure how that effected the stratotone 'sound' but I'm sure it did. I had a hard time trying to find source them in this restore I did for a friend of mine.

Zepfan likes this.

7. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    From my understanding that plays a big part in their sound.

That being said, the new ones are plenty cool.

Grux likes this.

8. PumpJockey

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Very cool. 50K pots would have a noticeable effect.

Grux likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.