Old Valco reverb unit

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tomm Williams, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

51F111FC-03B7-45C4-B8B5-037B505ECD46.jpeg D7D3A9E5-4678-4FC0-8236-3C11318CFCB2.jpeg Ok, not exactly an amp but it has tubes and I know the folks who visit this sub forum will appreciate it.
    It is a ‘64 Valco reverb that was sold under the Airline name (Montgomery Wards?)
    I picked it up as a companion to my ‘56 Gretsch (Valco) Executive which has tremolo but no reverb. It works but needs servicing pretty badly and is headed to Fargen Amps perhaps this weekend to be dropped off.
    Still has the original cardboard box tank which I’ll have switched out as well as a butchered up 2-prong cord.
    I love tube driven outboard reverb units !!

High Head Brad likes this.
  2. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would stay with the original tank in the cardboard box, my old Airline amp sounds great with one. (As I recall there is a Gibbs/Hammond sticker in the box on mine).
    Airline 7.JPG

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

4. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Wow thanks Wally, that thread went into great detail concerning servicing these units. I’m going to forward it to Ben Fargen in case he’d like to take a look at it.

Wally likes this.
  5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If it it works do not change the tank! All you’ll do is reduce the value. Just have a 3-prong cord installed, electrolytic caps replaced, sockets cleaned and pots cleaned/lubed (plus replace tubes and any seriously off-spec parts).

But always keep vintage gear as original as possible. Those are rare finds, and replacing the working tank would be a mistake IMO.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.