Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Old squire

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jdolecek48, Nov 10, 2018.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    I found an old squire that's 15 years old are those old squares any good they are selling it for $75 is it worth it?

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Canada
    $75 isn't a ton of money, do you think it's worth it? What's the least you'd pay for a guitar?

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    IF it has a good neck and the bridge is in the correct place, it is worth it. IF the neck doesn't have a good line or the bridge is in the wrong place....and some early Chinese, Indonesian and India Squires had serious problem like a misplaced bridge.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Ask if they will take $65 for it and if yes go get it.

If this is your first guitar, find a local guitar tech to do a full setup for you $50 and maybe even spring for a fret level which will only be $50 more than the setup -- but it will make the guitar play like a $1,000+ one.

If you want to make a project of it and do 'upgrades', leave the pickups in it and the tuners on it (both the most expensive to mess with) and focus on replaceing the pots, switch, and output jack (Bourns, CRL, Switchcraft), aluminum flashing tape shield the interior, replace the two wires to the jack with a shielded cable. Probably $30 worth of materials and parts but it will have the same electronics as the $3,000 guitars. Get a wood block and block the trem like Eric Clapton and you won't have tuning instability.

5. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    Thanks....I would have to drive 2 hours so.....the search for a guitar continues

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The pawn shops around here are full of modern Squires for that kind of money.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Canada
    I don't know if I would drive 2 hours for a $75 Squire. Would have to be special.

Wally likes this.
  8. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    If you can be a little patient, wait until Black Friday and just get a brand new one from one of the big box stores like guitarcenter or Sweetwater. Sign up for email alerts and stupid deal of the day at musicians friend.
    IME all those import guitars usually go on sale for $100-$120.
    I think you’re better off going new on a squier. Manufacturing has gotten better, more efficient.
    Also any used guitar, especially cheapos will have been monkeyed with by an amateur, that’s how I learned how to work on my guitars.
    Someone could have poorly adjusted the truss rod, intonation or a sloppy fret level trying to follow a YouTube video after too many beers...

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Agree with all the comments, but I would add....where was it made? How do you know it's 15 years old? If possibly older, it could be a Korean made....or even Made in Japan. Either would be a GREAT find for $75. Just wonderin'......

Wally likes this.
  10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    15 years ago: January 2004 Squier Price List
    • Affinity Tele 282.99 (top load, maple neck, 21 frets) (Chinese)
    • Standard Telecaster 332.99 (SS, rosewood neck, 22 frets)
    • Black & Chrome Telecaster 332.99 (SS, rosewood neck, 22 frets)
    • Standard Fat Telecaster 382.99 (SH, rosewood neck, 22 frets)
    • Tele Special 332.99 (HS, rosewood neck, 22 frets)
    • Tele Custom 332.99 (HH, maple neck, 7.25")
    • Tele Custom II 382.99 (dual P90, maple neck, 7.25")
    So teles go were sold for (official prices) 282.99 to 382.99 USD... (most expensive tele 35% more expensive than the cheapest), but look at the differences in specs!

Just a few years before that there was the Double Fat tele (Korean) for 548.99 (double the price of the Affinity). Nowadays the price of the most expensive Squier telecaster is three times the price of the cheapest.

Which one is worth 75 USD? ALL of them, unless they have a broken truss rod, or some other deadly guitar disease.

It's just sad that people consider Squier guitars just ONE product. My (Indonesian) Custom II (later renamed Vintage Modified Custom II) guitars (yep, I got more than one) are among the best I've ever played, and are way above the Affinity for instance, but still people consider all Squiers of equal quality and equal value.

The Classic Vibe series that was introduced in 2008 even made the quality and specs difference between the most and least expensive Squier even bigger, as did the reintroduction of the upgraded Vintage Modified series in 2012.

So, what's the value of a Squier? Well, the value of my Ferrari will be very different if it is a rare model or colour and in mint state. If it is a more common model that had a severe crash and was on fire for an hour or two, the value will be a lot less.
    Similarly, there is no such thing as the value of a Squier guitar, just the value of a specific Squier model, depending on the level of wear and care it got over the years, the year, the colour, and so on.

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    More info would help..Model ?? Condition ??
    Some are worth more and some are not worth taking home..I've seen a few for much less..
    I wouldn't drive that far for any guitar without more info..

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    If it's a Squier Standard I would get it. That's a good price. They have excellent necks and fine pickups - I've never found a bad one. If it's higher end - all the better. If lower, you decide, but find out for sure exactly what it is you are driving two hours for before you drive.

Good luck
    Rex

13. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I have a slick MIKorea Squier Strat that I would put up against much pricier guitars. It plays like a dream. I paid 65.00 for it and I wouldn't sell it for 300. Find one your hands like and see if your wallet agrees.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    All squire teles and strats in my local pawn shops are over priced and many dogged out needing repairs. In most cases you would be better off buying new from MF, GC or others with free shipping. The best deals in pawn shops I've found is those axes they think are hopeless and marked down and you know the issues can be easily remedied---but you have to have a little guitar knowledge to be able to discern when to grab it and when to pass!

Here is a nice little 1998 Affinity Squire Strat I picked up for $40 including tax. Full size body and small headstock. The pots were loose, switch lever was bent, strings missing and had a pretty good bow in the neck.

I was easy to correct everything pretty easy with the exception of the neck that ended up installing extra washers under the neck truss rod nut but after much adjusting finally straightened out. A real nice player now. Platefire Full GIF.gif

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018 at 9:01 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.