Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Old Redwood Flooring for Tele build???

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jethro, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I just picked up this coffee table from a local artisan. The wood is actually Redwood flooring from an old factory from the late 1800's that was getting torn down. I asked if he had any spare boards that I could possibly purchase for a bottle of wine....I ended up getting two good sized boards that were approx 2.5" thick, 12" wide and 4' long.

I'm just curious if anyone here has done builds with Redwood and if there were any tips?

As you can see from the photo, the wood is pretty knotty and gnarly

Any insight is appreciated

Redwood Coffee Table.jpg

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    That is a VERY nice table! Looks like some Western Red I have. I think it would make a loverly Tele :D
    Mine came from the ATT pole line across the Bonneville Salt Flats. It paralleled the Southern Pacific Rail for much of the way. We recycled the poles in 1970 after they had been in service for a 100 years. No idea how old a tree is thats big enough for a telephone pole. All thats left is 4 1'x8'x13/4" sticks.

troy2003 likes this.
  3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    My only advice is to start soon! I love redwood on a Tele!

4. William SantAna

William SantAna Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2017
    Brazil
    a tele and a strat! why not?

5. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    ?
    Man that table is a beauty! I’m sure a guitar could be done and it will be awesome.

6. creading

creading Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    California
    Be sure to wear a good respirator when sanding redwood.....the dust is toxic and can cause real problems

Cheers,
    Charles

RodeoTex likes this.
  7. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Toronto, Canada

Wow, really....I did not know that

Thank you for sharing that

Cheers

8. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Jethro likes this.
  9. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Les Paul lover and Jethro like this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I couldn't agree more. Redwood sawdust doesn't come off the sanding disk like normal sawdust. Imagine it as little fluffy grappling hooks that float around until they are breathed in and stick in the repository system like Velcro barbs. Guess how i know

Jethro likes this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I wish I'd known that when I made mine. Redwood makes a great guitar body, though. It's pretty, too, so I hope you're not going to paint over the woodgrain.

Philo done.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  12. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Those are real nice....definitely a lover of wood grain so definitely no painting here

That tortoise shell guard with rosewood board is really close to what I was thinking for my build....looks awesome

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Lake Placid Blue and P Thought like this.
  13. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Toronto, Canada

Yes, back 2011 Fender also released this Telebration Old Growth Redwood series. I bought one of the 500 made which is pretty much what led me to wanting to do a build myself. I actually started a forum about it here:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/old-growth-redwood-club.281798/

savofenno and Flakey like this.
  14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Actually the one in back is a mahogany body. They came out looking pretty similar in the picture. That pickguard came from Warmoth, the neck too.

Jethro likes this.
  15. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    That’s a beautiful Esquire. I love Esquires and I love natural wood grain on guitars. You’re a lucky man.

P Thought likes this.
  16. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

May 16, 2011
    Berlin, Germany
    Oooh, that's some nice redwood, what a great project! Please keep us posted with lots of pics while you proceed.

17. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    146A43F0-D031-4953-9388-854A9BB2461B.jpeg E328E903-B3FA-410F-B9BC-8677FB8B9700.jpeg

The old growth meets the factory floor

Sofaplayer and Mat UK like this.
  18. Sarde

Sarde Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2016
    San Pedro, CA
    I've always wanted to make a redwood tele. So I say, go for it and post the build thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.