Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Old Question I Know... Suhr or Fender for T Style Guitar?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by joshphase90wah, Jul 20, 2017.

1. joshphase90wah

joshphase90wah TDPRI Member

Sep 17, 2014
    London
    So I know there are a few different threads going around the guitar web of this debate but, just wanted your thoughts on my predicament.

I've got a Fender MIJ Tele, which I really enjoyed playing, but it has it's problems. It has been refretted (A fine job by the way) as the original frets were far too low and thin, the neck pocket and neck don't quite line up, and the original bridge was a bit naff. The bridge has subsequently been replaced with a Hipshot bridge, which is a vast improvement. However it never felt 'right'. It still doesn't, but I have tried a lot of Telecasters that I do like.

I am now in the process of selling the guitar (issues are fully disclosed), and after saving the pennies from teaching and gigging I have enough in the guitar fund for a new, well pre loved Telecaster.

I have narrowed it down to a Fender American Deluxe, or if I wait and save a little, a Suhr Classic T. Only looking at the used market, and I have no preference on specs and things, just a nice 'T Style' guitar.

So Fender or Suhr?

2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Nash with amazing Lollar pups or Kirn must be considered IMO.

3. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2016
    Austone, Tejas
    A Royal T for the neck fer sure but maybe a Bare Knuckle Piledriver or Cobra T for the bridge ...

SamIV and jackal like this.

4. joshphase90wah

joshphase90wah TDPRI Member

Sep 17, 2014
    London
    Open to anything at a similar kinda price.

5. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    The "Royal T" is awesome!

texastengu likes this.

6. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2016
    Austone, Tejas
    Hey Jack do you know my old homie Walter Feller?

7. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Since I see your location is London, drop by Crimson Guitars and see what Ben Crowe has for a T-type in your price range.
    Otherwise I'd lean toward the Fender as an easy off-the-shelf-a-dozen-to-choose-from option.

texastengu likes this.

8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Last I heard Nash was assembling partscasters and relicing them.
    He is known more for his tech work and relicing.
    Kirn builds guitars from scratch, huge difference.
    Suhr makes great guitars, but very pricey from what I've seen.

Ron Kirn is a member here and has sold guitars to many members as well.
    His reputation is spotless, Nash is reputed to be very slow. Many threads on people waiting long periods of time and not having emails answered.
    If you have the mind set that you don't want to buy a logo, Kirn is probably you're best shot.

dustoff likes this.

9. Danelbaum

Danelbaum TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Boston
    I tried a few Nash T's and Suhr Classic Antiques back to back before deciding on the Nash. The Suhr was fantastic and felt super precise, almost too perfect (sounds weird I know). The Nash, a lightly relic'd T-52, just felt played in and "right" to me. Sanded down neck, super light and resonant ash body, and stellar Lollar p'ups. It spoke to me, and at about $900 less, it was a no brainer. You can't go wrong with any of these boutique builds, but I found the Nash to be an incredible bang for your buck, despite just being a "partscaster."

10. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    Can't say that I do.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Opinions are like . . . well, you know.

I've picked up several Nash's at a local shop. Always left me flat. Same with Suhr. I've come to think it's a numbers game. Fender produces so many guitars, you're far more likely to find one that "speaks" to you.

People think boutique/small = better. I'm not so sure that follows. For awhile you could say they were more "configurable" (flatter radius, bigger frets, compound radius, "modernization"). But Fender seems to have caught on a bit and has a lot of lines with a lot of different feature sets to hit different preferences. Like the Elite line.

Personally I think the American Vintage line is as good as it gets for any "F" style guitar. Those come with vintage frets and radius, generally, so they may not be for you.

Anyway, bringing it back around, I think you should buy the one you get your hands on that speaks to you. Or if you can't do that, be sure to buy with a great return policy (and be willing to eat shipping both ways if you do). Which kind of drives me back around to Fender. I can try out lots of those in stores or from online retailers with good return policies. Harder to do that with the boutiques.

Ira7 likes this.

12. horax

horax Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    Lots of options in that price range.
    I'd consider a Bob Logan, as well.

I think you would do well with whatever you choose. I love the american professional teles that are out now, but you could find a great deal on an american standard if you like belly cuts. G&L has great options, but yeah...the only way to really know is to play them and see what you like.

13. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

14. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    hrstrat57 likes this.

15. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    When I have cash in hand, I go to all the stores in my area and see if anything speaks to me. I usually stay away from the prettiest stuff because I worry too much about the dings that it will eventually acquire. Sometimes u get lucky and end up with something u never thought u could afford because of parts that have been swapped out or whatever. Those are the ones I look for. If the neck plays great, then I can always swap pickups.

16. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2011
    Midlothian, IL
    You have so many options it is almost ridiculous. For a telecaster I think anyone can get you there simply because........it's a telecaster. Not too much has changed with them since they first came out. Not hard to build yourself and certainly not hard to find a quality pre made one that will last forever. There is a reason why everyone is making them. They sound great, easy to use and everyone should have at least one.

17. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    I am curious about the dates of these posts, why do they jump around.....2010-2016 then 2014 why are they not in chronological order?? What am I missing.....color me stumped....

RJ

18. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    All the posts look like last Thursday thru yesterday (Tuesday). Maybe you were looking at the poster's join dates?

rjtwangs likes this.

19. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    You are so RIGHT!!! Mr Paratus......color me DUMB!!!!......

RJ

20. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    We all have our blind spots!

rjtwangs likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.