Old Output Transformer from Road Amplifiers 2x12 amp - need help with specs

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jondom22, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jondom22

jondom22 TDPRI Member

Hey - So my brother had picked up this old amp that was made by Road Amplifiers back in the 1970's. It's a solid state amp (sounds pretty good) in a 2x12 combo and I really can't find any info on the amp at all.

Anyways, I'm having someone build me a Twin Reverb in a head but he doesn't have an old Power Transformer, so I'm thinking of pulling the one from this Road Amp (it never gets used and needs some work), but I don't know if it is the right impedance, voltage, watts, etc. for a Twin Reverb (not really sure what you'd want to measure with this).

I can email you the pics (don't have a flickr account or anything right now).

2. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Wont work a SS power transformer is nothing like a tube power transformer. No filament windings for one thing. But the Voltages are different too SS amps operate on lower voltages than tube amps. I will tell you right now buy the right transformers. Using just any transformer even out of a tube amp might still not give you the results you want. You need a hefty power transformer to make a Twin amp. Buy the right stuff to do it.

3. jondom22

jondom22 TDPRI Member

Hmmm...I didn't know you couldn't use SS power trannys on a tube amp. It really looks very similar to a tube amp power tranny you would find on a Twin or something.

If I can't use this, whats the cheapest way of getting powerful/heavy power and output trannies (everything on ebay is round $150).

here's a link to some of the pics I just uploaded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jondom22

jondom22 TDPRI Member

5. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

jondom,

A twin reverb power tranny will be spitting out well over 400 volts on the secondaries, and also has a secondary to handle the tube filiments (12v). Your Road amp soiid state is probably putting out ~50 volts on the secondaries, and doesn't have a separate winding for the filiments... probably the size fooled you, even though they're both supplying roughly the same wattage, the voltages are radically different, to the point that the Twin tranny would fry the Road amp, and the Road amp tranny couldn't even begin to supply enough voltage to turn the tubes on...

Get the proper tranny for the Twin, I know they're not cheap, but that's what it takes...

Franc Robert

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.