Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Old German Jazzbox: the dead shall rise again

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by parkwood, Jun 22, 2018.

1. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    RadioFM74,
    rdwhitti,
    Kriticaster,
    Macrogats,

Thank you!

Rob, i really got nothing to impress a skilled pickup builder like you) Sorry

But here it goes: i've had a Korean p90 in the bin.

[​IMG]

It just looked to me a bit too massive on this guitar. So i cut all what i could around the bobbin, and the pole piece screws on the bottom too.

I've made two versions of the new housing. First had triangular sides and eventually was rejected. Second one is more simple and imo fits the guitar better.

[​IMG]

The cover is very tight on screws and sides. So I'll just use regular p90 mount to attach the pu to the top, and cover it with the housing.

[​IMG]

These supports were used to glue up the hosing in the first case and bend in the second. I had a negative fittings for the rounded sides somewhere, but they seem to be gone. That's all)

[​IMG]

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

What position are you envisioning for the pup? It’s pole spacing is probably 50mm which will probably be a better fit for the neck as far as string to pole spacing goes. Chances are it might have too much resistance for the neck position however. PM me if you find this to be correct and want a good P90 neck recipe.
    Also, beautiful job on the rounded P90 pickup mod. That shape is a favorite of mine and always looked so right on Paul Bigsby’s guitars.
    Rob

Kriticaster and El Tele Lobo like this.
  3. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    Yes! Bigsby! That's where i might have seen that. Thank you!

The p90 reads around 8,6k, spacing is 48 mm. I believe it's meant for the neck position originally. But i'm not so limited by individual saddles anyway.

I'm good with it positioned 20 mm away from fb end. I mean distance to pu cover.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  4. Barncaster

8.6k is a lot of resistance for a neck pickup. You could probably make it work well and retain clarity with 1Meg pots and a .022mF cap.

5. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    ok, Rob,
    when done, i'll take her to my studio and do a clip with a propper setup. We'll see what's your verdict will be. Overall, you're seem to take my build more serious then i do) thank you very much for that)))

El Tele Lobo and Barncaster like this.
  6. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    Anyway, i was lacking pickguard and tr cover. And for a long time wanted to mess with the epoxy faux tortoise idea. So here it goes:

I'm using slow stuff that is recommended for 'jewelry' making, claimed to be fully cured in 24 hours. Tr cover will be Ric-ish. Here is a thin plexiglass template, oversized, sided with tape. Saving some epoxy while it's clear.

[​IMG]

Tinted with the fair amount of glass paint

[​IMG]

pouring

[​IMG]

not much needed

[​IMG]

making shades with brown

[​IMG]

7. Barncaster

Personally, this guitar is going to end up in a far superior state in comparison to when it originally left the factory. I like your style and you are doing a fantastic job.

The whole concept of restoration/ rebuild vs new build is really interesting to me.

8. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    paint spreads out quickly

[​IMG]

More brown dots on the first dots

[​IMG]

... and some more

[​IMG]

Makeing swirls with a toothpick

[​IMG]

... and more brown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    Oh, i like recycling idea too) As for the guys who made this guitar originally, i have a privilege of making it just once)

Kriticaster likes this.
  10. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    back to epoxy

adding some of saved clear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm moving it to make it flow

[​IMG]

anyway it'll live own life while curing and gonna spread more naturally

11. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    First layer done

[​IMG]

Adding a second one. It's needed to make it level, yet keep the paint, which basically stays on the surface

[​IMG]

Cured. Tape removed

[​IMG]

Truing up, making it thinner Can be done even with the low angle plane

[​IMG]

Then i cut it to final shape and remove plexiglass. It splits easily, and that's why it has to be re-attached with superglue. The smoth side, which was facing plexiglass, now will be on the top. I sanded epoxy and plexi for a better grip.

[​IMG]

12. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    Considering it'll be lying on black, Not as transparent, as i was hoping. Should have tint the second layer less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    And as approved by Hallo Spencer, Musikwinkel will go on the headstock.
    No free font, as was promised: i've basically stolen Musima logo. Just made letters thiner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    Very nice on the tort.
    Cheers,
    Woody

15. Barncaster

Paint the underside of the tort with silver, gold or white and it should wake up the tort pattern even while mounted on a black surface.

Kriticaster likes this.
  16. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    craftsmanship and creative all the way, respect!

Kriticaster likes this.
  17. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    Thanks,
    woody and hopdybob

well, that's not exactly what i want) one of previous attempts was made on white plastic. But i'd like it keep it transparent. Thanks

Here is pg made the same way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should get me something above 2000 grt...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  18. coldengray

coldengray Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Absolutely love this thread. So impressive.

19. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Agreed! This is a fascinating thread. Reminds me a little bit of restoring an old car with some of the improvising you have to do. Can’t wait to see how everything turns out!

Kriticaster likes this.
  20. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Wow! Love your work with the pick guard and truss rod cover!

It never occurred to me that it was even possible to do what you’ve done! Outstanding!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.