Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Old German Jazzbox: the dead shall rise again

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by parkwood, Jun 22, 2018.

1. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hamburg, Germany
    This looks fantastic and I love faux- tortoise via epoxy idea. :)
    One very naive question, how did you make the lettering?

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

That looks spectacular!

3. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    coldengray,
    El Tele Lobo,
    Barncaster,

I'm glad you like it)

thanks,
    i guess the main issue with epoxy is the support it needs. Probably that's why noone wants to mess with it. I'm also sure that the coloring can be done much better 3d-vise. Maybe, different paint or different technique.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    Thank you,
    I don't find your question naive. I've transfered original logo to vectors and added missing letters. Phisycally, it's just two layered ABS stripes. Lettering done by hand, mostly with these: (popsicle stick is my first choice of weapon:))

[​IMG]

I guess, sane person would go to some shop to have it cut by laser or smth, there're so many options nowadays. And it would look much better. But i find this work zen-ish and relaxing)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  5. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hamburg, Germany
    all my respect to your patience, persistance and determination, sir.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. Andy3Sheds

Andy3Sheds NEW MEMBER!

Apr 4, 2016
    Beverley E Yorks
    I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your restoration thread. One thing intrigued me though, in keeping with your intention to follow The guitars heritage why didn't you use a zero fret? I appreciate that zero frets have been shunned by US manufacturers but surely Mario Maccaferri and Roger Bucknall M.B.E. (Fylde Guitars) can't both be wrong!!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    kaludjerko, thanks

Thank you for your interest (and i like your nickname)!
    I've seem to mention somewhere, that this is not a restoration project.
    I was more like: hey, a free body of a kind i can't build from scratch) let's see what's inside!

Considering that this guitar has no real market or sentimental value, i had absolutely no intention to restore it to the original specs, many of which just do not speak to me. I've just been following designs i like; deliberately or unconsciously.
    As for a zero fret, for me, it's more an attribute of a budget instrument, because it's more forgiving on nut slots. But there you're right, some of luxury instruments, especially European, do have zero fret. Maybe, i'll do one someday too)

Kriticaster likes this.
  8. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    Couple more things before the buffing.
    I wasn't certain about upper strap button. Eventually decided to do it Gretsch style. So, had to use that tuner clamp gizmo to glue screw support from the inside. I'm a studio rat, and never use straps anyway)

[​IMG]

And sure, major boo-boo, that should've happend on this stage, happened.
    I totally forgot about the bracing pattern, and hit the brace, when drilling for a volume pot.
    Oh, well... I just stuffed it with the plug. I'll step aside for a new hole, and hope that knob will cover it up.

[​IMG]

jamorudd and Kriticaster like this.
  9. Barncaster

Ah, I see Brainy is in the house.

10. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    This just gets better day by day!

11. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    Hello guys,

So, buffing. Ghetto style again) I have 1 foam pad for each compound i'm using: coarse, scratch remover, wax (and 3 spindles for narrower places). I owe Will Kelly for that, so as for a great tip about using water. That improved my results much.

I'm using Dr. Wax staff, which is easy for me to get. Their bottles appeared to be brittle. After gathering compound on the floor for a couple of times it felt down, now the first thing i do after purchase, is empty their bottles into mine.

[​IMG]

I believe, that's a regular way of holding things, seen often in Japanese wood shops. Sorry, if you find it disturbing, it's just not easy to fix this thing still.
    Do i have to mention, that i'm wearing shorts here?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  12. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    No rude jokes from me about what doctor exactly should do this.

I'm using small pots; bigger ones would not fit through cat's eyes. 250k for now. If Rob will not like the sound, i'll switch to 1Megs)
    Boy, am i glad i made me a jack socket guide!

[​IMG]

13. Barncaster

LOL, I was in a gentleman’s club in Reno with Yeknom last year when he tried that double foot move on one of the dancers. It didn’t go well.

Kriticaster likes this.
  14. Hallo Spencer

Hallo Spencer TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Apr 13, 2011
    berlin
    That trussrodcover and pickguard are just mindblowing. Wow! Love the logo!

Steveinthesticks and Kriticaster like this.
  15. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    No, thank YOU,
    I owe you one for the logo idea)

16. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    I couldn't find the knobs i like for this guitar.

The pair of vintage German brass knobs i have from another instrument, looks on this too small (black rubber tubings are missing)

[​IMG]

Any other option didn't work for me, so, i'm making my own.
    Something that reminds of the old radio, but not exactly. I'm layering black Lexan. Cap is made by etching. Will be covered up with epoxy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This cheap circle cutter, that i've modified to cut plastic and deal with smaller radii, helped a lot, although looks ugly

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  17. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I imagine you drive a E-type look-alike, just clearly special and more reliable, put together in a shed from remains of an old sewing machine and two scooters. In two weeks.

18. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    Thanks tigger, that sounds like a reliable suicide plan)
    Luckily, i don't have a shed and don't know how to drive (big city kid).
    And it's sooooooooo not in two weeks) Come on, i have a real job))))

Meanwile, i thought i'd share, how does recrowinig file of my own advanced construction looks like:

[​IMG]

Personally, I don't trust real ones; but this, applied to the fret's side, allows me greater control and leaves newly leveled tops untouched. As seen from the color, serves me for years.

[​IMG]

19. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Fantastic—love this whole thread

20. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2010
    Kyiv
    Thank you, Max

Meanwhile, Her Majesty said she wants simple wooden earings right now, sooo

[​IMG]

That's neck lamination leftovers, so i post it here. Tung oil is not cured yet.
    I see the frog...

As for the guitar, last thing that was missing is this

[​IMG]

I know, it's a bit too pathetic, but i wanted to leave that info somewhere

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.