Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Old friend invites me to play at the Country Club.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Nov 14, 2017 at 2:58 PM.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Back when I was working I played in a lot of golf tournaments, but since I've retired not so much. An old friend, a member of the family of my former employer invited me to play in a tournament even after I explained to him that at my age I was probably not going to be of much value to a team. He said that didn't matter he just wanted me to play on his team and have a good time which I did in spades. (His company paid for the event)

As it turns out, and as it often does I managed to do some good for the team, as did we all, we finished middle of the pack, but more importantly for me had a very good time. For me it was a nostalgic journey, since I had played at the CC back when I was just getting started playing golf as a young man. I was pretty intimidated by the whole country club atmosphere and the course itself. Kind of like being on stage though, down through the years as fate would return me to a round at the CC it became easier, and easier to not be intimidated until yesterday, I was able to just relax and enjoy the beauty of the course, and enjoy for a day how rich folks play golf.

Had I the monetary means, and of course the status needed to join the club, I would certainly not hesitate to willingly pay the membership fees, (more than a Custom Shop Tele) and monthly charges to play there everyday for the rest of my days. There is NOTHING in common with muni, or public courses and CC golf other than they are both classified as golf courses. This course has hosted PGA tournaments in the distant past.

I can honestly say this may have been my very last opportunity to play the course. Certainly I can't afford to play there even if a situation arose that I could. Once I was invited to play there, and between the green fees and other costs, it took a good chunk out of 5 C notes to enjoy the day. In retirement I simply can't justify spending that kind of money. I am thankful that the forces of fate aligned to allow me to have one more go around, and I am sincerely thankful to the powers of the universe.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Municipal courses have nothing in common with country clubs :lol:

When you said that it made me think about during the Masters one year they (CBS or the Golf Channel) visited Augusta municipal or whatever the nearest municipal to Augusta is called and that grass was more than a little scorched, and those balls were bouncing like they were in a parking lot :lol::lol:

I am glad you got to play the promised land again though.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    drlucky, Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.

3. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Municipal Golf:
    upload_2017-11-14_12-29-1.jpeg

Country Club Golf:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    drlucky, rich815 and nojazzhere like this.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Speaking as a complete non-golfer, I'm glad you got at least one last shot (maybe not?) at your Shangri La.....we all have hopes and dreams, some more modest than others.....here's hoping everyone achieves theirs.

Toto'sDad and rich815 like this.

5. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I know that feeling. Years ago I had a chance to play the Olympic Club south of San Francisco and also Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Spanish Bay and the lowly (joke!) Poppy Hills. It was all business related and paid for. Amazing experiences. The places are simply breath-taking. I was lucky.

dean, Toto'sDad and RodeoTex like this.

6. fenderese

fenderese TDPRI Member

Toto'sDad likes this.

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I've been on some business trips like this. It's kinda like watching yourself in a movie. When it's over, you think: "ok, that happened," and you see it as a package deal, never to be repeated.

Some people get addicted to that feeling.

Toto'sDad likes this.

8. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Am I the only one...

Who from reading the thread title thought TD had a guitar gig lined up? :oops:

xafinity, aerhed, 1293 and 1 other person like this.

9. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    The local public course where I grew up hosted the PGA Championship and will again in 2019.

10. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    +1 here...

11. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

That's what I thought, they'd never let me in a country club otherwise.

I did have a roommate back in school who was a caddy at a big club around Chicago called Medina I think. He had some stories to tell about a laundry list of celebrity clientele. He said he made killer money, then he didn't pay for 3 months rent!

12. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    It really was a cool day! My old boss's grandson who kind of runs things at the store I used to work at invited me. It meant a lot having the folks I used to work for think of me, and to invite me to play. My boss passed on last year, and I sincerely miss him, I attended the funeral and saw the old gang at that time. I truly was surprised and grateful to be paying with old friends. I have been fortunate in that most of the folks I worked for and with over the years have treated me well after I moved on.

Had a delightful evening on Lake Tahoe over in Incline Village at the home of a former boss once. Another of my former employers took us took us to J.D.'s over in Phoenix many moons ago. I made a hole in one last year just about this time of the year. One never knows when something good might happen. My wife and I are scheduled to play at one of the nicest munis you could hope to play tomorrow that is in very good condition. It'll be kind of neat to play there and compare it to the C.C. while it's fresh in my mind.

haggardfan1 and nojazzhere like this.

13. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I have actually been on Pebble, but have not played it. My wife and I went there just before a tournament being staged there. The TV guys we were told were coming in on 18. The staff let us walk out on the first hole, actually the first tee and take some pics. Then we walked around the clubhouse and saw the guys on 18 hit their approach shots and putt out. They hit pretty decent shots! That has to be one of most wonderful meetings of land and sea of anywhere on earth.

rich815, haggardfan1 and xafinity like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.