We've got a yellow lab that is well on his way to being 14 years old. We adopted him when he was about 2 and he has been a great friend to us. He weighs in around 100 lbs. We had never had a dog that big, nor a purebred. When I asked the vet how long we could expect him to live he told us 10 years, maybe 12 if we were lucky. Last year he had 2 surgeries for mast cell tumor removal about 3 or 4 months apart. He hasn't been quite himself since #2, but he pretty much has kept his goofy, lovable personality until about 4 months ago. Our vet says that he is loaded with arthritis from his shoulders, along his spline and into his hips. As a result he has started pooping in the house on a regular basis. We started him on galliprant a few weeks ago and he has shown a remarkable improvement in his movement. It also has changed the consistency of his poop making it a lot messier to clean up. My wife has spent the last month or so sleeping on the sofa in the living room where the dogs bed is. She gets up to leave him out 3 or 4 times each night, but he still makes a mess, sometimes only a short time after he was outside. She is putting up a good front, but I can see this is really starting to wear on her. He has started licking and chewing on himself till the site turns raw. He has chewed a 12 inch long section of his tail till it bleeds etc. We have an inflatable collar left over from his surgeries, and have been using that for a few weeks and he seems comfortable with it on, and his tail is healing, but if we let his collar off he starts chewing on it again. The vet says that his kidneys are starting to fail, and recommends a K-9 kidney diet to help him to live longer. And here is where I get to sound like a schmuck, cause I don't know if I want to extend his life to the bitter end. He also has partial esophigal paralysis, and is just getting over an upper respiratory infection. Our last dog was a sheltie/lab plus whatever mutt, that lived to be 16. He had advanced diabetes for his last year, and my wife nursed him to the point of us having to carry him in and out. I had made up my mind to let her make the decision as to when to take him to his last vet visit, and we just let it go way too far. The dog was just not happy, and by the time she made her mind up, it was almost pitiful to witness. So this time I'm going to make the call, and I'm thinking that the time is coming up. Even though he is back to taking long walks, most times he doesn't seem happy any more, and he seems really depressed every time he has an accident. That big tail of his that seemed to never stop wagging is now kept tucked up between his legs, with an occasional small wagging here and there. The vet is going to call me today to go over his latest blood work today, and I want to have a serious discussion with him about how far to go with this. So I guess my question for anyone that has read all the way through this post is, what have others done in this situation. This is a very difficult situation I find myself in and I would greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thank You.