Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Old Crow Medicine Show

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by brogh, Sep 14, 2017.

1. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Well you probably had heard enough over there about these guys, i discovered them not so much time ago.

I think they're brilliant, great groove, pieces perfectly executed, I think the singer is really something, i like very much the tones and the variety of styles they are able to execute and mix together, looks to be something that you might wanna see live.

couple of tunes i like :)

enjoy

willhowl, Steve Holt and nielsk like this.

2. nielsk

nielsk Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2015
    Netherlands

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    While I hope to never hear "Wagon Wheel" again, I really like OCMS. They have a lot of good songs. "Alabama Hi-Test" is one.

4. SomeVelvetMorning

SomeVelvetMorning TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Gilford, New Hampshire
    I first saw them on the lawn at the Newport Folk Festival before anyone knew who they were. My wife insisted on buying the CD :). Good band!

5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I took a tour of the Grand Ole Opry last Friday, and found out during the tour that Old Crow Medicine Show would be playing there that night. I bought tickets immediately (fortunately it wasn't sold out and the tickets were pretty cheap) So at the end of the night Old Crow comes out to do their bit and it was amazing. It was a great time and a great performance. After the show they signed autographs of their new DVD for their live concert of Blonde on Blonde. I have to say I'm glad I bought the DVD because it really brings the music to life. That and the fact that most of the members are multi-instrumentalists. Several of them rotate between 2, 3, and even 4 instruments throughout the show. I've watched it probably 3 times since I got back from Nashville.

I've been fans of theirs since around 2003 or 2004, but I hadn't followed them or listened in a while, but now I'm hooked again.

It was a little intimidating meeting them because the whole band was standing in a line, seven of them, and we had to walk up and insert ourselves in the middle to have our picture taken. So as I'm awkwardly walking up to this group of strangers I turn right and Ketch Secor (the band leader and fiddle player) is standing there with the most sincere smile and asked how I was doing. Watching interviews with the band on Youtube since the performance I really get the feeling that he's just that sincere of a guy all the time and loves bringing his music to the world.

If you haven't gotten a chance to check out 50 years of Blonde on Blonde I highly recommend the DVD and the album.

brogh likes this.

6. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    That must have been a great night !! ill be looking at the DVD, I noticed that all of them plays more than one instrument, and i think that's a cool part of the sound they have, it keeps it so fresh and alive, one of the best bands I've heard around and i really would like to see them live sooner or later.

i just wish i was a millionaire so i could buy a house in Nashville, book one year of tickets at the opry and many other places around there, and enjoy all that beautiful music .. so envyyyyyyy !! :D

willhowl likes this.

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Yep, they are awesome. I think the guts of Old Crow (Willie Watson and Ketch) are now playing with the Dave Rawlings Machine, which is another awesome "band." (It's basically Gillian Welch only with Dave as the lead singer).

Any Old Crow fans also listen to Whiskeytown?

cnlbb, Johnson johnson and brogh like this.

8. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    didn't know these guys .. i just watched "the weekend" video... man ... i whish i was driving that chevy with my cowboy hat with those landscapes around me ..

9. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    They're good. I also like their work with the Rawlings Machine and solo projects.

10. nielsk

nielsk Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2015
    Netherlands
    This is from their bio. Doc Watson giving them a push, how much more legit can you get.

Old Crow Medicine Show started busking on street corners in 1998 New York state and up through Canada, winning audiences along the way with their boundless energy and spirit. They eventually found themselves in Boone, North Carolina where they caught the attention of folk icon Doc Watson while playing in front of a pharmacy. He invited the band to play at his festival, MerleFest, helping to launch their career. Shortly thereafter the band was hired to entertain crowds between shows at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, TN.

11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I didn't pay attention to your first post, but the two videos you posted are from the live Blonde on Blonde performance that they did at the Country Music Hall of Fame for the DVD. My favorite at the moment...

12. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I don't know if you're right or wrong but as far as I know Willie Watson left the group to do his own solo stuff and has done some work with Dave Rawlings Machine, but Ketch Secor is still the frontman for Old Crow Medicine Show. He may be doing some work on the side, I don't know, but he's still with the band.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Thanks for posting this....only suggestion I would have for them is to lay off the grass and 'ludes before the show...almost put me to sleep.....(NOT!)

Steve Holt likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.