Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ol Fashioned Country

Discussion in 'Epic Threads' started by StephenX, Aug 23, 2010.

1. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    So you want some real ol fashoned country? Check this woman out>>>>

Hotdam, it worked, thx CS ( the you tube embedding ).

Seems like you can always find practitioners of "real" country music in Texas. They have more respect for tradition there (from what I've seen and heard over the years.)
    Who else can twang and sing these days in what George Jones was quoted as saying in another post?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Hey, that's Amber Digby!

http://www.amber-digby.com/

She's got a bunch of other good tunes posted on Youtube. Her steel player, Dicky Overbey, is a living Texas legend... What an amazing player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJKox3E9OUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ_Nc7h7MTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAAH0WBkWOo

Amber's voice might not have the sheer power of LeAnn Rimes, but who does? Amber gets the job done quite nicely, and besides, her choice of repertoire and pedal steel player more than make up for everything! :cool: ;)

Thanks for posting!

3. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    Me&LeAnn.jpg

Speaking of LeAnn ( now y'all know what I look like; I'm not my great granpappy on my Avatar. And since "TelleuteTelleme" taught me how to do this, here is 1 more .

Well, it would not let me post 2 pics, (guess I still got some learning to do)

4. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    Quabes&Me.jpg

Who ARE these girls?

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    She was great so was the steel player!

6. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Okay, I was happy when you posted about Amber Digby, but now I'm officially jealous! How long were you able to go before you had to wash that hand?! :p :lol: :oops:

Not to hijack your thread about Amber, but I'm glad that LeAnn seems to be coming "back to her roots" so to speak with a more traditional country and gospel/soul repertoire. She never really lost me, but I'm glad she seems to have figured out who she wants to be musically.

So what kind of perfume was she wearing?! Inquiring minds what to know! ;) :D :rolleyes:

7. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2005
    Colorado
    Miss Leslie - You Left Me a Long Time Ago

Honky Tonk Hangover

I Need Me a Whole Lot More Than I Need You

8. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Quebe Sisters

9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    The Quebe sisters are talented and amazingly professional aren't they? Dad must be a good teacher. And I want his guitar.

Good music, all.

10. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    That was some good stuff from Miss Leslie ! Thats how it should sound.The Quebe Sisters are great too, I don't believe that is their Dad that plays guitar with them, more a friend,mentor and chaperon. He's a really good picker too.

You might recognize that club where I met LeAnn if you live in Dallas. Thats the place that cuts your tie in half if you are naive enough to wear one in there. You can see them on the wall. She was just so lovely in person. That was right when "Blue" hit and she was riding here 1st national success. I had to watch out for Mama Rines, she was watching her daughter like a hawk to make sure people like me didn't get too close.:twisted:

I can't recall her perfume but her hair smelled so fresh and sexy it made me wish I was in High School again.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010

11. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    growing up near philly every VFW had bands playing real country like that.

now you couldn't get a gig playing real country in my area even if you paid them for it.

maybe i should move...

12. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas

You are right StephenX, it's some lucky guy named Joey McKenzie.

I guess I automatically put myself in their Dad's position (without checking the facts)-if I had three lovely young talented daughters I'd want to protect them. It's a Dad thing.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010

13. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

14. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Wow! Great thread! I'm totally enjoying all this great music. Keep 'em coming!

The Quebe Sisters are amazing! I am embarrassed to admit I had never heard of them. That's music

I don't know too many bands who would want to go on stage after the Quebe Sisters... Time for the big guns!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBbOqrJxVLQ

15. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I enjoyed that Jay. Earl was a big fan of Maybelle...Lester and Earl did a lot of Carter Family songs. This is their version of one of my favorite Carter Family songs. Just two chords and it jumps time but the quirkyness makes it better somehow.

Maybelle used the same lick in two other Carter family songs (Bear Creek Blues and Coal Miner Blues). Hey, it was the Depression...can't go wasting perfectly good guitar licks. Another good one was Cannonball blues, first cut in the early 30's with AP doing lead vocals and when they switched labels it was recut with Sarah and Maybelle doing the vocals.

Maybelle does more with a C chord than anyone I can think of.

16. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    And to keep it rolling (thanks for all vids and comments ) Here is the man who told next door neighbor Ray Stevens to "shove it" after he complained about all the smelly Nashville tourist buses ruining the neighborhood to see Webbs guitar shaped pool.

17. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I'll see your Webb Pierce and raise you a Faron Young...

...and thanks for the heads up on Amber Digby.

18. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    Elihu, great upbeat Faron there!

I have a 45 rpm of his "Live Fast, Love Hard, Die Young". One of my treasured vinyls. He did many a classic.

19. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    virginia
    Here is one that nobody else has ever sounded like vocally imho. Many can pull off a good Patsy,Loretta,Connie, etc. but I have never heard another female sound like Ms Wynette. Is that Skaggs in the background?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.