Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Okay this must be the freakiest freshwater fish ever.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Feb 7, 2009.

1. hondo76

hondo76 Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2008
    aubrey tx
    aligator gar like that are commen around here there in just about all the local rivers but if you looking for the monster gar you will want the trinity river or green belt river that feeds from lake ray roberts to lake lewisville.

2. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Alligator gar are HUGE. I'm from Louisiana, too.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    When I was sixteen, I taught snorkeling at our Scout Council summer camp. Gar in the river, some of them very large. One about three feet long latched itself onto another instructors calf muscle. Got him out of the water, fish wouldn't come off. Tried to pry it with a screwdriver, fish wouldn't come off. Pretty bloody mess too. Finally cut the head off the fish. Fish still wouldn't let go. Camp doc drove him 40 miles to the hospital, they got the fish off. Like a freakin' bulldog that Gar was. I stay outta the water anywhere they might be around.

4. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

actually gar is great tasting... not sure about alligator gar..but needlenose gar is better than crappie. if you split them down the back there are 2 loafs of meat that run the length of the spine..its completely bonefree.

5. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2007
    andoverandoverandover,ct
    don't sleep people! we live a lot closer to the creatures from our nightmares than a lot of people know! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

6. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    Well, now I have heard of one attacking somebody but considering the source.....

:rolleyes:

7. Big John

Big John RIP

Feb 1, 2006
    Austin Tx.

Aha !, i'm guessing here but does it have that 'muddy' flavour like Pike ?, i have tried pike here and though it was popular in medieval times it had a curious taste and a LOT of tiny bones in it.

8. popthree

i've never had pike so i can't say.. but i wouldn't describe the taste of gar as 'muddy' its a really white meat and flaky.. if you've ever had crappie rolled in cornmeal and deep fried...thats the way to prepare gar.. it tastes similar to crappie.

if you just split it down the back and take out the 2 loafs/strips of meat running down the spine, there are no bones in that part.... the rest of the fish however, is not worth trying to filet.. too many bones, not much good meat.

9. popthree

10. Crotalus Atrox

Crotalus Atrox Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2005
    Big D, Texas
    When I was 11, I went to a summer football camp located next to one of our local lakes. There was a mosquito borne encephalitis scare that year, so they sprayed all the lakes with some chemical that is probably now illegal. The result was a massive fish kill, which included some truly impressive alligator gar. I'll never forget all those rotting monsters along the shore. In the 100 degree Texas heat, it added a special aroma to make those windsprints in full pads just that much better.

I took a spearfishing class at a scuba shop in Corpus Christi, and the subject of spearing gar came up. Someone noted that, "If you drag a gar behind a car on a paved road, it'll throw sparks." As I was wondering what kind of an idiot would tie a rope on a fish and drag it down a road, two other guys chimed in, "He's right, we used to do that, too." I never have tested this to see if it works. Anybody?

11. jwj4856

jwj4856 Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2008
    shreveport, LA
    Martyb1, this pic has been floating around on internet for some years now, it is indeed a Tigerfish which are from Africa and grow to over 30" long, they are a distant relative of the Piranah which the largest grow to around 18", he is definitely a wicked looker though.

12. jwj4856

jwj4856 Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2008
    shreveport, LA
    Here is a pic of the catfish we catch around here in the stock ponds, no use to go to the lakes and catch the big ones cause they are too big to clean.

[​IMG]

Actually this is a Mekong catfish caught in the Mekong river and only weighs in at 424 pounds. The largest catch recorded in Thailand since record-keeping began in 1981 was a female measuring 2.7 m (roughly 9 feet) in length and weighing 293 kg (646 lb).

13. popthree

good thing those boys weren't noodling or they'd have been fish food:eek:

14. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

Toothless monster . . .

My encounter with a monster was much less dangerous, yet still pretty exciting. My grandpa used to take us kids "fishing" for sturgeon on Flathead Lake in Montana. Of course, the existence of such fish in the lake was hotly debated and debunked by many. But one was apparently caught in the lake in about 1955, and it hung on my granddad's office wall for 30 years. It eventually went into the local museum. While on one outing, we spotted four of these - lhe largest estimated at about 12-14 feet in length. This "little" one (it is a young sturgeon - 27 yrs old) weighed 181 lbs and was 7 1/2 feet long.

[​IMG]

Not terribly scary, but pretty large!

Dean

15. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Well, A: They're fine fishing and good eating (but slimy and hard to hold cleaning) and B: I think the bass are eating the young. They're around but they haven't delivered on the devastation some have predicted. They seem to be in pockets around the Potomac. There are even a few guides that advertise for snakeheads but they're the first to say they definitely can't promise anything. The rockfish (uh...striped bass to most of you) are much more common. They may wind up coexisting okay.

16. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2004
    EN JAY
    I remember watching a fishing show a few years back, where they were fishing for alligator gar somwhere in the midwest I think.
    They were using tackle similar to what you'd use to catch tuna & instead of dealing with hooks, they used the stuffing from old mattresses, tied to the lines.
    The fish's teeth would tangle in the fibers & they'd just cut them loose when they were done with them.
    You probably don't wanna lip one like you would a bass.

17. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    That makes Sense. I was wondering how they kept those teeth nice and clean, so the fishing line is kinda of like Dental Floss for the Gars..

18. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

Feb 12, 2006
    Santa Fe New Mexico
    Hey old nabor swimming in Silver Lake up in Brooksville saw some Fat Gar, And them pesky Cotton Moth swim across a lake just to bite you!! I miss the old South.:lol:

19. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

Feb 12, 2006
    Santa Fe New Mexico
    A little disturbing YouTube Video on the Gar makes me think was I stupid to swim in murky Cypress Red Stained waters that you could not see two inches in front of you!!

And this is a small one Take Warning Not for the Animal Lovers to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=louHAnHRCZ0

20. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2008
    College Station, TX
    My in-laws just got back from South America where they saw these fish in the Amazon:
    [​IMG]
    They are called pirarucu and are six foot long, air-breathing fish that eat birds!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.