Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Okay this must be the freakiest freshwater fish ever.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Feb 7, 2009.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Seems he had a bit of a time making sure it was dead.

2. bonefish

bonefish Tele-Holic

Aug 6, 2007
    Whitewood, SD
    last time i went diving my buddy felt the need to remind me-"just remember, jacque costeau, you're not at the top of the food chain anymore!"

3. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2005
    ROCK!linghausen/germany
    what a childhood! being raised around monsters on the bayou. sounds like a good title for a tune.

4. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

And that makes me remember what I was told when I spent a summer in the Rockies in British Columbia....the definition of a wilderness is 'a place where you can be eaten.'

5. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I just watched a documentary on the snakehead. These things are really bad news for bass and other indigenous fish. Apparantly, they are a favored eating fish in S.E. Asia and some folks have been illegally importing them into the U.S.

6. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Also weird- Cuttlefish

Saw a show on these. Saltwater, though, so i'm not competing. Just another weird fishy.
    Cuttlefish wiki

7. B Valley

B Valley Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2008
    Glendale, Az
    I haven't heard about this one. Did you check it out on Snopes?

8. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria

9. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Sturgeon are a pretty monster fresh water fish as well. There are salt water species I think as well, but they are in lakes and rivers here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2008
    South Florida
    Ah yes, the Gar. Made somewhat famous, well, he's mentioned anyways, in John Anderson's tune Seminole Wind~

So blow, blow Seminole wind,
    Blow like you're never gonna blow again.
    I'm calling to you like a long lost friend,
    But I know who you are.
    And blow, blow from the Okeechobee,
    All the way up to Micanopy.
    Blow across the home of the Seminole,
    The alligators and the gar.

It's kind of a camp fire anthem down here in Florida ;)

Lotsa weird beasties in the swamps and streams... some cute and cuddly, and some not. Check out the alligator turtle ... he sits on the river bottom until you step on him, then he bites ya. Not my idea of fun! :eek:

<edit to link to a new pic... hotlinking issues....>

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009

11. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

I was familiar with them from my time in Missouri and Oklahoma, but I was kinda surprised that they do well way up here in Rupertsland. It's pretty easy to find them in lakes in the Canadian Shield as big as two feet head to tail. Pretty durable and adaptable, considering the difference between a Florida river bottom and the bottom of a glacial lake.

12. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

Nov 28, 2006
    Ocean Springs,Mississippi
    Yeah it was fun! Caught alligators and monster catfish. Lots of water moccasins and big ole snappin turtles.
    My favorite thing though, was skipping school to sneak onto the pond on the Sandhill Crane Wildlife Refuge cause it was just full of really big bass.

Sigh................:D

13. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2006
    S.E. North Carolina
    lotta' years ago... went fishin' on this mill lake damned up on a river... fished all day and nuttin'... About the time everybody's gettin' ready to leave, I see a bunch of feedin' activity takin place on the surface and I start casting into the middle of it... They're ignoring my lure, but I keep right on until I obviously ticked somebody off and he grabbed it and took off for the bottom... Big 'ole fight and a lot of fun later and I dragged him outta' there and then freaked out when I saw that bad boy with all them teeth... One o' them gar family I reckoned... had sucked the lure into his gut about halfway down his length... :eek: Had to cut it out... wouldn't have 'et him with your mouth... :lol:

Hook a snappin' turtle? Now there's a tug-o-war! :lol:

14. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    nippon
    saw one for the first time last night on Monsterquest, then this today. Not very cuddly are they.

15. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    That's really called a "Tigerfish". Pirahna don't get that big.

16. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2008
    Saint Paul
    Damn. Swimming pools for me from now on.

Some of those fish! Damn. I'm looking for Ray Finkel.........

17. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    Never heard of a Gar attacking anyone.

On the other hand...the Sharks we have here on the Atlantic Ocean will indeed try to make you thier dinner. :twisted:
    We also have Bluefish that are like Pirahna but bigger- they just eat other fish but will bite you if you stick your finger in thier mouths.

Can't wait for July/August when they come back to New Jersey again so I can hook them! :)

18. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

its big sport around here... Arkansas River and the lakes on it... to bowfish for gar, spoonbill and other 'rough' fish.

19. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Me neither, actually, but given their behaviour I would assume that they might take a bite out of you if you were right in front of them. When I was a lad here in Rupertsland, I was bitten by Northern Pike twice while swimming. Once, the fish in question was no more than six inches long, and I saw it come straight for me from about 10 feet away. Not an accident, just a VERY aggressive little fishy.

20. Big John

Big John RIP

Feb 1, 2006
    Austin Tx.
    Come on !, this is TDPRI !!, someone must have a recipe for that stuff !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.