Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Okay this must be the freakiest freshwater fish ever.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I just saw a thing on animal planet about these and I figure I show it to you guys too.

[​IMG]
    This is a baby Aligator Gar, a member of the pike family, a predatory fish. It looks pretty cute when still small...

But don't let that fool you because these ****ers grow HUGE.
    [​IMG]

And as for why they are called "Aligator Gar", you only have to look at their mouths.
    [​IMG]

Forget about Jaws, these guys are way scarier and they live in rivers.

2. Rabog

Rabog Former Member

Jan 22, 2009
    UK
    But not in the UK.......thank god!

3. blacklinefish

blacklinefish Tele-Afflicted

Jun 19, 2006
    Northwest Missouri
    The snakehead fish that showed up in the Crofton, Maryland area kind of freaks me out.

...but, I will admit that the first time I came across a gar I thought I was seeing a freshwater sea-monster.

4. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

Aug 22, 2004
    New York
    That's a monstrous fish, but not as scary as the little catfish that swims into your urinary tract.

5. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    I grew up in Louisiana and we used to go water skiing in the swamp. I got tired and dropped off but the guys in the boat didn't notice so I was out there for a while. A pair of those things swam right up to me checking me out.

6. Luckily we only have the longnose gar around here. I grew up swimming in the local river and would have FREAKED if I would have had one of those swim past me!

L8R,
    Matt

7. jlrich

jlrich Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2004
    Marion, NC
    I grew up right on the Mississippi River. Gar and Alligator Gar are very common, and they can get up to 6 feet long. They put up a huge fight when you hook them.
    Another crazy looking fish in that area is the Paddlefish or what we called a Spoonbill Catfish.

8. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

My son caught an Alligar a few years back, about 3' long... put up a heck of a fight! He caught it in the Cotee River, a few blocks from the house (New Port Richey, FL) Very primitive, primevil looking fish, and gnarly as they come...

Franc Robert

9. mofugly13

mofugly13 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2007
    San Francisco
    Holy cow, are those good eatin??

10. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    Wow is that the new Road Worn version of the Pike fish??

11. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Uhhh, no... far too bony, and the scales are incredibly tough...

Franc Robert

12. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

Sep 21, 2008
    Richmond
    That fish is as mean looking as I've ever seen, and I never heard of those before . Heard of Gars, but not that monster. Used to water ski in S Georgia along with alligators, Moccasins, and snapping turtles; but if I ever saw one of those, my skiing days would have been over.

13. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    Not this time, Red. Other way around I'm afraid. ;)

14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Reading that I had to think of another thing I saw on animal planet: a documentary on THESE.
    [​IMG]
    Grey Whales

Grey Whales are known for being the ideal Whale watching whales, they are approachable and friendly.
    [​IMG]

But you really DON'T want to piss these whales off. The Grey Whale became the target of choice in the late 19'th century when species like the Right whale (so called because it was the "Right" whale to hunt, being slow swimmers and floating after being killed) were hunted so severely that there hardly were any left. But the Grey Whale would not go down without a fight, many whaling crews who were accustomed to Right whales and Sperm whales now faced a whale that would actually attack their boats and render them to spilters with its tail. The ferociousness of the Grey Whale's anger was so much that the whalers gave them the nickname "Devil fish."

15. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 18, 2007
    Alberta,Canada
    I was sent this a couple months ago.It is a world record Piranha
    How would you like a school of these sneakin up on you :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    So will those Alligator Gars attack a person?

17. OutlawSteph1975

OutlawSteph1975 Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2005
    Holy Cow. :eek: These guys must share a common prehistoric ancestor with crocodilian species.

[​IMG]

18. Lerb21

Lerb21 Friend of Leo's

Dec 10, 2007
    New Florence, PA
    I don't believe that humans are on their menu. I've read that they only attack humans rarely.

19. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

Nov 28, 2006
    Ocean Springs,Mississippi
    No, they don't eat people. But parts of their flesh is posion so much care is needed to prepare it to eat.

We used to catch spotted gar and alligator gar all the time in the bayou by my house I grew up in. The big ones would fight for awhile and then snap your line (or bite your hook in half). Which was fine with me, cause I sure as heck didn't want to try and pull the hook out of their mouths!

20. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

They tend to live in murky water and eat whatever gets in their way. So I've heard of people getting bitten by gar, even small ones. I spent the night on a pontoon boat on Lake Ft. Gibson in Oklahoma, and while we were making breakfast, we noticed the water rippling towards the boat like a gust of wind was coming. It was actually about a bajillion small fish running ahead of who knows how many gar, all of them between 1 and 3 feet long, and snapping at the little fish with their upper jaws coming clear of the water with every bite. Freaky stuff. And I didn't go water skiing there anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.