Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

OK to use Solder from Harbor Freight?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by tacomamc, Dec 2, 2012.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I have always read/ been told that 60/40 Rosin core solder is what I should use. I only need a little bit for a pedal mod, and also some BillM mods (in the future) on my Blues Junior. Is it ok to use this stuff from Harbor Freight Tools? Its the only stuff they have listed online, though I'll be picking it up at the local store. Radio Shack has some, but its way more expensive, and I'd rather not order online since its the only thing I'd be ordering. The link and description is below. Thanks!

http://www.harborfreight.com/lead-free-rosin-core-solder-69378.html

Lead-Free Rosin Core Solder

Lead-free to prevent toxic contamination
    Rosin core solder is ideal for low temperature electronics soldering
    422.6° Fahrenheit melting point
    Packed in a poly tube dispenser

Composition: 96% tin, 4% silver solder

2. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Nov 8, 2009
    New York
    I would stick with the 60/40 rosin core. Lead free solder has a higher melting point and can be harder to work with. This could be especially important when working with small stuff inside a pedal -- you don't want to overheat the components.

3. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    Kester 44. Buy it once and be done with it. It'll likely last the average hobbyist a lifetime. Or, you could go for the pocket pack.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Ok, thanks to you both. I'll follow your recommendations

6. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    LOL. I have a spool that is almost out, lasted 20 years.

7. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

I would not use that for the BillM mods! Bill gives warnings about not having your iron get too hot when doing the mods to avoid lifting up the PCB traces... so using a solder that melts at a higher temp is NOT a good idea!

8. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Yes, thats what I was most concerned about (Blues Junior). Thanks all!

9. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Durham, NC
    I went on a "lead free" kick for a while building pedals, and never found it significantly harder to work with, but...

- A hot iron is a must
    - it doesn't always play well with other solder if you're modding
    - I promise you at you'll spend more than $6 bucks at this hobby so better solder is a drop in the bucket, nay well, of pedal/amp building.

Kester44 or at the very least get the ratshack solder

10. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Durham, NC, USA
    I modded a mic pre (DMP3) with ROHS lead-free solder. It was a nightmare getting parts out of it. The solder just wouldn't melt. I didn't even do both channels, it was such a pain.

11. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2009
    Stockholm,Sweden
    I am very grateful that there was nobody who recommended tacomamc to use lead free solder. and gave him good reasons to stay away from it. I have always used Ersin Multicore Solder but as long as the solder is a good 60/40 solder it will do the job.

12. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Hey everybody, thanks for your help. I actually got two rolls of lead free solder from harbor freight for Christmas. However, I already ordered the right stuff from futurlec so I exchanged the lead free stuff for some other stuff I can use. Thanks again, you all DID steer me right!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.