Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ok, so whats your next gig and gear...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by T Prior, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Good luck with that, Don. When I was in Skagway, I had a great singer only she couldn't count to save her life. She'd come in too early or too late. I worked with her on it, and she got better, but still had issues. There weren't a lot of other people to play with. I think she's in Anchorage if you want to audition her. ;-)

Don Miller likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Tonight I am playing with Tracie Lynn at the Broken Spoke.
    Though I usually use my avatar guitar with TL, I am going to play my Gibson R6.
    It has fresh flatwounds on it, and I think it needs some exercise.
    Looking forward to it!

3. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Aug 6, 2016
    Largo, Fl
    Fri and Sat night at the local Eagles Club, Sun afternoon playing a private party at the American Legion
    Playing old school classic country, classic rock and Blues
    Shobud Professional D-10 thru two Peavey Nashville 400's, Les Paul 2018 classic goldtop w/P90's thru a Boogie MK 3

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Original punk rock Friday night. 4 bands on the bill.

Roadworn Paisley Tele with Bigsby. Small pedalboard (vibrato, OD, delay). Hot Rod Deluxe IV. Tele in a gigback on my back. Small Pedalboard in one hand. Amp in the other. EZPZ.

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Oregon
    I will be headlining Madison Square Garden using, basically, my imagination and nothing else. I try to keep it simple... But, there's a guitar show in Portland on Sunday that begs my disposable income.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    tonight, the weekly brewpub gig. Our guest artists tonight are Langham and Gill - Doug Gill and Lynn Langham. A wonderful duo - we're lucky to have them. Langham wrote the title cut for the recent Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell record - Old Yellow Moon, just as one example. Lynn is a Houston girl, so we get to see them when she's back in town to see her mom.

Going with my usual set up, Gibson flattop, tele, Princeton SF (no-verb), small pedalboard. Should be fun. Might even take the old open-back banjer.

...run! I hear banjo music!

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Saturday evening, closing out the season at one of Long Island's beach venues with a band I had my first rehearsal with last night.

Parts Tele and Bootlegger Hounder, Fender Mustang III v2, Mooer GE-200 modeling board.

- D

8. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    We want a full gig report with pictures after the show!

StrangerNY likes this.
  9. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Haaa...no thanks....I used to back a woman who wrote original songs...but sometimes the way she made them original was to vary the length of the verses...so a "12 bar" verse could have sections of 2-3-5-7-9 measures in it...and could be 8 or 10 or 14, etc measures long...and each verse was different...I couldn't keep track...and it could change depending on her mood, interpretation, etc....we went our separate ways...I saw her at an open mike about a year later and one thing I noticed was that her song structure was a lot more uniform.....

Nickadermis likes this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    So you're saying there might be hope? :cool:

Nickadermis likes this.
  11. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    My buddy and I, AKA Almost Blue, are back at the Roundhouse Brewery http://roundhousebrew.com/ this coming Saturday for a 2-hour gig. The brewery's just a few minutes from my house in the old railyards. :)

We're both playing/micing small tube amps. My buddy plays a Strat or a Tele, a Cordoba acoustic-electric nylon-string guitar, and an ac-el Loar mandolin. I'll switch off between a modded Gretsch Thinline, a parlor with a soundhole humbucker, and a Gretsch Dixie Banjo. Amps and vocals go to Allen & Heath ZED10FX mixer then to a Fishman Fish Stick and a Behringer 15" speaker. We play a lot of beer and/or train songs for this gig. First 5 songs =
    1. King of the Road, Roger Miller/1964
    2. Friend of the Devil, Grateful Dead/1970
    3. 16 Tons, Merle Travis/1946
    4. Everly Bros: All I Have to do is Dream (written by Felice & Boudleaux Bryant/1957)
    5. People Gotta Be Free, Young Rascals/1969

teletimetx and telestratosonic like this.
  12. Stiv

Stiv TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2018
    East Lansing, MI
    I played with a friend's Rockin' Blues band two Saturdays ago. We played on an outdoor stage at a street fair.

I used the Am Dlx Tele in the avatar, a cell phone recharger powered pedalboard with MXR univibe, MXR dynacomp mini, Ibanez Tube Screamer mini, MXR carbon copy, Ernie Ball VP Jr, to my 5E3 homebrew with an eBay era Warehouse Veteran 30. It cut through on a stage opposite a guitarist using a Silverface Bassman 50 into a 2x12" with Celestion V30s.

I'm sure the bassman rig would've won in a volume battle, but we are two refined gentleman who know how to control our stage volume, and still be heard. It is big fun to play with guys who serve the song.

Using the same rig on Saturday afternoon at a multiple band music festival about an hour away from here.

Random1643 likes this.
  13. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Mar 23, 2003
    Harmony, R.I.
    Playing some bass for two shows at a local Applefest. CIJ 51RI P-Bass, Quilter Toneblock 200, and a Bag End S12D cabinet.

Random1643 and Paul in Colorado like this.
  14. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
    Goodness gracious, that is quite a steel rig. How loud do you run those Nashvilles??

15. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    My next one is a guitar gig this evening with Joel Hoffmann at the Brookshire Brothers grocery store in Canyon Lake, Tx.
    Friends Billy and Frank are the (fine) rhythm section.
    Everybody sings.
    The hours got changed from 6-8PM to 7-10 PM.
    I have my regular bass gig in Austin at 9PM, so I’m only going to play for an hour with Joel and the guys.
    Hopefully ACL Fest traffic won’t mess me around too much.
    Today is a good day!
    I did a 15 minute gig earlier today, singing Happy Trails, Waltz Across Texas, and Miles And Miles Of Texas for a transferring employee.
    Odd gig, but it was fun, easy and profitable.

16. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My first gig in awhile (since my last band broke up this spring) is tonight. It is an acoustic trio sort of affair with me joining in on 5 or 6 songs as second guitar and backup vocals. The rest of the evening will be the other guitarist doing a solo show. We have only had one rehearsal, thus the limited number of songs as a group, but we will be adding more tunes over the next few weeks and months so that eventually we have 3 or 4 sets worth and can do a full evening as a duo or trio (the third guy plays a cajon).

Gear - my Martin D-16RGT with K&K pickup, though my Boss Katana on the Acoustic setting.

Random1643 and brookdalebill like this.
  17. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    First Friday bar gig tonight with just the band, I'll be using two guitars similar to my avatar; two Mustang III's; one for the guitar and one for the Roland GR-30 synth setup. Tomorrow morning at 11:00, a car show with the band doing a half hour or so and then an hour + show behind a real good Elvis; I'll be playing a pink paisley Tele for his show.

Random1643 likes this.
  18. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Aug 6, 2016
    Largo, Fl
    I run the volume controls, both input and master between 3 and 4 depending on the venue
    It's not about being loud, it's about having the big sound without being loud
    Something about having two amps makes that happen
    People often comment about how good our sound is and about the good balance between the instruments and how we're never too loud
    During the golden age of steel guitar, say late 60's thru the 80's, ( Curly Chalker, Buddy Emmons et al) that was the setup all the pros used
    I've just basically stuck with the old school rig cause it works and gives me the sound I like

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    About a month from now, our school's International Fair.

We are a trio: drums, bass and guitar. It's a very short set, with hardly any set-up time, so I will go VERY simple: Godin Multiac nylon string into a Fishman Loudbox Mini. NO pedals, but there's chorus and reverb on the amp.

Random1643 likes this.
  20. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Tuesday I have my regular piano bar trio gig.
    I’m going to use my new SG.
    I played it for the last set of my Lost Sounds gig last night.
    Nice!
    I played my “borrowned” EJ Strat for the first set, and felt no need to switch back.
    I did not have my usual Gibson/SG tuning hassles.
    Locking tuners really help.

Random1643 and StrangerNY like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.