Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ok, so whats your next gig and gear...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by T Prior, Sep 15, 2015.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I have my regular Friday bass gig in 3 hours.
    I love to play bass, though admittedly, I’m no Jaco Jamerson.
    It’s a fairly rowdy joint, so we’ll play kinda loud.
    I’m using my now standard rig, an import PRS Kestrel with TI flatwounds and a 250W GK 2-12.
    Best bass rig I ever had.
    I look forward to this every Friday now.
    Bass is my “new” instrument.
    20 odd years later, I still feel like a newbie.
    Anyways, though I occasionally wonk about this gig, it’s regular as rain, and I’m grateful for it.

2. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Tonights gig!
    [​IMG]
    '77 Tele
    '98 Buck Owens Tele
    '73 P-Bass
    Vintage '68 Deluxe Reverb with JBL D120F
    [​IMG]

3. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Just got a gig. It will be at a long term care facility for folks with all kinds of serious health issues. About 50-60 in the audience. Covers of rockin' 50s tunes, uptempo and high energy. Our second gig in this format and third time playing to institutionalized folks. The first two were a wonderful experience in lots of ways.

My rig (I'm the lead singer and only guitarist) is pretty simple. A Warmoth parts telecaster and a Larrivee acoustic and a Boss Katana 100. The only pedal (beyond the Katana effects) I'll use is a Fishman Aura 16 for the acoustic guitar which hopefully will be run into the PA but can also be run out of the Katana with ok results. On the Katana I'll run just two patches - a clean Twin type model with a bit of verb, and a Tweed type model with mild hairiness, trem and verb. Both patches have a solo boost effect as well, even though I tend to manage volume through picking. So a clean and a kinda dirty sound with a "louder" button.

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    So next saturday I've got a broad daylight, sun directly overhead thing gig at a local festival.

We played same gig last year and it was so bright out nobody could see any pedal lights, not even a polytuner! So I made this ugly thing, just a box I made into a pedalboard cover

first pic is what it looks like when I stand back a few feet, so I can see the tuner and the lights

second pic is what it looks like when I'm standing right in front

third pic is the really simple set up, just four pedals - not pretty but stripped down and functional

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Tonight I have my regular piano bar gig.
    I’m going to shake it up a little by bringing my three Gibson guitars.
    I restrung my gold top and ES-335 with heavy flatwounds.
    My LP Custom still has heavy roundwounds on it.
    I don’t gig with the Gibsons much, I generally enjoy them at home.
    I think they will appreciate gettin’ out of the house.;)

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I decided the four pedal thing was too much trouble for a one-set gig so I made its little brother out of an amazon shipping box. The white strip on top was just the shipping label. Two pedals, tuner and overdrive. Should get me thru.... and battery powered!

Cute little thing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I'm trying something different this weekend. I borrowed this bf bassman and 212 cab for a fuller sound with my tele, with more headroom and volume. It's a small room, so I'm hoping to use the amp unmic'ed if it will be heard in a 6 piece band.
    I'm playing tele, and using my acoustic with a soundhole pickup into the bassman for an electric sound, instead of my usual clip-on mic to PA.
    My small pedal board plus an extra delay and feedback loop. I'm a little sad to not have tremolo on this amp.

PSX_20180925_231200.jpg PSX_20180925_231426.jpg

8. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Thursday 6 to 8, Jacksons, Gastonia NC. This is a twice a month gig I have been on for over 3 years now. Country based but wide open. We have a special guest each show and we can range from Beach , R+R, Blues even some standards now and then.

This week it's the Emmons Push Pull and the Parsons Green B Bender which is now going to every gig with me. I'm parking the "go to" 52 RI for a while. I'll be sending it out for new frets soon. The amp will be an 80's original issue stock PV Bandit. Great amp for a small/medium venue.

IMG_8949.JPG

9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Plus when you go to return them they are already boxed up and ready to ship back! :D

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    HAHAHAHA!

thats funny.

Amazon should take notice and ship them all like this.

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Is the Belle Epoch a special version?

Paul in Colorado likes this.

12. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Nothing is different except the color. They used to have a bunch of special paint/graphics versions.
    I'd rather have the standard echoplex-colored version, but this was a closeout and saved me $50. Apparently most others preferred the standard color too.

-Hawk- and Paul in Colorado like this.

13. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    My buddy and I, AKA Almost Blue, are playing for 2 hours @ a fundraiser for a local Child Safety Center - a place for families to stay and be supported when there's domestic violence going on. We're just one of several bands who'll be there during the 6-hour event. It's plug & play so we thankfully don't need to bring a system. My buddy'll be playing a Strat or a Tele - it varies, a Cordoba ac-el nyloin string guitar, and a mandolin; he mics a small Fender tube amp for the elec but rest goes straight to the board. I've had good recent success running all instruments >> Boss AB-2 >> Fishman preamp/tuner/EQ >> MXR M77 OD >> Lotus Pedal Trem >> 14W tube amp >> SM57 >> board; insts include Gretsch thinline, a Simon & Patrick parlor with a humbucker in the soundhole for open tunings & slide, and a Gretsch Dixie banjo. Outdoor event, and we're already well into the 30sF at night up here in central Minnesota, but no precip expected and a high of 50F so we'll get through just fine.

14. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Mobile, AL
    It looks like a lot of other boxes I have seen so I'm not sure about the future value or marketability. The duct tape really should be gray IMO.

15. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

the pre-CBS gray duct tape was better.

16. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Mobile, AL
    I totally agree LOL

17. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    tonight, regular weekly at the brewpub. Our guest tonight is Sweet Mama Cotton. should be fun.

Taking my regular tele/SF Princeton set up, plus new to me Gibson flattop.

Nickadermis, Random1643 and asatfan like this.

18. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    In 2 weeks we are doing Heavy Metal Elvis. Peavey Bravo 112 (converted to head), 2-12 loaded with a matching pair of 1963 12” Rola 8 ohm speakers, Black Cat wah, and a Schecter Damien FR.
    Image1538372020.509755.jpg

19. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    Bluze band gig this Sat night 7-10, playing out on the dockside deck, at a lakeside bar/restaurant, hoping for an unseasonably warm day and no precipitation.

As always in the band, I use my Roland ready Strat so that I can add the occasional horn/synth parts. My pedalboard is mostly taken up by the GR55 synth module, so there is only room for a Full-Drive 2 OD pedal, a Deep Blue delay, and a Crybaby wah, then into a Carvin Nomad.

20. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Haaa...I don't know what my next gig will be..or when....

Earlier this year I started playing guitar with a classic country band...it was put together by a female bassist, and consisted of her, me and a guy who had binders full of every barroom country song between 1962 and 2018...he sang lead and played acoustic guitar....he was a bit of a stickler but not impossible....we had a succession of drummers....

So the bassist lines up a gig for 10/5 at a difficult to book VFW hall....we tried to finalize a set list...but the singer would pull out 3-5 new songs a week....Id rehearse/learn them....and then wed never play them...they'd be replaced by another batch....he expressed concern about whether we'd be ready for 10/5.... we sort of hinted that a stable list would help a lot....He then started telling the bassist how to play her parts...he played bass for years, and she is sort of a root -five player....and things got strained.

She also booked another job on very short notice....and took our "let me check my schedule" as "ok we'll do it".....turned out the singer had a conflict and that booking got cancelled....

Out of the blue, the bass player quits her own band....the singer went on his way…and at that point I wasn't going to hold things together....

The bassist still had her 10/5 booking...she didn't want to give it up...she tried to arrange something with me and the leader of a prior band she was in...and that didn't jell at all....the guy did a lot of Neil youngish/America "Horse with No Name" soft rock and original folk country tunes. which were nice melodies, but his lyrics sucked IMHO...and he wasn't into the idea.....She ended up finding/forming another band to take the slot...I wasn't thrilled about putting something together a three hour set in a week.....so I wasn't terribly upset...

She's messaged me a few times since regarding other singers she's found who "want to work with us"....on one hand that all sounds promising...but I am not sure I want to get mixed up with another band with an organizer who bails on their own project....problem is our pool is rather shallow and sometimes you gotta use what you have....

Well see...…

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.