Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ok, so whats your next gig and gear...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by T Prior, Sep 15, 2015.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Tomorrow night I have a bass gig.
    I'll use my PRS Kestrel and GK 2-12 bass rig.
    Lookin' forward to playing.
    My gig last night got rained out.
    Bummer, man.

OlRedNeckHippy, codamedia and -Hawk- like this.
  2. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Off to Houston tomorrow morning morning to play at the rodeo BBQ cookoff. I am bringing all the gear (backline, drums and small PA) and I'm kind of concerned about transporting it in my pickup (with all the rain). I am going to have to bag whatever I can't fit inside the cab.

Plus we're playing in a big tent in the NRG stadium parking lot with no stage. And the forecast for Friday and Saturday has a pretty good chance of rain. So we'll be covered from above, but I would imagine there could be water flowing through the tent on the ground.

So I'm bringing blocks of wood to raise up the amps and monitors. Not worried about anything on stands, but not quite sure what we'll do with the kick drum. maybe set it in a thick piece of plywood. I don't think it will be a river flowing through, but it is a massive parking lot (something like 300 cooking teams) and the water has to go somewhere.

Hope I stay high and dry.

Cheers,
    Doug

teletimetx, brookdalebill and -Hawk- like this.
  3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    When I fill in with other groups, I have to carry 6 - 8 pieces of gear and make the equivalent of minimum wage for the gig. That is a labor of love!

This weekend is my main group... pay is great, gear requirement is minimal - my favorite setup.
    • Dedicated 6 way monitor mix... always set and ready to go with just a couple minor adjustments.
    • Since I have my own mix... I go DIRECT! HD500 (with a few analog pedals in the loop) direct to FOH/Monitors
    • 2 Electrics... ('72 Tele and a Variax for a variety of tones)
    I drive up to the gig... grab my double gig bag and one case that holds everything I need. Setup takes 5 minutes, sound check takes 10 including a full song. Play to an enthusiastic crowd that wants to hear our music. Life is good!

4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Sorry, no sympathy from me while I bask in -15 degree temperatures north of the 49 with 2 ft of snow on the ground :D

Wrong-Note Rod and brookdalebill like this.
  5. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    Pro bono, 1-hour duo set tonight at a Habitat for Humanity fundraiser that provides the opportunity for participants to snowshoe along a lighted trail, then eat soup & bread, cash bar, raffle... A musician buddy is setting up/managing his system - and playing first - so we get to plug & play. I'll bring Breedlove ac-el dread & tremolo pedal; my partner is lately into a surprisingly awesome sounding Cordoba nylon string ac-el - at least I think that's what he's bringing. If not, a Strat or Tele. They had about a thousand people at this thing last year. 6-7" of new snow arrived last night. Low of 1F tonight. That's just winter around here. Will have to get a feel for the room, the audience to decide the playlist.

Tomorrow we're recording an original blues - to the extent any blues is original - for another cause for some radio spots. Then we'll get back to making money for a bit.

teletimetx likes this.
  6. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    Buddy Holly and Elvis tribute at a rather large Elks lodge in Sun City AZ. Playing a custom 5-pickup guitar that I use almost exclusively for tribute shows through a Mustang III. Band is me, bass & drums, plus other guitarist who also plays keys.

Tone Eee and teletimetx like this.
  7. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    OMG, I have an actual gig tomorrow night! We're doing a benefit concert at our local VFW post for a cat rescue organization. I'll have my Reverend Daredevil HB and my AC15C1, and my pedalboard will be pretty small: Crybaby > Pitchblack Poly > NS-2 > Rat (in the loop of the NS-2) > Neo Clone > Visual Sound Axle Grease delay. I'm playing slide on a couple of songs, which is kind of a new thing for me.

8. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    image.jpg

There's the rig. Same as always. I love it. Simple, versatile, portable and the best tone I've had in a lifetime of gigging.

The gig: New Holland Brewery Pub on 8th in downtown Holland, MI Friday from 8-11. We normally play 10-1 there but it's Girls Night Out in downtown Holland so there will be an extra couple thousand people roaming around.

Great venue, with house sound and lighting, albeit a small stage. Holds a couple hundred in the bar including the balcony. Always a good time.

We are primarily a blues band (throwing in some early R&B) but felt compelled, based on the suggestion of the management (who mentioned the patrons will be noticeably younger and rowdier), to inject some other stuff...about 8-10 classic rock tunes that could tolerably fit in our set list. Ran through them once...Tuesday night. Gonna play 'em. Hope it works.

Hey, fun place to play, always packed, we are treated well, paid well and booked back, so...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Random1643, Tone Eee and teletimetx like this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    tonight is road house choir, teaching them an arrangement of beatles/Paul McCartney's "Blackbird". Gibson flattop through a SF Princeton no-verb. Works ok as an acoustic amp.

Wednesday, my weekly brew pub gig in house band. Taking the new to me MIM strat (Classic 50's series, etc.), small pedalboard and SF Princeton. Guest artist for the night is a local singer/songwriter - writes some funny stuff and some good songs. Just another Wednesday.

10. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    This Fri it'll be an Ibanez AFS75t (bigsby removed) with Duncan Phat Cat in the neck through a PRRI.

On Sat it'll be my Dupont DM-50 gypsy guitar with K&K Definity through a Fishman Loudbox.

On Sunday it'll also by the Dupont DM-50, but using a Crate Taxi instead.

I rarely get to gig my Tele :( For some odd reason, most 30's swing bands aren't down with a silver sparkle Tele with a mirrored pickguard. Go figger...

11. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    Next Thursday will be a festival show with an original jazzy blues band. I will use a Music Man Silhouette Special with a scalloped neck and Seymour Duncan Alnico II & Custom Custom pickups into a Fractal AX8 direct to the board in stereo.

12. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    20 minutes or so. Our home bar.

IMG_5367.JPG

Jakedog and teletimetx like this.
  13. Tone Eee

Tone Eee Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Got a punk gig coming up with a Doom band at a gay bar (not making this up).

I'm drumming in this band, and bringing my maple Sonor force kit, Paiste 505s, and a trusty '70s Slingerland snare

Wait, is this a guitar forum?!?

14. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    St. Patty's Day! '67 CS Tele >Pedal board > DRRI.

teletimetx likes this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Weekly brewpub gig - finally put together a 2X10 cab for a BF Tremolux head that I got last fall. first gig with this set up - MIM JB std tele>pedal board> Tremolux. should be fun. Our fiddle man who moved to Austin will be in town for this gig, so there's that, too.

16. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    St Patty’s day at a Mexican restaurant.

Last minute sub for another guitarist with a bassist/singer I know from local jams. So I’m cramming to learn the songs and will even sing a couple.

PRS S2 Singlecut into my small board into my Roland Blues Cube Artist. I might bring the tele as a back-up.

IMG_3979.JPG

brookdalebill and Jakedog like this.
  17. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Tomorrow night is my next gig. Only gear will be my custom studio jumbo acoustic. That's it. Not even a cable.

This joint is a small listening room. There are a couple church choir style condensors hung from the ceiling above where I sit. I just sing and play. It's one of my favorite gigs.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I have a duo gig this evening at a nice restaurant in Wimberley, Tx with Tracie Lynne.
    I will use my recently acquired Takamine cutaway dreadnought and/or my avatar guitar.
    If I play the Tak, it will be through my Fishman Loudbox Performer, if it’s my Tele, I’ll use my trusty Roland Cube 80XL.
    The restaurant, Linda’s Fine Foods also feeds us, and it’s always great.
    Looking forward!

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    St. Paddy's Day.jpg

AAT65 likes this.
  20. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    Solo wedding gig is next. 4 vocal songs & 1 instrumental. Taking 2 acoustic-electrics = Taylor 150e dread 12-string and Breedlove D25/SM, also a dreadnaught. Using whatever sound system they have at the church - I scheduled an evening next week to come in and try out the system, get a feel for the room.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.