Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ok, so whats your next gig and gear...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by T Prior, Sep 15, 2015.

1. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    My oldest friend Steve died a little over a week ago, his funeral will be early in the new year, followed by a celebration of his life in the evening. A mutual friend Martin (known as Scratchman on TDPRI) has asked me to play a few numbers. He has organised a backing band, PA etc. I have been talking to a harmonica player who in the past I have performed as a duo with about doing something together.

At the moment it is looking like Jake Thackery's Sister Josephine, followed by Just your Fool and Route 66. As for gear I'll just use the provided back line, but I'm torn between the engraved telecaster (my avatar) and the guitar that Steve stripped and refinished for me back in 1976;

upload_2017-12-20_21-57-58.jpeg

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...en-hines-leeds-sculptor-and-teacher-1-8910378

teletimetx and -Hawk- like this.

2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Next gig - tomorrow night.
    Gear will be the same as usual - EH Pitch Fork (for down tuned stuff), Rocktron Banshee, POD HD400 straight to the PA. FSR Tele for one set, PRS Custom 24 for one set. Should be interesting - biker bar we've played before, but the owner has asked the we 'mix it up', since almost every band he books plays straight classic rock sets. (I had, in fact, created a classic rock set list based on what they tend to like there)

teletimetx likes this.

3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Sorry for your loss. :(
    I'd go with the Strat as your main, in tribute to your friend who had worked on it. Take the Tele as a backup in case you pop a string.

e44crowe and Paul in Colorado like this.

4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    You wil be playing the Guitar Steve re-finished for you.
    That is the Respectful thing to do.

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Playing tonight but I don't know when.
    This happens at this club a little too often.
    For me, it is an hours drive both ways.

If it wasn't for the fact that they pay well ....

That's the thing about this business, it'll break your Heart.

Lake Placid Blue and teletimetx like this.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Tonight I do my regular Tuesday night piano lounge gig.
    I’m going to play my Les Paul Custom with it’s groovy String Butler and my avatar guitar.
    I wonder if it will still be crowded.
    It’s been very busy there lately.
    Hope so.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.

7. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    The duo was pretty busy prior to Christmas Day but right now it's kinda quiet. Things'll pick up again after the year turns.

I signed up for another year of monthly solo gigs at a farm-to-table café. 4 hours of music with banjo, cavaquinho, 6- and 12-string guitars + vocal. All public domain and original material. Really different gig than what I'm used to, but I'm digging it. Run all instruments into Fishman Analog Preamp/Compressor >> MXR 77 OD >> Lotus Pedal Tremolo >> Fishman Solo Amp, the so-called "Fish Stick."

8. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Mine is a bass gig, tomorrow.
    I’m going to play my groovy PRS Kestrel bass, and my freshly restrung Ovation Magnum I bass.
    Big fun!

Lake Placid Blue and teletimetx like this.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    This one just came in! Winter Farmers Market at the Opera Gallery in Old Town Fort Collins. Half of the Colorado Green Band. Playing the Taylor 812 C into a Baggs Para-acoustic preamp into a Bose L1 with sub. Giving the Heil Fin microphone it's first real time performance workout. Should I bring the red one or the blue one?

teletimetx and brookdalebill like this.

10. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Bring the red one.
    It’ll sound, and look hotter!;)

Paul in Colorado likes this.

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Cement floors - lively room! Show time in 30-45 minutes!

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4959.JPG

IMG_4960.JPG

Paul in Colorado and teletimetx like this.

12. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    And my bandmate's rig with a stained glass name plate. I've never met the offending cat.

IMG_4961.JPG

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    NYE with my other group. Crowded stage - yikes. That's my head and cab. Bass is obviously not mine.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

14. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO

15. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I wish they made a green one.

brookdalebill likes this.

16. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    First gig of the year today at 5:00. Gear is the same as always - Carvin 50W Nomad, Fender Roland-ready Strat, Roland GR55, Fulldrive 2 OD, and a Deep Blue delay.

teletimetx likes this.

17. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    This coming Thursday , 1/11....6 to 8 pm , Jacksons , Gastonia NC. We play every 2nd and 4th Thursday.

2 hour show, no cover but don't be afraid to put some $$$ in the tip jar. We cover lots of ground in 2 hours . Primarily Country based but with R+R , some pop classics even some jazz standards. We ain't afraid to tackle them all ! This week we have a Sax player as our special guest. He will do 6 or 8 instrumentals and we will back him up. ( hopefully)

I am on an Emmons D10 Pedal Steel and usually bring my '89/52RI. Maybe the PV Nashville 112 , maybe the Carvin 50 watt Nomad or maybe the Fender 40 watt Blues Deluxe. It's a last moment kinda thing.

83 PPull on the gig.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

18. 98muted

98muted TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    Playing this saturday at a beach bar here in southern california. Playing guitar/lead vocals in a 3 piece surf/rock cover band. I used to play my telecaster in this band, but since we lost our other guitarist, I moved to my les paul for the fatter sound. Can't complain though, it sounds great with my orange AD30.

Unfortunately, have to bring our own PA. Will be the first show for our ZLX12P speakers, we'll see how they do.

-Hawk- and teletimetx like this.

19. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Freezing conditions cancelled my gig tonight, but I have my favorite regular gig tomorrow.
    I have this gig every third Wednesday of the month with a great, seasoned band.
    It’s a country dancehall gig in Albert, Tx.
    I’m going to play my “borrowned” EJ Strat, and my avatar guitar.
    Just for fun I’m going to play through both of my Roland Cube 80XL amps.
    It’s a good sized dancehall.
    Hopefully the colder than normal weather won’t effect, or cancel, the proceedings.

-Hawk- and teletimetx like this.

20. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Talked to my son in Plano today. Said they had a blistering 26 degrees. Hope it warms up before my trip down there at the end of February.

Have a great gig Brookdale.

brookdalebill likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.