Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Ok..so...it's harder than it looks - new respect for producers, engineers, and ya'll

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by tapollok, Mar 12, 2012.

1. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Wife went to Chicago for the week and finally got to spend my first real time recording.
    Found a free program called DRUMTRACK a while back and got it working for my current purposes. Some latency and funkiness but it works for straight-ahead beats while I'm gettin' my feet wet.

I posted a clip of a new tune...just the concept.
    I Put the Bottle Down (But I put it down empty)

Here's my question:

I layered 3 rhythm parts, just different levels of gain...does it sound too full to you? Does it need some "air"? I just can't hear it anymore...too close to it now...dynamics will come later when I lay down vocals, harp, and a guitar outro.

My set-up is limited: Couple Tele's...Pod Studio UX-1...Audacity...Free drum-maker.
    I even had to play the bass part on a Tele with an octave effect so there are a lot of funky artifacts from that...gonna borrow a bass and lay that down later this week.

I would just like some opinions on the general sound...please don't knock any perceived SRV influence...it's the best I 'got right now.

This really puts the work of engineers and producers in perspective for me...'course I know I'm just talkin' out loud...don't have to tell you all that. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Tom

2. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland
    Sounds good to my ears.

3. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

good start... is there a bassline in there yet?

Franc Robert

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Well, there's a "faux" bassline, but it was played on a Tele with an octave effect to drop it down.

If you're not listening with headphones or speakers with some bottom, you may not hear it.

That's what I mean about my new-found appreciation for recording...
    the bass is a little too prominent in MY headphones...and barely there on my crappy computer speakers.

Gonna borrow a bass and lay it down this week.

6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    I've found that it's much easier when you're making the decisions about someone else's stuff.

I know that's not particularly helpful, but it is my experience. There may be those out there who can hear something in their head and translate that into a polished recording. Never quite works that way for me.

Good luck with it - sounds like you're off to a great start!

Cheers,
    Geoff

7. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    I can hear the fake bass clearly, doesn't seem to cause problems. The rhythm gits are thick, but that's the way you wanted it, right? ... The lead's pretty wet, but you may be you're going for an amp-reverb effect. I'd say it's a good first effort and will improve greatly as you develop it.

8. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Oct 6, 2003
    well played!

Guitar tone is okay but the guitar seems too compresssed for me, like it is being squashed. Sort of reminds me of it being 2 dimensional, instead of 3 dimensional and alive. Personally, I'd like to hear it much more dynamic. Is that the UX-1 Pod thing doing that or are you adding extra compression? The extra rhythm layers seem to be okay for the fullness.

I thought the pseudo-Tele bass was great! good job!

9. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2008
    Australia
    Seems to be all there, bass included. A real bass will make a difference to that bottom end which means you may make changes to the guitars but all good for now. Great start.

10. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Franc - that's some awesome slide you got goin' on rawt thare!
    Funny you're playing Ka'Tiki...we're staying in Treasure Island from the 28th thru April 3rd...always spend some time with the locals there...sorry we'll miss you. You playing anywhere beachside that week? or, can you recommend a cool place for blues close to Treasure Island?

Woodman...does your "wet lead" comment refer to the first or second clip?
    No lead in the first, that's why I ask...appreciate the input greatly.

64Strat...to both you and woodman - the guitars are compressed in the second clip (Take 1) partly because I haven't yet dialed in the overdrive I'm shooting for, and partly because I can't play the riff without a fair amount of saturation. Yes, I am going for a spacey, delayed effect on the lead...haven't dialed that in either. Thus my title regarding appreciation for the guys on the other side of the board.

In the first clip (I put the bottle down), there are no effects on the guitar, not even reverb....same part played 3 different times with 3 levels of overdrive. It sounds compressed or chorus-like 'cause the timing is out of sync. (due to my inability to strum with even tempo):eek:

Those clips were recorded directly thru Pod Studio..just a noise gate and a model of an AC30.
    I'm gonna record some live amps and see if I can get the sound
    that way.

Man, this is great....thank you all

11. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Sounds good. Keep workin' it.

A Cold Shot of originality will go a long way too.[​IMG]

12. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Couldn't resist could ya :D

13. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    I said "lead" when I should have said "fills" ... but you explained it in a subsequent post.

14. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    First recording? Say goodbye to life you once knew.

The problem with recording at home is that you can always do it one more time.

15. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Hahaha! That's classic. :lol:

16. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Well, I needed somethin' to occupy the four hours a day I don't spend working:eek:

For me, there are a couple things in play:

First, Martin, though a new world has just opened up for me (maybe it will be a wormhole) I have no illusions about my abilities, or unrealistic aspirations.
    Second, an architect by training, I now own a company that manufactures architectural cast stone...that monster requires daily care and feeding and my wife holds its leash...I don't feed it...she lets go:D I could loose a finger...

Speaking to both your points - Geoff, rare is the creator who easily creates for himself...mainly because you see everything as an option and an opportunity. In architecture, it's the clients' limitations (budget, taste, gravity) that are the great ally of the architect...they reduce options and opportunities and get you to the church on time. In engineering circles, it's known as "freezing the design"...knowing when it's time put the pencil down and send it out the door. I've made a life doing that.

Cheers,

Tom

17. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Forgot to add...as it applies to Geoff's point:

THE EASIEST THING TO BE IS A CRITIC!

I've frequently been on both the giving and receiving ends;

I don't know which requires greater temperance.

18. woodman

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    That instinct will serve you well in recording too!

19. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    I went in this morning to fix two bad guitar notes in a rhythm part...Three hours later after experimenting with parallel compression I had "re-eq'd" the drums.

How's this pencil thing work?

20. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa

Unfortunately, I believe the "instinct" is to keep wearin' the pencil down.
    Puttin' it down and leavin' some lead comes with the experience of necessity.
    Deadlines and empty bank accounts provide such necessities:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.