Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

OK... so I promised... here ya are. . . .

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ronkirn, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Ok.. so.. I promised….. a Strat build….. I’ll try to drag out the Day it would normally take me to get the first filler coats on it, so a few more can absorb the project…

First, my apologies to someone that did a Spruce Strat a few months ago, and to the Spruce Caster of recent history to, This isn’t a shot at up-staging y’all, it’s just that this happens to be the next Strat I received an order for.

Sitka Spruce is the lumber used for the sound board, (top) on Martin’s finest, as well as Gibson and about anyone else making high quality Acoustic Guitars, It is also used exclusively by Steinway & Sons for the sound boards in their finest Pianos, yep even the Concert Grand “D”. Everyone else making a serious piano uses it too. Further it is found in quality Violins, Harps, and just about any musical instrument where resonant acoustic qualities are paramount to the overall quality of the voice of the instrument. I can’t wait to hear this baby.

First we cut the lumber to the appropriate length, and check the growth rings…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that I have marked the angle of the rings where the two pieces will be joined. I want to joint the lumber at the same angle. This dramatically reduces the appearance of the joint as seen in the end grain.

I adjust the guide on the jointer to approximately the same angle as the growth rings in the Spruce, then joint both pieces…

[​IMG]

I’m going to interject the Finished blank so you can seem or not see as the case may be, the joint….

[​IMG]

and on . . .

Ron Kirn

2. thaus

thaus Tele-Holic

Jul 8, 2007
    Canada
    Cool! Finally a strat build......thank you Mr. Kirn!

3. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Strat Build 2

Now, let’s back up a few hours, to the glue-up…..

A good coat of glue and good clamping technique is the simple way to a quality blank, and/or joint….

[​IMG]

Since the edges are jointed at an angle, I cannot simply clamp them as per normal because the wet glue acts as a great lubricant and the pieces will slip apart, so additional support is required to keep everything planar until the glue dries… here’s a few shots, that says it all…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regarding glue.... recently one of the wood working magazines did a test of the various glues available to wood workers today.... the winner, hands down, was good 'ol yellow wood worker's glue, beating Gorilla Glue (polyurethane), Epoxy, CA, Formaldehyde resin, you name it, on all counts, the yeller stuff won. With the one exception of very resinous lumber like Cocobolo, for those the Poly based glues were best.

now. . . to let ‘em dry.

Ron Kirn

4. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

Aug 27, 2007
    UK
    Nice Ron .
    Good of you to take the time . I love this type of thread .

Why is it guys tend to glue 2 or 3 pieces , as opposed to using 1 piece ?
    I can answer my own question with some optional answers , but I thought it might be good to get the hatchet buried on the matter by a pro .

5. milkshape

milkshape Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2006
    New England
    Thanks for keeping your promise, run the lumber through and then flip one piece to get a flat blank and invisible joint, nice. I imagine that spruce doesn't come cheap in the dimensions needed for a strat.

6. fletch

fletch Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2007
    Wollongong, NSW , Australia
    Hi Ron,

Great to see a Strat build from you , I am looking forward to it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  7. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yep. . . Spruce is more costly than most choice lumbers you may choose. Finding a one piece of Sitka 13 inches wide is a problem, since Sitka used in musical instruments is only acceptable if it’s ¼ sawn. Itt would require a tree at least 3 feet in diameter and the outer rings would be considerably different from the inner rings, giving a inconsistant appearence, some don't mind, some do.. Also finding real Sitka can be problematic, since several other “Pines” are routinely substituted for aeronautical applications. Those suppliers have no concept of the importance of using the real deal in a musical instrument. To them a Spar or Rib, is a spar or a rib.

The tighter the rings, the better. . generally speaking.... if the rings are far apart, the softer wood in the light areas can dint quite easily due to the great variation in density between the light and dark rings, the dark rings are as hard as Maple, whereas the lighter areas can be as soft as Balsa. But the bottom line. . . one piece, 2 piece, don't mean diddly...

While I didn’t count the rings in the 8 inch wide section, I’m guessing they represent about a hundred and fifty years of growth. I have some 1400 year old Black Ash, with rings the same density, so I’m making an educated guess.

I’m gonna be tied up till Thursday, strange, some guys pay money and actually expect their guitar. So I reckin’ I’ll get ‘em done, before moving on to the next phase on Paul’s (gonna be a new member) Spruce Goose (but it won’t fly)

Ron Kirn

8. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2004
    Eugene, OR
  9. Durvish

Durvish TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Jefferson,GA
    Nice! A Ronkirn strat build!

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My Dad had a big batch of spruce since I was little; he's been resawing it when he has the time, for freeflight model airplanes builds.

I think he has resawn almost all of it; he likes guitars but likes airplanes better, and would not want to see his precious wood end up in a guitar body.

It has a tremendously advantageous strength to weight ratio.

11. Tele Tex

Tele Tex Former Member

Apr 7, 2008
    H-Town
    Go my Brother!!!!!!!!!! When you get that one done i want a tele! LOL

Goodluck

12. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    mite just happen.

Ron Kirn

13. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    So I gotta few minutes between assembling one and all the other stuff that needed dooin…

So I have this nice 2 inch thick piece of spruce, with a Strat body lurking somewhere inside. I guess I better get to removing what doesn’t look like a Strat…

This is pretty elementary My Dear Watso*…. Oh, wait, that was something else…..

While still basic, I shot this step too…. Take your trusty template and draw the outline..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I waddled over to the band saw and band sawed it….

[​IMG]

and this is what happens…

[​IMG]

Ron Kirn

14. Tele Tex

Tele Tex Former Member

Apr 7, 2008
    H-Town
    Lets make it happen , Luv your work Man!!!! i see .....................a Tele!

15. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Now, 3 inches is a bit much, so there are several ways to bring it down to the correct thickness. A planer wide enough to take a rough at about 13 ½ inches will do nicely, or a panel sander, my choice in this case…

[​IMG]

I just keep running it through until 1 ¾ is reached….

[​IMG]

now it’s time to get serious…..

Until next time. . .

Ron Kirn

16. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

Aug 27, 2007
    UK
  17. wisdom 86

wisdom 86 TDPRI Member

Feb 29, 2008
    corona,ca
    Thank you Mr. Kirn. I can't wait to see a recessed output jack in full color photo glory.

18. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Tele-Afflicted

Hi Ron,

I am happy to be along for the ride on this project. I will be back daily to check in on it. I am pretty sure that I will have a few questions along the way.

Looks good so far!

Bob

19. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'll try to get a bit of shaping done today.

Ron Kirn

20. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    I always appreciate seeing these build threads. I documented my Ric-style guitars when I made them and found out what a pain in the butt it is to take photos and organize them on top of doing the wood work. Thanks for letting us in on the project!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.