Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

OK, So Appearance Does Matter...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flakey, Oct 18, 2018.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't have been able to maintain such heroic levels of restraint, and would probably have pointed out that the guitar was worth more than her Hyundai.

beninma, skunqesh and drlucky like this.
  2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    She wins Moron of the year award ‘cause that Gibson is spectacular.

Your a kind soul @Flakey

ukepicker and drlucky like this.
  3. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

Great story! How old was the events person?

4. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I took a girl to see the Rolling Stones back in the Voodoo Lounge tour days.

We had great seats, right next to the runway that went out into the crowd.

The Stones came out to do Honky Tonk Woman, Keith playing Micawber, right next to us.

The girl asked me why Keith couldn't afford a new guitar that wasn't all beat up....

I don't see her anymore....

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I would point out, as have others, that pointing out the employer's ignorance is the guaranteed path to unemployment. If you're playing that kind of gig in that kind of environment you bring what looks nice to the uninitiated. They won't know a thing about "tone", tonewood, or manufacturer's pedigree. They will notice if you look like someone who can only afford junkyard equipment (even though you know it's not). Dress for success includes your tools.

Wallo Tweed and 3fngrs like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    You sir, are a true professional!

rebelwoclue and BopT like this.
  7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    You don't know the taste or knowledge of the audience. The sound of a super 400 might have reminded them of a time when professionals used high quality instruments that really sounded good.
    Choosing a worse tool due to one ignorant person's opinion is risking reputation in front of an audience of many.

Flakey and hrstrat57 like this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I keep thinking of this.....

dkmw, thelowerlip, ukepicker and 5 others like this.
  9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The one that actually does the booking is in her mid 40s. The asst., the one that gave me the check, the one that was present during the dinner, the one that was trying to be "in charge" was in her early to mid 20s. I just chalked it up to a very clumsy attempt on her part to be "professional". It really showed that she was new to all this and not up to the task. She showed she didn't know where her responsibility to the tenants, those dinning, begins and ends.

bottlenecker and ukepicker like this.
  10. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Here is a picture of the back but no one sees this when I'm playing. lol

photo 3.JPG

And the front

photo 2.JPG

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Tobias, rdwhitti, dkmw and 10 others like this.
  11. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Johnson johnson, Mike SS and Flakey like this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I play lots of senior living center gigs.
    The playing part is the best.
    The residents always seem to love it.
    I know what works, and I play at a (very) polite volume.
    No problems at all with the audience.
    The staff and management, on the other hand, are becoming deal breakers.
    The venues won't pay much, usually they pay net 30, so if you are lucky, you get a check in roughly a month.
    I had one place give me the gears because I wore a hat.
    Another really just wanted to use my PA.
    I had a place sqwawk when I played Ramblin' Fever, with it's filthy couplet, "If someone ever said I gave a damn, they damn sure told you wrong".
    I can be such a pottymouth.
    At least all my guitars, except my avatar critter are shiny.
    Got that goin' for me!

13. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Well, like I said the alternative is my Gretsch Electromatic that looks like this:

cp sparkle.jpg

14. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    I would have a hard time assuming that the young woman's intentions were good and that she was not just being a hard-A for her own ego gratification. That said, you did play the situation correctly if you want another booking. Good job.

15. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2011
    Penn's Woods
    Very nice guitar!
    I think you handled the situation very well. You didn't ruin the gig for your friend, you got to go home with some cash in your pocket, and the next day you got to do something different. On the other hand, the next day she will still be her same old miserable self.

Flakey and Matt G like this.
  16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    At least your tone wood & guitar cables were in tact

Flakey likes this.
  17. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2015
    NE, Ohio
    That thing is GORGEOUS! It's hard to believe that anyone would say anything negative about that guitar's appearance. I suspect that there is no problem with the gig, or the assistant manager. I think you simply wanted to point out that you have a 1955 Super 400 CES, as you should ;). I have a very new and shiny Gibson ES-275 with a similar finish... barely looks newer looking than yours. My two big band rehearsals with it have generated many compliments on its appearance and sound. But that was a bunch of musicians, and they don't pay the bills. So you handled your situation appropriately.

Although the Gretsch looks very cool (hard to tell from the grainy pic, but it looks like it might be metal flake???), it still looks "old timey", and may generate the same response from the young assistant manager.

18. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The Gretsch is a pink champagne sparkle. It might be a little too much "Pizzazz!" for them. LOL

19. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    That's a beautiful guitar (and amp), Flakey!

20. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    If you really wanna make a killin' on the nursing home circuit, you should pick up one of these more modern designs:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.