Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ok not to finish pine?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by JamGuy541, Dec 26, 2016.

1. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    I'm not so much using it for color... I'm thinking some kind of hard finish because the pine is so soft and people comment on its ease of use. If if was harder wood and less prone to staining I might be inclined to leave it unfinished.

And the fact it's beer and drool proof... all the better. I guess the same argument could be made for a poly finish.

2. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all.
    The main reason I see folks using Tru-Oil on guitar bodies is because:
    1) It's virtually fool-proof. Even a rank beginner with some elbow grease and a lint-free cloth can get a decent finish in a week or three with Tru-Oil. Not so true for Nitro or Poly finishes.
    2) It actually looks nice, even when done by a beginner.
    3) The wood is as protected against moisture and dirt as any other moisture-repellent finish, without the harmful vapors or need for special spaces or equipment.
    4) There are as many "proper" ways to apply it as there are people using it... almost. I've seen so many threads on how to use Tru-Oil that end with "... everybody has their own method, use what works for you." that I've lost count. Wipe in one direction? Sure. Both ways? Why not? Circles? Whatever floats your boat. Sand vs. No Sand? Try on a scrap piece, see what happens...

"Sweaty hands" are potentially more dangerous to a good piece of wood than you think, what with any given individual's personal bio-chemistry, you've got acids, salts, oils, dirt... yecch. You could go from "mild funk" to "dear god, what died on your guitar body?" real quick without some kind of finish.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    thunderbyrd and awasson like this.

3. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    Progress report...
    All the parts are in and I've put too VERY thin coats of Tru-Oil on. So far it's super easy to apply and the results are wonderful... couldn't be happier with ease of application. Progress is being slowed by being confined to the garage during a particularly cold, damp, Oregon winter and busy work schedule. My plan is simply to continue with light coats, sand as needed, and just keep applying the stuff until it gets nice and glossy.

Wonder now if this stuff might not work to fill/gloss up satin Gibson finishes like on my 70's special SG?

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Hmm. there may be something to this...

5. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I used turmeric once upon a time to color plastics, and it does a great job imparting color. Sadly, it hasn't shown itself to be particularly lightfast. I use a different method now.

robt57 likes this.

6. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    I didn't end up using turmeric, or any other tints... decided on au naturale.

The finish process is going well... the Tru-Oil is working out well and slowly building a shine. I'm steel wooling between coats... I'm maybe four coats in... the sponge I'm using to apply it is great for dripless thin coats... so far so good! [​IMG][​IMG]

7. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I went with a similar look on one of my pine bodies - just used almost-clear shellac as sealer and a very thin matte clear nitro over.

The guitar is a chameleon, depending on lighting sometimes it looks darker than natural, other times it looks lighter. I really like it!

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    i refinished a tele body with tru-oil and i highly recommend it. i can't post pictures right now but will try to get some up later in the week.

this was the 1st guitar i ever tried to refinish and i think it turned out great. i acquired this awful looking tele in a trade couple of years ago. it played good and sounded good, but was someone's amateur attempt at a relic job, on a one-piece ash body. it was really easy to get the old finish off. the basic guitar body under the shoe polish or whatever was yellow. not butterscotch. i left the original paint on the sides, so i only had to do the front and the back.

i put about 7 very light coats on the back using a rag to spread it. when i got ready to do the front, my wife gave me some sticks with sponges on the end. the finish went on much thicker with the sponge sticks, so i only put 4 coats on the front. both sides look about the same.

i think it looks great!

my idea on this guitar was that i have been looking at Bonnie Raitt's old strat, and Nils Lofgren's for years, wishing i knew how to get a finish like that. so i thought this tru-oil might do it. and, to a large degree i was right. the naked body was very light colored and the tru-oil gave it a pretty amber color. i am going to do an ash strat body at some point, i will stain the body a little before i put the tru-oil on it.

it was easy and turned out better than i hoped.

i wonder how the tru oil would do on an alder body?

9. thunderbyrd

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    as far as filling in grain: i remember that there were several spots on this tele where the grain was kind of open or exposed, and i tried to fill those spots up. i would pour some tru-oil directly onto the spot i wanted to fill and let it just soak down, settle into the wood overnight. it only did a "fair" job with that. those spots are still a little rough, but not bad. though now that i think about it, i wonder if i had done it 8 or 10 times, if it would have finally "sealed it off" like i wanted to? maybe not, cause tru oil doesn't seem to be a hard shellac. an experiment for the next project.

tru-oil is good stuff for an amateur.

10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Is that on all Rosewood neck on a pine body?

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    No, it's an all pau ferro neck on natural, unfinished pine...thanks

12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Looks good. Nice work.

Frank'n'censed likes this.

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Thanks, again. The only work I did was buy the guitar...it's a custom, one of a kind, built by Reverend's guitar guru, Joe Naylor.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

14. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    I might just get one more coat on before assembly... pics to follow!

15. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    The advice I have gotten is to do a wet (with Tru-Oil) sand on your 2nd coat, to bring up some sawdust into the oil and fill the grain. See here:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-get-a-high-gloss-from-tru-oil-finish.711780/

16. thunderbyrd

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    yes i read that post back when i was doing it, and all that is a whole lot more complicated that anything i did on mine!

the guitar i was working on looked so unbelievably bad that i knew ANYTHING i did to it was going to look better, so i didn't work all that hard at it. and i can't believe how good it looks now, compared to then, and how easy it was.

for instance: someone had taken a small flat tip screwdriver and stabbed at the area just above the PG to simulate pick wear. it looked idiotic: tremendous wear to the wood, and none to the pickguard. i sanded as much away as i could, but two or three of the gouges were so deep i had to leave them. so i tried simply filling those little holes with Tru oil just to see what it would do. the TO just sank down into the wood. maybe if i had done that 20 times or something, it would have filled it in, but i don't think that would have been good, cause TO isn't a hard covering, if that makes any sense.

i'll try to get some pictures up at some point.

17. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    [​IMG]

Here's a mock up shot....
    Looks good enough for me. Not perfect but simple to apply and given it's my first attempt at finishing a body using any method, I'm happy with how it turned out... now to get this baby drilled, parts installed, wired and plugged in!

18. thunderbyrd

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    Looks cool! Mine turned a darker amber color. Maybe thats the difference between pine and ash.

19. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    That was under super bright light. As someone else mentioned, it's a bit of a Chameleon... lightening and darkening depending on light.

20. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    [​IMG]

All together and sounds and plays fantastic. These are my first noiseless pickups... I think they sound great and they really are noiseless. Imagine that . Thanks folks for the helpful advice...

awasson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.