Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ok not to finish pine?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by JamGuy541, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    ok, i'm going to hijack this thread for a sec since all the "stain" guys are here. I have a similar body to the OP but it's not pine, probably ash or something, but it has a waterstain in it. I tried "sanding it out" but I guess that doesn't work. It must go too deep.

Any ideas how to deal with this if I want to keep the body natural?

2. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks... it sounds better than it looks....

the canted bridge PU?.... I didn't want to upset the ghost of Leo..... ;)

go forward, move ahead... as Devo said... :)

Attached Files:

3. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    you're dead wrong. it looks great. it has custom/personalized style and is not over the top.

4. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I love that it looks like you married a bunch of 2x4s used for home construction. that makes it a work of art, not some AAAAAA grade flame finish

5. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

most of the playing marks were put there by schoolchildren,,,, I can't claim them all...;)

6. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    So in one pic you can see the sort of black stain alongside the pencil, you may also see some staining on the horn and near the strap screw. In the other pic, you can really see it in the grain on the side.

What can I do about this? If I want to go with natural, of course.

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

7. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    Had a dream last night... that I tinted the body with turmeric. I'm half tempted to try it before applying the paste wax, using a slightly damp cloth. Thoughts?

8. imploration

imploration Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Midwest
    I'm with jrblue, You should definitely do at least a sealer coat over pine, and promptly after your last sanding session with it. As someone who's built pine guitars, I can tell you that pine changes quickly after being sanded. It'll end up being kind of rough if left uncoated. The last pine guitar I built I shot with shellac sanding sealer, 6 coats and its a dream! Here's a link to it:
    http://www.tdpri.com/media/heart-pine-guitar-build.36051/

9. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    [​IMG]

A bit of a mock up...

A few unexpected turns. Because the body edges had been rounded, the single ply black guard I had removed from my Baja tele and planned to use wouldn't work. It hung over the edge and I didn't want to risk frigging it up sanding it. Had this strat neck pickup guard on hand which does work but had to order a cheap neck pickup for it. Found a used Fender Hot Noiseless strat pickup of eBay for $30. Wondering now if I shouldn't just look for a noiseless tele bridge pickup to better match??? Right now I've got a kinda wimpy pickup from a 72 telecaster custom RI. Anyhow, I'm happy with how it looks now. I've been applying coats of sealer/feeder to the body to quench its thirst. From there, yet undecided...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

10. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    Because patience is not my strong suit... I immediately searched theBay and Reverb for a used noiseless tele bridge pickup... found a good deal on a used one.

I've never used noiseless pickups before and have no idea what to expect. Guess we'll find out...

DrASATele likes this.

11. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    I've decided to go the tru oil route... I'm going to bite the bullet and try my hand at sand/finish/sand/finish... got all the supplies today.

awasson likes this.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Good luck, and light...VERY light coats...with the Tru-Oil. And use the right fabric/material for applying. Nothing that will leave lint--a cut-up T-shirt is acting dangerously.

Long strokes in just ONE direction from Point A to Point Z. Not back and forth, and NEVER circular.

Hope you've watched a dozen YouTubes on this, but if not, please do so.

13. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    Well, a few videos I've watched showed applying by hand... just using ones fingers. That's what I was going to try...

14. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Wait--my apologies if necessary, if I didn't read the entire thread. Thought I did.

Your fingers for doing an entire neck, or entire body?

15. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    The body... someone mentioned coffee filters too. The brown ones if I remember correctly

16. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    The neck is already finished...

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    But you made it sound like pouring the Tru Oil on your finger tips, or body, and rubbing it in with your bare fingertips.

18. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Can you see why I'm confused?

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Tru-Oil is total overkill for a body anyway. A guitar body isn't exposed to moisture, let alone rain:

Tru-Oil is designed for gun stocks to protect wood from moisture, hunters hunting in the rain. People use it for necks because of possible "sweaty hands" that will hurt the neck in what...10 or 20 years?

But for a body? It's ridiculous.

20. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If you're doing it for color, that's one thing. But there are so many other ways to get your color that I don't think Tru-Oil would be your first choice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.