Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ok not to finish pine?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by JamGuy541, Dec 26, 2016.

1. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    I've just purchased a pine telecaster body, supposedly aged, to use up my spare telecaster parts on.

Can I just leave it unfinished? That would be my preference aside from applying a basic feeder bees wax oil stuff that I often use for my rosewood fretboards...

Thanks!

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    It kind of needs to be sealed, not sure what exactly the product you have is, some are mostly alcohol or thinner and evaporate.
    Some sort of oil that hardens would be good and easy.

3. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Imo, bees wax would be fine.. I have used it on furniture with no finish. I melt the bees wax, [about a half a can-full], in a small tuna type can that I place in boiling water. Don't get it near a flame or it may ignite. I then add a tablespoon of turpentine, [or paint thinner], and mix it up. Apply while still hot, but not hot enough to burn your hands. Rub it in hard, to fill up the pores really well. Let cool... Then wipe it off really hard, turning the cloth rag over often, until you get a nice smooth luster.... Using a bit of linseed oil, [or any vegetable oil like peanut oil, whatever], will make rubbing it off easier. You can repeat this procedure over again, whenever needed.. Good luck.

erlinger and voodoostation like this.

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Agree, how many tables have you seen with no finish on the last 500 years? ;)

Bees, butchers, wax is fine. Reapply once a year? I seem to recall a while back some high end pine with a certain wax finish, so searching may be in order.

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Beeswax might be OK, but I would have gone with a drying oil, like Danish Oil or TruOil. One problem with pine is that the end grain goes very dark if it isn't sealed. - You might end up not liking the look.

6. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    The thing about not finishing a guitar (or anything else that will be handled) is it will gather schmuh from your skin; sweat, dirt, oils, dead skin, hair, etc. that will look just dirty and gross until it wears in and gets that "lovingly worn" patina, which will take years. I'm predicting Pine would be worse, it being a softer wood. For a minimal, no-fuss protectant, I'm with everyone else; grain sealer, wax (I vote a harder wax like Carnauba), even a coat or two of Tru-Oil. Better than nothing.

DonM likes this.

7. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    A tint of your choice can be added to the bees wax mixture as I prescribed in my post [ #3 },above. A little oil based stain, [honey oak, maple, or any color that you want], can be mixed with the turpentine/paint thinner before mixing it into the hot wax. I hope, if you use this method, that you will post pictures.. Good luck.

8. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    Pics or it doesn't exist

Rod Parsons likes this.

9. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I played my pine telecaster unfinished for a while but eventually being so soft it was getting a little distressed so I sanded, sealed, white-washed and then gave it a very thin wipe on poly finish. Mine is furniture grade, kiln dried but IMO, way too soft to last without a finish. If it was 100 year old rafters from a barn or factory, it would be fine without a hardened finish.

DrASATele likes this.

10. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    Thanks folks...
    So the verdict seems to be a wax or hardening wax of some sorts. I don't necessarily how gross it'd look without it, only that it doesn't warp. Never had a pine body and don't know much about them... I know one concern I'd read about in other posts was warping, but on the other hand, lots of folks seem to have great luck with them.

11. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    It's not on hand yet... I'll be happy to post pics once I get it... and once it's starts to come together

12. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    I refinish things quite a bit.

Not disagreeing on the wax, but in the time you can wipe on the wax
    you could also do Tru-Oil, and it is a permanent finish that does not
    have to be reapplied, plus it gives off a nice hue on pine.

13. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    [​IMG]

This is the stuff I was thinking about...

voodoostation likes this.

14. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

yeah it should be ok... if you like the roadworn look to happen straight away...;)

some Shellac to seal and some Danish Oil will give you some protection from fluids.... playing marks, not so much..:rolleyes:

marks on tele.JPG

15. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    [​IMG][​IMG]

A couple pics from Reverb... haven't seen it in person yet

16. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    That's a bit of roundover!

Looks good whatever it is.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

17. JamGuy541

JamGuy541 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    Hmm... interesting. I just looked this stuff up. If I'm not going for a really glossy finish do I need to worry about doing a bunch of prep work or can I just get after it?

18. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    I love the look of wood grain on a Telecaster. On any guitar for that matter. My Squier Thinline and BassVI both show their grain through the finish. Please show us the finished product. Have fun with that!

19. jrblue

jrblue TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Pine is absorbent and will suck up sweat and dirt, becoming discolored and ugly. I totally disagree with those suggesting waxes and oil finishes (of these shortcuts, Tru-Oil is probably the best). It is totally easy to do a hard finish on pine. You could shoot a few thin coats of nitro (or anything, for that matter) and assuming you don't create lots of drips and other problems (thin coats; don't rush) you can have a good finish complete in one day -- just rub it out w/ 0000 steel wool -- weather permitting. Nobody leaves pine bare -- it just gets ugly -- and waxes and oils are simply not really "finishes" when used on softwood.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.