Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ok, I've finally had it with pedals...caution: Rant

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WetBandit, Sep 2, 2017.

1. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    there are exceptions... but i have a japanese 4x4 that is falling to pieces (didnt have a single problem during its first 10 or so years i reckon, on the other hand my grandfather had a (ford) corrected: Dodge goddammit Dodge! ...charger that is still running tight.

guitars are a different story... because theyre made mainly from wood, and wood was designed pretty darn good and durable by mother nature

A whole nuther thing is with amps... or oscilloscopes ;)

2. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016
    I can agree that there are a few exceptions...

I own a 1953 Plymouth with a flathead 6
    That still had the factory canister oil filter on it!!!

We will not mention that it sat in a barn for around 40yrs undriven though...

The Guy likes this.

3. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    I have to share this.... check this out:

tek 1.jpg tek 2.jpg tek 3.jpg

...thats just the right side from the scope i just purchased (rescued) as a restoration project, all hand soldered and assambled 50 years ago, isnt that amazing or what.... and it works! And it is truly an awesome tool still. I dunno man... but when I look at today´s technology i get instantly depressed. This is the sort of engineering that makes me happy.

I´d take hand made over machine made any day of the week.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    telemnemonics and 1955 like this.

4. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016

That is a thing of beauty, and a SERIOUS load of tubes FML!!

the tech of yesteryear really holds a place in my heart as well...nothing like it really. I've got a few antique tube radios my grandfather gave me, he says they work but I'm afraid to plug them in....the cabinets need a little refinishing though.
    One is a Zenith from probably the 40s best i can guess and the other I'm not sure of the brand but looks to be maybe 50s and is short wave...hello Venezuela!!!

But we can't kid ourselves...a small computer can do what that beast does in spades....

But admittedly the computer isn't as cool and doesn't look like you are trying to contact Martians.

I'm so glad you shared that!!

The Guy likes this.

5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    There's a lot of R&D, beta testing, etc that goes into a successful design, not to mention a good set of ears to let the builder know when he's found something worth pursuing. Some pedals might represent literally years of experimentation. Popular designs like the Klon or Zen Drive don't spring from a vacuum. IMO, comments about "$30 worth of parts in a shiny box" may be misleading. Also, "special" is very much in the ears of the beholder. For some players, a slightly modded TS or Rat might do the trick.

telemnemonics and El Tele Lobo like this.

6. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    Sometimes, I have to choose between a $100 item that will work perfectly for 10 years ($10/useful year) or a better built $2000 item that will last until I'm dead ($60/useful year).

It is awesome to have a choice.

I only like phasers maybe 0.1% of the time. Thank modern production that I can get a decent $20 phaser to put next to my ZVEX box with maybe 15 components in it.

telemnemonics and Pixies2005 like this.

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Aaaaaamen!

Hungry people are not happy people.

Will these sandwiches be hand-cut, using the finest artisan ingredients, served playfully on an uber-chic, retro clipboard? :eek:

Joking - I wish you every success.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I'm not sure I buy the R&D. Pedals come out like diarrhea from the various companies. Many of them are copy cats or slight variations on a theme. The basic architecture is known and tweaked. However you're are spot on regarding comments of "$30 worth of parts in a shiny box".
    Everyone is entitled to make a fair profit and get a return on their investment and creative, technical abilities.
    The original Hermida Zen Drives, in my opinion, were more hype than reality. It was all based off of Robben Ford's use of them. I had an original version and hated it. Robben Ford made it sound like his Dumble. The Zen Drive didn't make Ford sound like his Dumble.
    I've owned JHS and Wampler pedals as well and it's mostly hype. The differences between a Tumnus and a Rockett Archer or other Klon clones are slight.
    I just purchased what will be my last overdrive, the Analogman King of Tone. I had no issue paying the price because it's two pedals in one box. I have A/B'ed it with my Timmy and a Snouse BlackBox 2. The Snouse is actually a wonderful pedal (and I got it new for $100), hand made, immaculate interior build, etc. Both the Timmy and Snouse have their charms and were nice but the KoT will replace both of them and, to my ears, has slightly more clarity and definition.
    I've come to the conclusion that you should select an OD, delay, fuzz, etc that you find pleasing and then learn how to get the best sound out of it. Wampler, JHS, Earthquaker, Catalinbread etc aren't going to come out with the gold standard that will become the new holy grail. The tones is in your amp/pedal somewhere. Find your tone with what you have.
    I sold/traded 4 pedals two weeks ago and will sell 4 more within the month if Irma doesn't wreck my house and belongings. Then I'm done with pedal purchases until one of mine becomes nonfunctional.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    WetBandit likes this.

9. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    My first ship in the US Navy had been commissioned in 1944, keel laid in '41, designed prior to 1939: USS Wisconsin. It was a flower of technological achievement for its era, and some of the engineering and design solutions were both clever and elegant. But everything leaked, boilers use a lot of water and teak wood decks are a manpower-intensive PITA to maintain. It's main battery of Mk7 16"/50 guns could deliver nine tons of ordnance on target each minute, sustained. By the time I served, her secondary battery of 5"/38 twin mounts had been reduced from 10 (!!!) to only six.

My second ship was a "tin-can" Spruance-class destroyer, DD-997, USS Hayler, and it was much more comfortable for the crew, gas turbines vs boilers so we never lacked fresh water, had an aluminum deck covered with non-skid, and was better able to deliver ordnance from a greater stand-off range due to its Mk 41 Vertical Launch System loaded with Tomahawk cruise missiles. The Spruance class was designed in the 60s, and my particular ship had been commissioned in '83, I think.

Wisconsin is a museum ship in Norfolk, Hayler is an artificial reef off Florida.

Long before I was a PSYOP Sergeant, I operated and maintained weapons systems in the Navy, and I can respect and enjoy old tech, but having worked on the oldest tech serving in the Navy (at that time) and then the newest (at that time-- "Spru-cans" are all gone, replaced by DDG-51, Arleigh Burke-class), I'd rather deal with the newer.

The point of all this exposition is that building stuff to last has a value, but almost everything becomes obsolete at some point, at which point, it must be replaced anyway. Guitars, both acoustic and electric are very simple tools, like hammers, that may have already evolved as far as they can without becoming something else. I'd guess that an off-the-wall-hangar MIM Standard gives 90% of the function of the best hand-made bespoke guitar on the planet, maybe more than 90%.

Does it then make sense to pay for Pyramids of Giza, when all you need is a condo on the coast?

The Guy likes this.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

good luck with that my friend.

This is business principle 101.

I first noticed it when I was about 10 years old and begged my mother to get me a new breakfast cereal I saw on TV... then when I got it and poured it into a bowl, I realized it was nothing more than Captain Crunch in a different shape.

The Guy likes this.

11. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    burntfrijoles, you make a good point about some companies and I imagine there are legions of fans who will collect the whole series or at least remain loyal to one builder. You're also right that it doesn't require much innovation to spin off a new version of an already successful pedal. In my post, I was speaking more of designers who actually come up with something original. R&D is a hidden cost but, IMO, needs to be considered along with materials and scale.

BTW, congrats on the KoT.

The Guy likes this.

12. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    Well... I'll be damned. Life is hard.... Isn't it?

13. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    Well... It depends on the different sensibilities of the consumer i guess. Btw, i've always loved military technology and engineering. Always top notch. Amazing.

You know, i started building guitar amplifiers after I opened up a fender bassman ltd. it did sound quite nice, but when i saw the innards i was left in awe! How such crappy stuff could be so expensive!! Then I thought: "heck, for this price I can do better!" I refused to trash my hard earned money and started making what I believe to be a quite awesome product, with THE best components, top notch... For the same cost than a Fender RI but prettier, tougher, made to last and sound amazing all the while.

Me? I love the scent of quality, to feel that magical aura that is left by the human touch from those who have reached Excellence in their fields.

When it comes to "things" that is what i look for... So, Giza for me please ;)

14. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

I don't think this is the case, but I hope you didn't intend to degrade his avatar guitar in any way. It has a special meaning to brobar and there is a great build thread on here if you'd like to further understand that.

15. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016

One of the main perks of living in a 1st world country is having 1st world problems...

Kinda like this entire thread and the vast majority of this forum...;)

The Guy likes this.

16. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016
    Ummm no....i had no idea...

Just reminded me of that Jackson at first glance.

He even said himself, he could see the why I thought that.

17. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016
    20170907_173449.jpg

May not look like much, but I made this hammer in highschool...

Made from 7.5lbs of S7 tool steel.

I made the handle on a lathe, threaded it into the head then welded it in place...

It will never fail and will probably be around for thousands of years after I'm gone.

The Guy, LutherBurger and Anode100 like this.

18. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    [​IMG]

WetBandit likes this.

19. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Just the thing for ruling Asgard! That looks awesome!

Pixies2005 and WetBandit like this.

20. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    Nice! That's a though looking hammer for sure... To rend into submission all the materials from this world. I love it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.