OK, it's time for a DPP Tele.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Mar 22, 2019.

1. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Kenny Wayne Sheppard concert tonight, and tomorrow is my anniversary. It's gonna be a couple days before I get to flake this baby!
    Must...remain...patient...
    (it's killin' me)

Barncaster and Zepfan like this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Enjoy the concert and Happy Anniversary.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I hope you're not dead...

4. TRexF16

Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.
    I was going to wait until it was completely flaked, but if you're gonna weedle it out of me...
    I started shooting the flake this morning and got three coats on today. Here's the first:
    IMG_8559.JPG
    IMG_8560.JPG
    Then a second:
    IMG_8567.JPG
    IMG_8568.JPG
    On the third I decided to add a little more flake to the mix. It stays in suspension pretty well and I probably could have had more in there all along.
    IMG_8622.JPG
    IMG_8620.JPG
    IMG_8617.JPG
    I'm thinking probably two more coats tomorrow and it ought to be about fully covered. Then we'll let'er sit a week or so and start clear coating while I make a couple necks.

Cheers,
    Rex

tone57, RiversQC, Ekko and 10 others like this.
  5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Wow, that’s beautiful!

6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

fenderchamp and Barncaster like this.
  7. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Looking good Rex!!!!! You're not related to Jupiter are you???????????????;)

DC

Barncaster likes this.
  8. Barncaster

Looks sweet Rex! Do the flakes lay flat with this method or is the surface a micro jumble that needs to be buried under a mile of clear?

9. TRexF16

Mostly flat, with a few poking up on edge. I'm just about to go shoot some more.

Cheers,
    Rex

Barncaster likes this.
  10. TRexF16

This is after the fifth coat. I still don't have full coverage, but it's close. Here's a close up look:
    IMG_8625.JPG
    And I don't expect to lay down another coat today because I picked up a bug on this last one.
    IMG_8623.JPG
    I need to let it cure overnight so I can scrape this guy off. Flaws don't show up too well on this blinding surface. Theres no telling how many other bugs I may have "paved over" in the process so far.
    In the shade, it looks pretty good.
    IMG_8627.JPG
    Looking close at the masking tape gives a good idea of the level of coverage.
    IMG_8629.JPG
    I'll shoot at least one more coat after I scrape off that critter.

Cheers,
    Rex

Ekko, Jupiter and RodeoTex like this.
  11. TRexF16

Change of plans - it's going to be 83 degrees today, 15% humidity, and a 6 mph breeze. That finish is setting up fast and I think I'll scrape off Mr. Bug in a few hours and get the last coat of flake on today. I'll like that better so it can then dry until next weekend, when I will start the clear.

12. TRexF16

Another change of plans. The good news is I went to scrape off Mr. Bug and he came off all in one piece right away. The bad news is the lacquer which released him from its embrace was still very much on the soft side. So I decided to let it sit for at least overnight before I shoot the last of my DPP flake and turn my sights toward necks this afternoon.
    So Barncaster (my partner in this build) and I both think this guitar is going to look its best with a nice amber maple neck, so I am going to make one of those and I planed three candidates down to 1" thick today. I had earlier cut them out to profile from 6/4 stock and then taken them to 1 1/8" and let them set for a couple weeks before planning them down to 1.0" today - pretty standard ops. But I also want to make a 1-piece bound walnut neck for it for two reasons. First, I've never done a bound neck, just like I have never done a sparkle finish, and it's on my list of "got to learn" stuff. Second, these two walnut necks I have profiled out are going to come in under a pound, and with a 2.9 pound body they could help to make a super-light finished guitar. I can always use it on another build but bottom line is I am going to be making a bound walnut neck.
    My prior experience with binding was with binding that was just a bit over 1/16" thick, and I got a great application using a 3/8" top bearing on the 1/2" whiteside 3-cutter router bit. This cuts a 1/16" deep binding channel. But here's the problem. The binding I got for these necks is actually just a bit (almost 1/64") under 1/16":
    IMG_8642.JPG
    Which means I'd end up taking my neck down narrower than I want to after cutting the channel. And I have been leaning towards Strat width (1 11/16") on my Tele necks and don't want to go narrower.
    So I need to come up with a way to "bush" my bushing up a just a bit more. I recall one of our members in a recent build used some thin-walled brass tubing to slip over his bushing to increase its diameter just the right amount. So my bushing is 3/8" (.375") and I need to bring it up a little under 1/64' (.015"). So I got online and spent about a half hour searching for thin walled brass tubing with a .375" ID and a wall thickness of about .012".
    And then suddenly I had an epiphany! I thought to myself - "Hey you moron, what about that other hobby you're all into? You have a few thousand pieces of thin-walled brass tubing, and you have what you need to make this work."
    Sure enough it was duck soup. Step one - find a new .35 Whelen cartridge case.
    IMG_8632.JPG
    Step 2 - run it through an antique 9.5x57mm sizing die. This sets it up to take a .375" bullet by sizing the ID of the case neck to .373"":
    IMG_8633.JPG
    IMG_8634.JPG
    And the wall thickness is just right:
    IMG_8635.JPG
    So now we go back to the woodshop. I marked how much needed to be cut off to match the bearing:
    IMG_8638.JPG
    And, I'm probably at the upload limit so I will hit "reply" and start again.
    Rex

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Ekko and Barncaster like this.
  13. TRexF16

So I stuck this case on a 3/8" dowel and put a Jacobs chuck on my wood lathe and set it up to cut of the needed section. It turned out the dead center tail-stock was perfect to hold the case head:
    IMG_8639.JPG
    I used a parting tool to cut it off and made a mistake here. I should have taken the opportunity to also dress down the edges of the cut-off before I unchucked it but I didn't - I spent a fair bit of time dressing up that cut edge by hand.
    IMG_8640.JPG
    So now I have my press-on bushing adapter:
    IMG_8641.JPG
    Perfect:
    IMG_8643.JPG
    And there's not even any waste - I can take that cut down case and make it a .358 Winchester.

So I pressed the brass sleeve on to the bearing and screwed it to the router bit.
    IMG_8645.JPG
    And cut a test slot:
    IMG_8646.JPG
    Absolutely spot on! I'd rather be lucky than good.
    IMG_8648.JPG
    Note the now semi-permanent DPP flakes on my thumbnail.
    I think I will just buy another Whiteside 3/8" bearing for when I want to cut 1/16" deep binding slots and keep this set-up as is for working ~3/64" slots - it's just right.

So I am now set up to cut the binding channel for this small parchment stuff I got for fretboards.
    Cheers,
    Rex

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  14. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Wow, man! How’d ya do that so fast? :lol:

Barncaster and Ekko like this.
  16. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Or..........................................You probably could have used one or two little sections of shrink tubing. Should have held up for a one-off!

DC

Barncaster likes this.
  17. TRexF16

Yoda (2).jpg

Ekko, Barncaster and Zepfan like this.
  18. Barncaster

I wonder how the Viper would look in DPP? You’re retiring anyway so mind as well go out with a bang!

19. TRexF16

Now that you mention it, my final flight is next week :cry:. Based on what the DPP Tele looks like in the full sun, I expect painting up an F-16 like that would probably violate the Geneva Convention protocol that bans using our laser to blind an opponent. It would have essentially the same effect.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_on_Blinding_Laser_Weapons

I sprayed the penultimate coat of DPP last evening and have just a little bit of the flake left. I'm going to give it a very careful look over this evening after work and use the last of the flake to touch up the few areas remaining that have incomplete coverage. Then I'll let it sit and shrink for a while and get to work on some necks.

Cheers,
    Rex

Wallace Snr likes this.
  20. erix

erix TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Good for you! Enjoy your fini, wear rubber socks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.