Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

OK, how do i go about finishing this body?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by NotAnotherHobby, Sep 3, 2017.

1. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    One of the bodies I'm currently working on:

20170903_154752.jpg

It's a figured maple center top with bloodwood wings. I'm looking to make the maple pop in the figuring while Tryon to preserve as much of a natural look as I can. I also want to avoid tinting the red color of the wings as much as possible.

The rest of the body is pine. This I am going to paint an opaque black or red. Still undecided about the color at this point.

Given my goals, what's the best way to go about this?

And yes, I know the bloodwood will eventually change color. I thought I'd got it with some UV protecterant as part of my clear coat process (depending on the best way to go about this).

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I'd just Oil it. Unless it's destined for a surf band playing beach gigs, how much UV is it going to get, anyway?

Bloodwood (Satine) darkens somewhat, but is valued for intarsia because it tends to stay true to original reddish color, unlike some other red wood varieties that brown, or goo off-color in time.

Very pretty!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

3. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Would it be wise to do a shellac sealer coat for grain filling?

And thanks for the compliment.

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I don't think so. I would think shellac might inhibit oil penetration into the wood. Oil will do some of its own filling, and of course, the maple needs no filler. If you use Tru-Oil, Birchwood Casey has a filler designed to be used with T-O. Downside is that if you're going for a mirror-gloss finish, T-O takes some time and elbow grease.

IMG_0468.JPG

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Why not a couple of light spray coats of lacquer sanding sealer? It's compatible with whatever you want to use as stain and/or finish and cabe lightly sanded within an hour or so and then stained. It does a good job of helping to control stain penetration - just keep a rag handy with whatever solvent is used with the stain.

If you really want "pop" though I suggest tinted paste wood filler after sanding sealer, followed by whatever protective system you want to use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.