Oh, my lowly Frontman 25R... why oh why

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tap4154, Jan 15, 2016.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

do you sound so good, when my tube amps sit in the closet, saying "but it's solid state!" "it's just cheap Indonesian crap!"?

Why oh why do people try to mod you, to make you sound "perfect" with all EQ pots at 5, when God knows you were meant to be played with treble at 1, mid at 10, and bass at 3?

Yes, some of us got that the speaker was a joke, and fixed that with a Ragin Cagin... or another...

But why did they replace your nice internal Ruby reverb unit? Because they didn't know it was meant to be played only from 1-3?

Knobs... those evil knobs... Choices

Yes, Frontman 25R: You knew you'd confuse folks by having knobs they could adjust from 1-10. You KNEW they'd put them all at 5, didn't ya? Yep, the fools.

Frontman 25R... you evil clown! :D

Attached Files:

2. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Slow night?

nojazzhere and JayFreddy like this.
  3. tap4154

No, having a great night. How about you?

4. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

If it works, it works, and screw the modders and others who can't believe that a cheap SS amp can work straight out the box. My Frontman 15G is a great little amp and gets played as much as the other stuff.

old guitar player likes this.
  5. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Yeah, concerning the reverb, you're SO right! I moved to the upper model, 65R (first release) which seems to have a "not so happy" reverb... still working, but not as nice and smootyh like the 25R (as well first model) that I gave away.
    Concerning the speaker... yeah, but RC still adds a lot og grunge, which for me is important. But distorsion is bad all day long... (seems better in 65R)

6. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Try the speakers and reverb on the frontman 212, Chinese made model, beautiful. Why oh why did Fender ever decide to drop the Frontman series.

7. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Oooh, I'll have to try those tone settings. Do love the verb kind of surfy tho. Nice little amp.

8. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I had the Frontman 212 a while back. Very good for the money. I have read good things about the new Champion 100. Still has 2 x 12 speakers and bargain price, plus some on-board effects.

9. Bodean

Bodean Tele-Meister

I have both the 25R and the 65R. Love them both. Next I will get the 212 to add to my collection.

10. DannyJustQuit

DannyJustQuit Tele-Meister

I have a 65R that I got for $50 (!!!) at a Guitar Center because they wanted it gone - it was in almost brand new condition at the time. It has saved my behind in every "problem with my tube amp" scenario I have had, ever! Love it, love it, love it!

11. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

When I have a little toy money I intend to find a used/NOS Frontman 25R as my "grab and go" amp.

12. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

I've had many, many nights, as well as mornings and afternoons, which were enjoyable in significant part because of a post of yours about working with and around the fixed Fender mid-scooping. This was one of those things I knew, but never really examined closely until your post energized my thinking. I found that, once I freed myself from the mistaken notion that setting all knobs at 5 gave an approximation of flat frequency response, I was able to get much more satisfying sounds from both my SF Champ and my Frontman 15G.

I subsequently applied my newly-opened mind to the control settings of other previously frustrating small amps, including a Peavey Rage 158, a Kustom Dart 10, and a Vox DA5. It's amazing how much better I sound when I set the knobs by ear instead of by preconceived notion.

Thanks!

I have read that the widely moaned discontinuance of the much-beloved Vox Pathfinder 15R came about because one of its components, probably a chip, was no longer available. This is purely a guess on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Fender Frontman series is the victim of the same problem.

Jim Dep and tap4154 like this.
  13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'll admit, out of 4 amps set up in my practice spot, I go to the FM25R most often. I like to set the gain at 10 and the volume at 1, insane sustain at whisper volume, great fun.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  14. tap4154

I'm glad to help. Yes, this EQ setting does work well with a SF Champ too. I play my 25R and '69 Champ side by side and can barely tell the difference in clean tone. Hate to say it, but the 25R almost sounds better, but probably has to do with the 10" RC versus stock 8" Oxford in the Champ. Still hard to dial in a good OD on the 25R, but some fun tones can be found using the guitar tone pots to tame it.

I never played the Vox 15R but wish I'd bought one, and will if one pops up on my local CL.

15. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

I'll certainly pick one up if I see one locally here...I recently got a mint 65R as backup for my '96 Deluxe 112 which was originally bought as backup for a succession of tube amps....none of which have have been kept....I'm 75% SS at present....
    Great to see your tone settings....they echo what I have on my 65's....pity no mid on the Frontmans clean channel though....
    I'm always amused when I read about "cheap" Chinese made amps as if its a synonym for "crap" (which has presumably been posted by someone using a cheap Chinese made computer or iPhone:twisted:)..I prefer the term "affordable":D

Zeonoid, nojazzhere and 4seven3 like this.
  16. tlm3210

tlm3210 Tele-Meister

I have a 25R I picked up for about $25 in mint condition. I spent a few bucks and put a Jensen Mod speaker in it.

This little beast is possibly the best kept secret in the inexpensive amp world. Although I'm forging ahead into the tube universe I will never part with my little workhorse 25R.

For what its worth, I have owned a couple of FM212s, I never liked them because the circuitry is noisy. Maybe not a big deal to some people. On the other hand, the Champion 100 is great.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My favorite SS amp with reverb that I have ever played. I'm always thinking about having one in the stable. Priorities I suppose.

18. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

i don't know how the FM's or champion's compare to the old sidekick line but seems to me they'd be similar. my bud picked up a champion 110 and a blues jr a few weeks back. the champion reminds me of the sidekicks i own. i must add.... i'm a huge fan of the sidekicks from the 80's!

19. 4seven3

4seven3 TDPRI Member

LOVE my 25R! Made my own foot pedal for it.....doesn't get used really, was just fun to make. The amp is stock as of now.....keep wanting to do a RC speaker swap....but it sounds really good the way it sits! Takes pedals well too! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452894230.824420.jpg

20. tap4154

in the OP I said the stock speaker was "a joke", I was just kidding. It's really not bad. RC is much better, as are many other aftermarket choices, but the stock one is fine for home play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.