oh great tele-meisters, please benefit me with your tele-kinesys (just a question)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mistermikev, Jun 24, 2019.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

just wanted to draw on the wealth of tele wisdom here:

I'm planning on doing a tele, and have approx 6 bodies worth of wood similar to below. Since setup takes more effort than anything else... I figured I might as well do 2: a thinline and a butterscotch blonde.

so, looking at the wood below... was initially planning it for tele #1 - a thinline. the top would cover the side with the dark streaks. but looking at it... I really like the grain, and am torn about hiding it... perhaps instead making it my #2 tele, which would be a butterscotch blonde? It def hides my join better.

so, what say you... is it a bad idea to use dark streaks and then do a trans finish? my gut says yes, altho the darker grain might look good. Extra points for teles that have trans finish and dark streaks.

DSCN2834.JPG DSCN2835.JPG

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd use that for blonde. The pickguard and control plate will cover the plain bits mostly.

The grain is great on the top bout.

Skydog1010 and mistermikev like this.
  3. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

that is what I thought about the top bout. it'd be a shame to put that under a top.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

the dark streaks are typically the heart wood from Black Ash... which, as was told a generation and a half ago, the original Swamp Ash .. I actually prefer the look, its not quite as bland as the "virgin" clear stuff...

r

mistermikev likes this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

That blank would've made a nice Strat, with all the drama right where the forearm contour would go.

Blond, with a dark grain filler, will look killer on that wood.

mistermikev likes this.
  6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

all due respect, OP, but I was under the impression that there was actual sunlight in Arizona - did you wait for the cloudiest dark day to take photos? (JK) I hadda do a little digital revising just to see what was going on - Ima old dude, just about put a permanent squint on...

body blank in visible light.jpg

body blank reverse visible light.jpg

mistermikev likes this.
  7. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

thank you sir. very much appreciate your input. was trying to see a few pics on the net of what it might look like, and am wondering if it's just not that common, or if it's just not visible once you have a blonde finish on - as I can't seem to see much for examples.

thank you sir! there may be a strat coming out of the sm stock at some point... but I'm switched in to "tele mode" for the time being! Not sure any of the other pieces have that lovely upper bout streak... but then I hadn't noticed it until it was planed a bit.

hehe, this was in my grage and despite having flash on... the hazey lightbulb behind me was just casting enough of a shadow that... well, you see.

cheers all and thanks again for the advice!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.