Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Offset guitars Poll

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bluego1, Jan 12, 2019 at 8:38 PM.

Which Offset is your favorite, in general?

1. Jaguar

22 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. Jazzmaster

87 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. Mustang

16 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Duo Sonic

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2018
    Washington
    Which is your favorite and why? Just a discussion for peeps that have or want one. I’m going to get one eventually.
    [​IMG]

2. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2018
    Washington
    Okay, I’ll start. I like the idea of the short scale of the Duo-Sonic and the Mustang for couch and possibly even recliner doodling. So, I probably wouldn’t pay too much.

3. Bergy

Bergy TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Denver
    If choosing between those 4, I’d go for the jazzmaster. Although I’m considering trying to build a guitar based on a Toronado. Not sure if that counts as a proper offset (and it is discontinued). I’d prolly paint it up like that Ibanez, third from left in your picture. Pellham blue, cabronita style with P90s or filtertrons.

Bluego1 likes this.
  4. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I own a J. Mascis JAZZMASTER that I upgraded the electronics to quality pots and vintage caps and such, then dropped in AVRI ‘65 JM pups. This guitar is amazing. Great value! While I like the sound, it is quite large on me (I’m 5’8

5. bondoman

bondoman TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2018
    vallejo ca
    Never could understand all the Fender hype myself. Wanna see something cool though? IMG_20190110_133247.jpg

john kleeman, Treynor and Bluego1 like this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I've made a move to short-scale guitars due to some left hand issues - my choice was the new American Performer Mustang (photos from before I took the plastic film off it):

[​IMG]

Bob M, zippofan, Treynor and 2 others like this.
  7. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

The pink one:
    [​IMG]

Thinskin JM, Thurston Moore JM, AVRI Jaguar

Bluego1 likes this.
  8. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    My first Fender was a used Duo-Sonic (3/4-scale?), but it was TOO small for my mitts.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 12:30 PM
    Bluego1 likes this.
  9. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The Jaguar and its Pawn Shop variant the Jaguarillo were always my favorite but when I switch back and forth to other Fenders I really like 25.5" scale more than 24," so in this poll I have to vote Jazzmaster. That being said, I've never had a *real* Jazzmaster. I had an Telemaster Partscaster, a Blacktop Jazzmaster with humbuckers, and I have a MJT VTM on the way

I want a real Jazzmaster, but I hear they are not as thick as a Tele. I'll still get one someday. Or a G&L Doheny

Bluego1 likes this.
  10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I voted Jazzmaster partly for sentimental reasons. I bought a new SB Jazzmaster right after HS graduation partly because my lead player had a SB Jaguar and wanted them to match. Had never played one before I got it but loved it. Sadly, sold it about ten years later when my first wife left me with four sons under 8 years old.

I now have another Jazzmaster, also sunburst, as well as a Jag and a Mustang. I like the shorter scale of the Jag and Mustang, but the Jazzmaster is still the one for me. I think the Jazzmaster is more versatile and I love the sound of them. They just feel like home to me.

I'm amazed that I had made such a good choice all those years ago at age 17.

11. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2018
    Washington
  12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2018
    Washington
    I’ve been looking at that yellow Mascis thing, or do they call it white?

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    My favorite is the Jazzmaster, wanted one since I was a kid. When I first got a Jag I thought the scale was too short for me so sold it. I got a Mustang like the one this guy played <—— and realized I get along fine with 24” scale. Fat clubby neck on my Mustang. I bought my daughter one of those new Duo Sonic HS (in Surf Pearl) and realized I like those too. I have a FSR Lake Placid Blue HS model on the way.

I’ve owned several JMs, but down to two—a Thinskin AV65 and a Squier Partsmaster with Novak goldfoils. JMs fit me better, very comfy, and the floating trem is extremely useful for me. I like the rhythm circuit. I just wish they had fatter necks. The new Duo’s I’ve played have a slightly chunkier neck.

ECC46E7A-E082-41D9-91C3-91E2829DD863.jpeg 346E33B1-6CF6-4B80-8414-72C89A1BFF0D.jpeg A6F28012-E8CD-43BA-B05D-ACBDD33F71A3.jpeg

Zepfan, Treynor, johnny k and 2 others like this.
  14. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    I'd say Jazzmaster. I prefer the (big, single-coil) pickups over what you typically find in Jags, although I like the Jag's switching options and the chrome bits at the "points" of the pickguard.

Duo-Sonics and Mustangs kinda look like melted Starts to me.

WingedWords and Bluego1 like this.
  15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    I'm gonna say Mustang because after having a Jackson Kelly I swore I'd never get a guitar that wouldn't stand up when I lean it on my amp. Flat bottom guitars make the world go around.

Bluego1 likes this.
  16. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I just put together my first Jazzmaster and I love it. The trem is awesome. IMG_4110.JPG Granted it doesn't have the typical single coils, but I put in a Curtis Novak Widerange humbucker in the bridge and his hum canceling goldfoil in the neck. With all the switching it's pretty versatile. Unfortunately now I'm also jonesing for a Jaguar.

17. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    It's just my opinion but I like the looks of the Jazzmaster more and the nice full sound doesn't hurt either...

0dDdFkE.jpg

18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    It’s ‘vintage white’, not my thing. I can barely stand it on the Vintage Modified Mustang. My Partsmaster is an Olympic White VM Jazzmaster body with J. Mascis neck on it, with a high quality gold anodized guard. Much better combo, IMHO.

1E7C7000-005D-4F11-A56B-2795FB4E0911.jpeg

19. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I have all of them, my favorite is the Jazzmaster.

Bluego1 and JayFreddy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.