Off the beaten path travel ideas

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by staxman, May 25, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Hitchhiked to Sharm El-Sheikh in the early seventies for camping and snorkeling. Desolate. But I hear it's a big tourist trap now.

Same thing with Geyserville, California. It was just a broken-down $2-a-day camping place with hot baths, but now I hear it's a swanky resort.

Oh, well. Time to fiire up the ol' WABAC machine!

staxman likes this.
  2. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

If you like bourbon, you haven’t lived until you’ve walked the grounds at Wild Turkey.

There are so many places in the states I haven’t visited yet. New Orleans and Memphis top my list. I also want to see Muscle Shoals, although there’s not nearly as much to do there.

I also want to get to the southwest.

Did a wonderful ten day trek through a nice swath of Europe last fall. Started in Amsterdam. Well traveled but wonderful. Belgium was great. Spent a great day in and around Bastogne. Not totally off the beaten path. Vianden was a little more out of the way, but worth the effort beautiful place. Luxembourg City was the biggest disappointment of the trip. I wouldn’t exactly recommend that. Ended up in Berchtesgaden in the Bavarian Alps. Heaven on earth, as far as I’m concerned.

So, yeah, I’m kind of a WWII nerd.

staxman likes this.
  3. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Very cool! Situations like that is when the magic happens.

4. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Sooner or later, the cool places get discovered by the masses.

5. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

New Orleans & Memphis are definite visits for a music fan.

6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Azores!

staxman and getbent like this.
  7. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mystic/Noank CT. A little like stepping back in time to Colonial America. Make sure to check out Mystic Seaport. Also head down the coast to Newport RI, about 30 mins away. The mansions will blow your mind.

Simi Valley in NorCal. Wineries, Restaurants, golf, views to take your breath away.

Seattle. Fantastic. Pike's Market, the Piers, Chinatown all terrific.

Aviano Italy, at the base of the Alps. Stay at Hotel Diamo, do the mountain pub climb (1/4 way house, 1/2 way house, etc.)

Sarasota FL. Too much to list, but don't miss Jungle Gardens and the Bay tour.

Bluffton/Hilton Head SC. Especially if you like to golf.

getbent likes this.
  8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Here's an on-the-path secret for you: try Yellowstone in late March / early April, or Glacier in October. They are both amazing memorable places but completely overrun in summer. In the shoulder seasons, though, you won't have to put up with the buses & rubberneckers. Most of 'em, anyway. And the wildlife is still there -- too much there, sometimes. I've been scared off the trail by fresh grizzly scat in Glacier late season. Bring your bear spray!

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Lübeck

Rovaniemi

Cartagena

Eagle, AK

Key West

Rotorua, NZ

getbent likes this.
  10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have neither the money nor the time to travel, but I meet a lot if international people and travellers.
    I've become real interested in eastern Europe...Romania, Albania...
    And Bolivia.
    I guess I'm attracted to other poor people ;)
    I'm not too interested in Paris, London, et. al.

getbent likes this.
  11. Charlie Bernstein

Here's a cluster of cool, out-of-way places in my part of the planet:

Eastport, Maine: A town that time forgot. Overlooks the Bay of Fundy. The one-time sardine capital of North America. (They drop a twenty-foot sardine every New Year's Eve.) If you liked Popeye's Sweethaven, you'll love Eastport.

Grand Manan, New Brunswick: A rockin' ferry ride across the Bay of Fundy to an island of fishing fleets, red cliffs, and poutine. If you've never eaten a plate of poutine, you've never been to eastern Canada.

Gulf Hagas, Maine: A gorgeous gorge and a campy campground. What more could you ask for?

Old Quebec City, Quebec: Up on a 300-foot cliff over the Saint Lawrence River, popular with tourists but not overrun. Like being in Europe - in a good way!

Quoddy Head, Maine: The East Coast's most breathtaking ocean view. (That cliff in the background is Grand Manan.)

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Paul in Colorado and getbent like this.
  12. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We went to Brugge last summer, part of our vacation to Brussels. Brugge is a lovely city, and we had a chance meeting at a pub with an ex-pat from the US who grew up two towns over from where we live! Small world.

One of our best vacations was going up to Halifax, NS three years ago. We usually just set up in a city and spend our vacation banging around whatever city we're in, but we rented a car while in Halifax and drove out into the wild. Bay of Fundy and Clam Harbour Beach were great, although the coyote warnings were a little strange to see on a beach.

[​IMG]

- D

Obsessed likes this.
  13. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I guess off the beaten path is subjective.

14. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

At least 'the beaten path' is. It's surprising how many people never even travel out of their home region, some never leave the towns they live in. I did a lot of traveling around the states when I was younger, but going to Europe was completely new and different for me.

Our trip to Belgium was my first time out of the US, and it only took me 65 years! Despite the plane ride, which I hated, I loved it once we got there.

We're going to Vienna this summer, and I'm really looking forward to that.

- D

Paul in Colorado and Hatfield92 like this.
  15. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Someone above mentioned Key West. I’d suggest staying on one of the other keys and driving to key west whenever you want.

As far as my areas of expertise, I really love the Eastern Shore of VA/MD/DE. Roanoke Island on the Outer Banks is great.

If you’ve never visited Monticello in Charlottesville, it’s amazing. Of course, as I mentioned already, I’m a huge history nerd. But Jefferson was a fascinating guy.

If you want to talk more legit off the beaten path, Berea, KY is really cool. And there’s an area outside Berea called Clear Creek that’s been colonized by a bunch of like minded hippy types. They’ve turned it back into a real eden. I was originally invited there by a friend of mine named Mitch Barrett, an exceptional singer-songwriter and proud son of the Commonwealth.

Abingdon Virginia is also a gorgeous little town I wouldn’t mind living in. A stones throw from Bristol.

16. Charlie Bernstein

Yeah. Some of the suggests sound pretty on-the-beaten-path to me. And speaking of paths, I have a friend who's celebrating his seventieth by going to Uzbekistan. (!) He read a book about the Silk Road, so now he wants to see it.

Moral: If you like traveling, you'll never run out of places.

staxman, StrangerNY and Hatfield92 like this.
  17. Charlie Bernstein

The founder of Berea College, John Gregg Fee, was a pretty alt kind of guy, himself. Abolitionist. Survived something like nine assassination attempts. He'd be a great excuse for a movie.

18. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Canal boat in England.

IMG_20190420_132635.jpg

Hatfield92 and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  19. Charlie Bernstein

Hey, that reminds me. I once stayed on a barge in Amsterdam that was both a youth hostel and a work boat. One day we stayed on it while it did a cargo run up the river. I wonder whether you can still do that.

I'm Googling . . . .

Hm: Barge cruises

So - you can still take a barge trip, but now it's a swanky affair and not at all off the beaten path. Oh, well. Back to the WABAC!

ricknbaker and staxman like this.
  20. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bahamas Out Islands - Lots of ways to do this, from contained luxury resorts to fishing resorts to my preference, renting a house. Eleuthera is my favorite, because its a big, diverse island with a variety of geographies; and you can rent a car there (from a local, not Avis lol). There are places at the southern tip where you can fall in the water off the beach and be snorkeling on lonely reefs in five feet of water. If you’re a fly-fisherman like me, you’d rather spend your days stalking bonefish on desolate flats amongst the mangroves. One caveat is you have to be ok with flying on small planes - there’s almost no place good that you can get to solely by big ol’ jet.

Tahiti/French Polynesia - God’s own scenery and water, nuff said.

Hawaii - Once you get out of Honolulu, it’s all beautiful and mostly easily accessed. Car rentals are cheap. Multiple islands on one trip is easy.

Alaska - If you live in Washington, it might not be different enough. But then I’ve never been to Washington. Another one where I’d base myself somewhere and drive around. We stayed in Homer most of our trip and drove up to Denali (fly the planes out of Talkeetna and land on a glacier!), down and around the Kenai, and over to Seward for the boat tour etc. then stayed in Homer for a few days. The whole state is a photo opp.

Florida Keys - I absolutely love the Keys, but like the other places I mentioned they draw an international group of travelers, and everyone is a little close together because there just ain’t that much land. Still plenty of lonely water and boat rentals are about as common as car rentals. Like someone else said, I’ll visit Key West but not stay there; unless on a boat on the hook. For guitar lovers, you can see huge mahogany trees and dream how many Gibsons could be made. A short drive away is the Everglades, another place that is almost holy to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.