Off the beaten path travel ideas

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by staxman, May 25, 2019.

1. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

I retired about a year ago and have really enjoyed travelling far and wide whilst I still got the juice. My travel philosophy learned way back in my military days has been to shun where the tourists go and hit the less visited spots in any given locale. My two recent faves were Ireland and New Orleans. In New Orleans, for example, we went to Celebration Hall in the Treme --No tourists for sure. Second line party- catfish, shrimp and chicken frying on a flatbed outside. Good times!
    Secondly, Youghal, Ireland. We took our rental car off into the countryside stopping at small crossroads villages with one church and three pubs--Celtics accents so thick they might have well been speaking a foreign language. We loved them and they loved us!
    So, my TDPRI friends, care to share any unique travel experiences you may have had that I can consider?

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I tell everyone this for good reason, Northern Norway above the Arctic Circle near Narvik.

I ended up there with the Marines and stayed for about 8 months, one of the best places I have ever been to. Almost no crime, great friendly people, and it is like going back in time with the bankers in their green visors and all the coal trains running along the mountain passes. You can vist Hell to the South and I even enjoyed a stiff drink with a man named Thor while the wind roared outside in Feburary. Can't recommend it enough, so much to love about Norway.

thechad, KyAnne, Bill and 2 others like this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

norway.jpg

RiverDog, verb boten and staxman like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My favorites are spots where the only sleeping accomidations is your own sleeping bag, so west of the divide is your oyster. However, I assume that is not what you are looking for, so I would suggest three spots:
    Brugge, Belgium
    Durango, Colorado
    Nelson, B.C.

AlbertaGriff and staxman like this.
  5. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That sums up my travel philosophy also.

Italy - pretty much anywhere in Italy I like. I had an unexpected huge dose of de-ja-vu when I visited Siena (Very familiar to a recurring dream I had when young, with those narrow curvy streets - weird).
    Poland - Zakopani
    Turkey - spent a month looping Turkey with a hotch-potch of other travellers. (A book full of stories there). This, however was just before 9/11, and now the travel situation in east Turkey would be different. Even pre- 9/11 we had daily police and military checkpoints to pass through.

Probably something you never heard about: the day before 9/11, I was in Istanbul. A Kurd walked into the police station and blew herself up. Besides the police fatalities, an Australian female was also killed. Sad day - walking along the streets that afternoon I had an uncomfortable feeling that a parked car may explode as I walked past it.
    Then 9/11. I think tourism changed that day.

Harry Styron and staxman like this.
  6. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

7. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Europe is on the itinerary for the fall, so Belgium is great idea--thanks!

Hatfield92 likes this.
  8. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Italy is worthy of repeated visits, I think--such diversity from North to South!

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Well ....off the beaten path..
    -I loved a trip to the Galapagos aboard a 100 ft sailing ship. Maybe 30-40 guests? Flight from Ecuador, got on the ship in the islands. 7-10 days, they cook, they take you ashore each day. They move at night so a new place when morning arrives. I'd go with 7 days or so, 10 seemed a bit long to me.
    -I took a trip from Ecuador to the headwaters of the Amazon. Train from Quito to Peru (rode on top some!) Bus ride to the "frontier" at the river bank. (Locals selling rusty shotguns and machetes on the river bank) Dugout canoe to an island in the river. Buggy for sure. Guide took us on a day trip through the jungle.
    - There are pristine places in the Bahamas called Ecologic Resorts, nice for peace and quiet.
    -Copper Canyon railroad in Mexico.

Paul in Colorado and staxman like this.
  10. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Hmm,..Bahamas. Now that sounds like the ticket!

11. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Invariably, my fondest international travel memories are when we decide to go somewhere "off the beaten path" - to see some more remote area, getting a rental car (regardless of which side of the road) and stopping in towns or at unexpected sites along the way. Major tourism venues can certainly be impressive - their reputation is based on something, after all - but that's not where the fondest memories come from.

Go places where you can see people in their element, and randomly bump into the unexpected. Stopping at a no-name restaurant where you are greeted and treated like family - even in an area where you might expect hostility; going to a remote corner on the other side of the earth and randomly sitting next to someone who knows your best friend and their family; seeing an incredible historical or geographical site that nobody even talks about; getting amazing, intimate help from locals who are warm, incredible people. This is the best part of travel - getting out on your own and having some adventure. While it is admittedly harder in some areas due to language and cultural barriers outside of the city, it still never fails to deliver.

staxman and VWAmTele like this.
  12. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

If you liked the more remote places in Ireland, I’d suggest Scotland and Wales. The Scottish highlands are beautiful. We also had a great time in Pembrookeshire Wales. We stayed in Fishguard and hiked the coastal trail. It was gorgeous and we enjoyed the small towns and pubs.

13. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

About 4 years ago I took my 4wd across the Simpson Desert, 1100 sand dunes to cross over about 500km, there's three different "lines" that go across the desert, basically just two wheel ruts in the sand but easy to follow. Complete self sufficiency required as no facilities anywhere once you leave the last Roadhouse ( which is in the middle of nowhere itself!) Lots of fellow travellers so you'd rarely go for much more than an hour without passing someone in the opposite direction. It took 4 days as you only average about 20km/h and we'd travel from about 9am till 3pm then set up camp. Would be getting dark by 5pm and below freezing by about 8pm.

A few pics from the net.. Simpson-Desert-safari-3 (1).jpg images (27).jpeg 343__TN1000x800.jpg

Best trip of my life. Come on over and you can jump on organised versions of the trip..

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Syria.

staxman likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I look up all the factory tours in the area wherever going. From wineries, chips, chocolates, to motorcycles -- and guitars ;)

fnkmstr, Hatfield92 and staxman like this.
  16. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Couldn't have said it better myself!

17. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Whoa! Now's THAT"S off the beaten path!

richiek65 likes this.
  18. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

I'm not that brave and adventurous:)

19. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Scotland is definitely on the next trip to Europe!

20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I do the same thing. Several months ago my wife and I were vacationing in Switzerland and decided to take an overnight trip to Milan. We were stretching the travel budget, so we chose moderate accommodations. Anyway, we were walking back streets in the evening looking for a cafe when these workers saw us. You can pretend to not be a tourist all you want, but as an American...it's still pretty obvious on the back streets of Milan. They motioned us over and asked to us come in and see what they were doing. So in we go. It turned out that they were artists renovating a painting. We followed them through the door, and there we were...standing right in front of Leonardo DaVinci's Last Supper! Just amazing!!! No one else there...no tours...nothing. Just us, these workers, and a masterpiece.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.