Oddball diy amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by ponce, May 4, 2019.

1. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I've stumbled upon this bizzare diy tube amp on a listing for around 70$. It looks so sick as is, but maybe I'd try to convert it to some other form, if I knew it was worth it. I have no possibility to try it out at the moment, so I was just thinking if any of you had an idea of what it could sound like, taking its components in account: kucno-lampasko-pojacalo-1.5w-2-x-ecl-82-prodajem-mijenjam-slika-45070934.jpg kucno-lampasko-pojacalo-1.5w-2-x-ecl-82-prodajem-mijenjam-slika-45070932.jpg kucno-lampasko-pojacalo-1.5w-2-x-ecl-82-prodajem-mijenjam-slika-45070925.jpg 1,5W 2xECL 82 6" speaker, master volume and a tone switch.

stevemc and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I bet it would sound great, but any unknown homebrew should be checked for safety. It may have been put together by an angry gorilla!

Wally and ponce like this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

ECL82 is pretty cool, combination triode and pentode, often used in old radios. Soviet name is 6F3P.

I bet it's wired with the two pentodes in parallel like this Gibsonette, but with a solid-state rectifier and possibly some different values.
    [​IMG]

Greta is similar, only it has triodes in the output:
    [​IMG]

The pentodes might be wired in triode configuration if it's only putting out 1.5W.
    http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0052.htm

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    ponce likes this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

The chassis says Aiwa Cassette deck ... Some industrious cobbling ... Keep us updated!!!

ponce likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Safety? We don’t need no stinkin’ safety!!!!! ..lol.... those exposed contact points on the PT indicate that the builder should give serious safety warnings to prospective buyers,imho.
    As for what it would sound like? A good picture of the circuit might give some an idea as to what was built there. Even that would not tell us what it does sound but rather only tells us what the design points at.

ponce likes this.
  6. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

This is a 'safe mode' with a back panel on.:lol: The more I look at the pictures, the cuter it gets in its naivety. Hopefully the circuit is more elaborate than the cabinet, which looks as if it's been assembled under certain substance use.

I might get it just out of curiosity... kucno-lampasko-pojacalo-1.5w-2-x-ecl-82-prodajem-mijenjam-slika-45070929.jpg

jimytheassassin and Wally like this.
  7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I love the drawer handle.

ponce likes this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Pounce, if you get it, the back panel needs to be opened up a bit at the top so as to allow some airflow to cool things down. And..yes...curiosity can be a strong driving Force.

ponce likes this.
  9. stepvan

stepvan TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

what a cool find! no doubt it sounds good. definitely unique

10. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I'd hit it.

11. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

For $70, find a used 5w production tube amp like the monoprice/stage right.

If you wanna go DIY, throw away the PCBs and put something else inside.

This looks like the home made guns that people build in third world countries to fight their corrupt governments and it is probably about as safe.

I doubt this guy put $10 into this amp- if you really want it, offer him what the parts are worth.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.